Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Still learning but a Q about Repos

Default Still learning but a Q about Repos
    What are other SAFE repositories that we can add to the repo list in our cydia accounts?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but I'm seeing if there are other repo sources that I can add that you Gus trust.

Also, can you guys explain SSH to me better than Cydia does? Trying to make the most/safest jb experiencefor myself.

Thanks a lot,

Jon

Bump

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

The ones that come already packaged with Cydia are fine by themself. If you do not use SSH or don't need it then there is no need to install it.

SSH allows you to connect to your iPhone from a computer to transfer or exchange items in the file system. Sometimes it allows you to fix things too. But if you don't plan on using it then don't install OpenSSH. If you do then follow what Cydia says to change password. If it is not installed then no worries.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

SepticTank (2010-10-28)

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    The ones that come already packaged with Cydia are fine by themself. If you do not use SSH or don't need it then there is no need to install it.

SSH allows you to connect to your iPhone from a computer to transfer or exchange items in the file system. Sometimes it allows you to fix things too. But if you don't plan on using it then don't install OpenSSH. If you do then follow what Cydia says to change password. If it is not installed then no worries.
    Thanks a lot for clearing that up for me.

So is iFile similar to openssh?

Thanks

not really, ifile is a file browser on the phone itself to where openssh allows a connection from a computer to access the files using something like winscp

7. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

SepticTank (2010-10-28)

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    not really, ifile is a file browser on the phone itself to where openssh allows a connection from a computer to access the files using something like winscp
    Say I wanted to learn more aspects of having a jb phone and become more knowledgeable. Would you recommend it and how would it be set up?

I saw ssh and you need winscp as a desktop client to access. I've read up on but it's certainly a level up from a User category.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my Qs.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

'If' ur wanting to SSH into your phone, u can use it to extract Themes, Music, Documents, backup all ur Applications, etc, etc. onto ur computer. You can even install Cydia Apps if you already have the App file (called a .deb file) without an Internet connection!

Expanding on this: I took a theme that was made for 2G-3GS phones and edited the images (.png files) in Photoshop to work with my iPhone 4. Then I just dragged the 'edited' theme back onto my phone. Along with iFile, you can tweak several elements of your phone.

In my opinion, u should get IPhone Explorer to SSH instead of WinSCP. WinSCP takes some configuring and is very user-unfriendly (IMHO) while IPhone Explorer is USB-based but loads your filesystem quickly. Now, IPhone Explorer does not have the 'search' function and certain editing capabilities like WinSCP but iFile does that stuff QUICKLY! But if you're gonna use it to transfer files back and forth to a computer it's ur best (and easiest) software....and it's FREE!!!

Hope that helps!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

SepticTank (2010-10-28)

Thanks

BTW, currently I'm trying to help a soldier in Afghanistan that cannot get WiFi but has hard-wired internet/ computer/CD burning access. He has to burn programs & .deb files to a disk that he can run on his computer when he gets back to his tent. I'm trying to explain to him how he can install Cydia and unlock his phone without the use of WiFi so that he can use a local carriers service. All of this is done with IPhone Explorer (SSH)!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

SepticTank (2010-10-28)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It's hard to SSH without wifi. There are programs such as diskaid, ifunbox, iphonebrowser, etc that don't use wifi, but a Cydia tweak called "afc2add" is needed to access root files. Of course that means Cydia is needed which is what you're trying to install in the first place via SSH. So basically wifi is necessary.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

SepticTank (2010-10-28)

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    'If' ur wanting to SSH into your phone, u can use it to extract Themes, Music, Documents, backup all ur Applications, etc, etc. onto ur computer. You can even install Cydia Apps if you already have the App file (called a .deb file) without an Internet connection!

Expanding on this: I took a theme that was made for 2G-3GS phones and edited the images (.png files) in Photoshop to work with my iPhone 4. Then I just dragged the 'edited' theme back onto my phone. Along with iFile, you can tweak several elements of your phone.

In my opinion, u should get IPhone Explorer to SSH instead of WinSCP. WinSCP takes some configuring and is very user-unfriendly (IMHO) while IPhone Explorer is USB-based but loads your filesystem quickly. Now, IPhone Explorer does not have the 'search' function and certain editing capabilities like WinSCP but iFile does that stuff QUICKLY! But if you're gonna use it to transfer files back and forth to a computer it's ur best (and easiest) software....and it's FREE!!!

Hope that helps!
    So exactly what would the best set up be? And what are the apps/programs I would need to successfully enter my phone. I would like to explore it first before tweaking things. I want to learn all aspects safely and properly.

Thanks for the huge post!

Thanks

@Anniex423
    I have noticed recently that afc2add isn't required anymore. Sounds odd but it's true! I don't know if it's been incorporated into the jailbreak or what but I can jailbreak the phone with limera1n and immediately Iphone Explorer can access the Root (/) folders without afc2add. Again, this has been confirmed by a few people that I've helped out recently.

@SepticTank
    I think u know what my favorite is but you can try any of the others if you want. Like Anniex423 said, WinSCP requires a WiFi connection (*I couldnt ever get the USB tether working) so there is some setup with that.

Let us know what you choose!!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

SepticTank (2010-10-28)

Thanks

i do know that afc2add is incorporated into greenpois0n, not sure about limera1n though

19. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

SepticTank (2010-10-28)

Thanks

Ahhh, then it must also be in limera1n since it obviously works and I don't have afc2add currently installed on my ip4! Good find!