Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anyone want to help out a non-Machead :(

iPhone? More like MyPhone CONVBMW's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Anyone want to help out a non-Machead :(
    Well, I am not a Machead so I will humbly ask for some assistance. Here are the specs. ( I am pretty sure that its the version of iTunes)

--Macbook OS X 10.4.11

--iTunes 9. (tried updating but it wont let me. Error message says not compatible with that version)

--PT 4.1.2

Made the custom FW, tried loading it in DFU mode that was done thru PT. Verifies restore with Apple then I keep getting the message, "the iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occured. (2010)

Anyone out there got any suggestions ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

The precondition to use custom firmware is that you must be jailbroken first. You cannot restore to cfw from a stock firmware.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Not true anymore Yeow. New pwnage tool allows installation of custom firmware even from a non jailbroken device. His issue is that he needs to update iTunes to latest version. Also not sure if pwnage tool works on Mac osx 10.4. Try updating iTunes first and see if it works then.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Not true anymore Yeow. New pwnage tool allows installation of custom firmware even from a non jailbroken device. His issue is that he needs to update iTunes to latest version. Also not sure if pwnage tool works on Mac osx 10.4. Try updating iTunes first and see if it works then.
    Well, thats the thing. iTunes cant update past 9 as its not supported on the OS X version I have. So then........LOL..........the OS X says that there is no software update. Its like a double edged sword. Why on earth would a computer be made, with a software, that wont allow the latest version of iTunes to be installed. AND they are all from the same company ?

Thanks

You may be right but I have not read anything about that. Pwnage tools and Snowbreeze always use an existing exploit on the jailbroken iphone to a new jailbroken firmware. PM me a link so I could read it. Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    You may be right but I have not read anything about that. Pwnage tools and Snowbreeze always use an existing exploit on the jailbroken iphone to a new jailbroken firmware. PM me a link so I could read it. Thanks.
    I am curious about this one. I would think that there would be some kind of information on the Dev Team header stating that it would have to be previously JB. I am not saying you are wrong but I would love you to be right

You have your answer then. Time for an upgrade
    Ah. Please educate me. On a Mac, are upgrades of that nature not a freebie ? I am asking as I just dont know and its not my computer.

Thanks
    Last edited by CONVBMW; 2010-10-24 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Just check the iPhone dev blog. The special dfu mode that is incorporated into pwnage tool uses geohots limera1n exploit to convince the phone to allow a custom firmware. Sn0wbreeze does not have this yet.

Thanks

How old is your Mac ? Don't tell me it is over 10 years old. You can go to your friends or neighbours and use their pc. Buy them 6 packs of beers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CONVBMW View Post
    I am curious about this one. I would think that there would be some kind of information on the Dev Team header stating that it would have to be previously JB. I am not saying you are wrong but I would love you to be right

Ah. Please educate me. On a Mac, are upgrades of that nature not a freebie ? I am asking as I just dont know and its not my computer.

Thanks
    I just meant time to upgrade to snow leopard. I agree it is strange that iTunes 10 won't install on osx 10.4 when it will on windows xp. Have you tried downloading and installing it manually from apple's site?

Quote Originally Posted by CONVBMW View Post
    Well, thats the thing. iTunes cant update past 9 as its not supported on the OS X version I have. So then........LOL..........the OS X says that there is no software update. Its like a double edged sword. Why on earth would a computer be made, with a software, that wont allow the latest version of iTunes to be installed. AND they are all from the same company ?
    Probably for the same reason I can't update Internet Explorer on the Dell that I bought with Windows 95.

PPC is still a nice architecture, but its Glory Days have come and gone, and its now entered the Twilight. Cherish your MacBook while it lives.

Thanks

The new pwnage tools uses the exploit of GP or Limerain to bring you up to 4.1 while preserving BB. If you are prejailbroken with GP or Limera1n at 4.0 , 4.0.1,4.0.2, then Pwnage tools might work for you.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-24 at 06:41 AM.

