Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: jb, att, ip4 newbie

  1. #1
    Default jb, att, ip4 newbie
    Hi there,

    I know this is a very big newbie question and I apologize in advance if was already been answered. I tried searching for threads that would answer my question and found none.

    I finally decided to make the switch to ATT and got the ip4 on 4.1. I want to jailbreak it but what i am afraid of is that if i jailbreak it and it becomes a brick and i need to restore, will ATT find out and know that I had jailbroken it before? Right now it is under warranty so if I jailbreak it that means my warranty is valid right?

    I dont know the exact risk of jailbreaking when it has never been jailbroken before.

    Thanks for the help guys

  2. #2
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    As long as they don't know you jailbroke it, then the warranty is still good. If you bring it in for repair and you did not do a fresh restore, then the warranty might not work.
    You can jailbreak either by GreenPoison or Limera1n. It won't becomes a brick unless you do something really foolish.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

    pimpsterritard (2010-10-25)

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    As long as they don't know you jailbroke it, then the warranty is still good. If you bring it in for repair and you did not do a fresh restore, then the warranty might not work.
    You can jailbreak either by GreenPoison or Limera1n. It won't becomes a brick unless you do something really foolish.
    So as long my phone is restored to the factory settings they can't detect that it has been jailbroken before correct?

    Thanks for your help! Greatly appreciate it.

  5. #4
    Retired Moderator j3st3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,447
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 405 Times in 395 Posts

    I'm sure they dug deep enough they might be able to tell, but I don't remember seeing anyone here ever say that they were turned away because they dug deep enough

  6. #5
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Those reps just look at the springboard. I too haven't seen anybody have a problem using their warranty to get a replacement phone after restoring to factory settings. If the phone doesnt boot or turn on, they just switch it out. All they do is try to restore it and if that fails, they still switch it out

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

    pimpsterritard (2010-10-25)

  8. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Those reps just look at the springboard. I too haven't seen anybody have a problem using their warranty to get a replacement phone after restoring to factory settings. If the phone doesnt boot or turn on, they just switch it out. All they do is try to restore it and if that fails, they still switch it out
    oh awesome thanks! I dont know if it is my iphone 4 or if it is a software issue, but every time i receive a call and I barely have the phone held to my head it hangs up the call. I would have to put my phone on speaker or put on my headphones to have a full conversation without it having to hang up.

    But thanks for the info! I'm going to start jb to join the community

  9. #7
    Hi
    For that problem you go to replace your I phone as long as you have grantee from apple as you have real problem with sensor top the speaker
    And apple said it's fix by last update 4.1 so if you have last update and still with same problem go now please and don't lose any more time you well get new I phone and ask them you like to have new one not refresh one start the sim with 5 k that's mean the I phone refresh and if you call apple they must send you new one and you send yours back to them if you don't like to talk to apple care service I hope that's help you


    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovertoever For This Useful Post:

    pimpsterritard (2010-10-25)

  11. #8
    Default top speaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovertoever View Post
    Hi
    For that problem you go to replace your I phone as long as you have grantee from apple as you have real problem with sensor top the speaker
    And apple said it's fix by last update 4.1 so if you have last update and still with same problem go now please and don't lose any more time you well get new I phone and ask them you like to have new one not refresh one start the sim with 5 k that's mean the I phone refresh and if you call apple they must send you new one and you send yours back to them if you don't like to talk to apple care service I hope that's help you


    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    i haven't jailbroken yet, i was about too until i saw your message. So i can take it to apple to have them fix the problem? I just switched to att and the phone is 4.1os. Do I need to go to the apple store or the corporate att dealer to have them fix this? If I bring it in to the Apple Store, do I need to specifically request 5k? Thank you for your help!

  12. #9
    Retired Moderator j3st3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,447
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 405 Times in 395 Posts

    apple will have to replace it, AT&T won't (at least where I live)

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

    pimpsterritard (2010-10-25)

  14. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    apple will have to replace it, AT&T won't (at least where I live)
    thanks for everyone's help! you guys are awesome!