Thanks

The new pwnage tools uses the exploit of GP or Limerain to bring you up to 4.1 while preserving BB. If you are prejailbroken with GP or Limera1n, then Pwnage tools might work for you.
    Funny thing is up till to date, i have not seen any success with Pwnage tools 4.1
    Well I have used pwnage tool on a few stock 4.1 iPhones without issue so it definitely works. Also I'm not so sure just being jailbroken with greenpoison or limera1n will allow installation of custom firmware. You are thinking in terms of the old
    Pwnage exploit for iPhone 3G. This new bootrom exploit is a tethered one. Since nobody wants a tethered jailbreak this exploit is being used as
    Kind of an access point to apply
    A untethered userland jailbreak (courtesy of Comex). So in actual fact greenpoison and limera1n while they are using a bootrom exploit will not allow custom firmware to be installed since the end result is a userland jailbreak. Same goes for the new pwnage tool. It uses the exploit to allow restoring of the custom firmware. But even when on this custom firmware you will need pwnage tool to put it in dfu again if you want to restore to another custom firmware. The jailbreak train is a little different now

Thanks

So you are saying to use the new Pwnage tools, you can restore to stock 4.1 and jailbreak with Pwnage tools 4.1 or you can restore to stock 4.0 and jailbreak with Pwnage tools 4.1 to jailbreak 4.1. Now where did the exploit come from , from Stock ?

Where is the preserved baseband ? Where is the bootrom exploit come from , is it from Pwnage tools itself ?

If your iphone is already using Pwnage tools, then yes, you can restore again with Custom firmware. It still satisfy the condition of a prejailbroken iphone.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-24 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Just check the iPhone dev blog. The special dfu mode that is incorporated into pwnage tool uses geohots limera1n exploit to convince the phone to allow a custom firmware. Sn0wbreeze does not have this yet.
    That would make sense and I actually read that and I believe it.

How old is your Mac ? Don't tell me it is over 10 years old. You can go to your friends or neighbours and use their pc. Buy them 6 packs of beers.

LOL. Its not mine but I am pretty sure is not that old. LOL

I just meant time to upgrade to snow leopard. I agree it is strange that iTunes 10 won't install on osx 10.4 when it will on windows xp. Have you tried downloading and installing it manually from apple's site?
    I agree that its completely redundant and silly. I have tried to do a direct DL. No go
    Last edited by CONVBMW; 2010-10-24 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Convbmw, you can prove it to us, find a machine that has the latest itunes and use Pwnage tools 4.1 to restore from a stock 4.1. Let us know if you can do it.

Thanks

think of it in terms of something you are more familiar with, along the same lines of why they didn't carry iOS above 3.1.3 for the 2G iPhone or why they don't natively allow multitasking on the 3G, as to why it works on an xp machine is Apple has no control of the hardware installed on a windows machine like they do on a mac
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-10-24 at 07:39 AM.

Thanks

So you are saying to use the new Pwnage tools, you can restore to stock 4.1 and jailbreak with Pwnage tools 4.1 or you can restore to stock 4.0 and jailbreak with Pwnage tools 4.1 to jailbreak 4.1. Now where did the exploit come from , from Stock ?

Where is the preserved baseband ? Where is the bootrom exploit come from , is it from Pwnage tools itself ?

If your iphone is already using Pwnage tools, then yes, you can restore again with Custom firmware. It still satisfy the condition of a prejailbroken iphone.
    You don't need to restore to 4.1 and then use pwnage tool, although it would still work, since that defeats the purpose of preserving the baseband. You are still thinking in terms of the old bootrom exploit and old rules for installing a custom firmware. This new pwnage tool has the exploit built into it and deploys it during the dfu process. You have to do this every time you want to restore to a custom firmware right now because of the nature of these new jailbreaks which I explained in my previous post. So jailbroken or not on a iPhone 4/iPad/3GS new bootrom/iPod touch 3G and 4G pwnage tool has to be used to exploit the device in order for the custom firmware to be installed.

Thanks

x98car, I think you are right about the pwnage tools that will jailbreak from stock. I just read it, it didn't mention anything about you have to be prejailbroken first, but they also didn't mention you can just jailbreak from stock firmware, anyway my apology to you

Thanks

No apologies needed. Just good ole information sharing