  15. #11
    Retired Moderator j3st3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,447
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 405 Times in 395 Posts

    np

  16. #12
    Ok so I went to the apple store and this guy said not all iphone 4's are upgraded and that he and apple does not do the 5k thing to the sim. He says that's att and they also don't disclose that kind of information to customers because they don't want people to jb and unlock the phone. so the firmware has changed and updating it will change your firmware. He also said that all iphone 4's are not "refurbished" so they all should be "new"

    So my new phone is on 4.0.2os. Should I even bother to update to 4.1? Or should I use another program to jb 4.0.2? Any suggestions which program to use? Thanks all for your inputs.

    EDIT:

    Ok so while I was trying to restore my information to my new phone. I thought I was connected to wifi in my home and this whole time I am still on 3G. Does this mean I have to update since it says I am connected to wifi but I am still using 3G? Even when I turn off 3G to see if I am directly connected to my wifi it goes on Edge.
    Last edited by pimpsterritard; 2010-10-25 at 10:03 PM. Reason: more issues

  17. #13
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    You can use Limera1n to jailbreak at 4.0.2 and save your shsh blogs. Then you can always restore to 4.1 at a later stage.

  18. #14
    do you know if there is a way to fix this wifi connectivity issue I am having with the 4.0.2 version? Idk if I should wait from jb and go back to Apple and get another ip4 or should I update and then jb? Also, if I jb and I go to cydia will cydia still save my shsh? Will it be able to save past versions since it is on 4.0.2? Or will it only save 4.1 shsh? TU only saved 4.1.

  19. #15
    Retired Moderator j3st3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,447
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 405 Times in 395 Posts

    it will only save the version that apple is signing, at this point that would be 4.1, you can update to 4.1 and preserve the baseband following these instructions and then jailbreak

    download the 4.1 ipsw, open tinyumbrella, save your 4.1 shsh's, start the TSS server, open iTunes and click shift+restore (pc) or option+restore (mac) and point iTunes at your 4.1 ipsw, when the restore is almost complete it will give you a 1004 error, use tinyumbrella to kick the device out of recovery, you will be on 4.1 with the 1.59.00 baseband, use greenpois0n to jailbreak and install ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock

    or if you have a mac download pwnagetool and create a custom 4.1 and restore to that, you will already be jailbroken when the restore is complete
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-10-26 at 12:32 AM.

  20. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    it will only save the version that apple is signing, at this point that would be 4.1, you can update to 4.1 and preserve the baseband following these instructions and then jailbreak

    download the 4.1 ipsw, open tinyumbrella, save your 4.1 shsh's, start the TSS server, open iTunes and click shift+restore (pc) or option+restore (mac) and point iTunes at your 4.1 ipsw, when the restore is almost complete it will give you a 1004 error, use tinyumbrella to kick the device out of recovery, you will be on 4.1 with the 1.59.00 baseband, use greenpois0n to jailbreak and install ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock

    or if you have a mac download pwnagetool and create a custom 4.1 and restore to that, you will already be jailbroken when the restore is complete

    Thanks for the help on how to jb! I am having problems with the wifi connectivity. It shows im connected under wifi but I have my 3G signal and no wifi bars. Do you think it is possibly a hardware issue? Should I restart my router? Or Should I bring it in to the Apple Store and get my phone replaced again?

  21. #17
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Check your wifi ip address, if it is not 192.168.x.xx, then do a forget the network and key in your password again.

    Do this on the iphone, not the router.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-26 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

    pimpsterritard (2010-10-26)

  23. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Check your wifi ip address, if it is not 192.168.x.xx, then do a forget the network and key in your password again.

    Do this on the iphone, not the router.
    OMG IT WORKS! you just saved me a trip from going to the apple store! Thank you so much!

  24. #19
    Hi
    As long you have new I phone now please tray do not jb as long as you don't have good inf and maybe that's Brock your I phone for my self I have never jb nd really it's fine the I phone 4 it's amazing great as well without jb
    Alot off app free and some off them 1$ so what you remember the battery life it's amazing without jb if you not need really something important to jb don't do that take it from me or leave it if you found yourself happy to tray jb that's my advice to all who can live without jb I phone thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

  25. #20
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by pimpsterritard View Post
    OMG IT WORKS! you just saved me a trip from going to the apple store! Thank you so much!
    You are welcome, instead of going to Apple store, now you can go to Fedex store and send me a 6 packs of beers to Canada...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •