Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak 3gs and upgrade to 4 ios??

Default Jailbreak 3gs and upgrade to 4 ios??
    Hi, I have a jailbreak 3gs. But everytime I restart it gets locked again and I have to jailbreak it again. I want to now upgrade it to 4 but I'm afraid if I do so it will be locked again and I won't be able to jailbreak it.

Is there any solution to it that I upgrade it to 4 and jailbreak it too?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Janealams View Post
    Hi, I have a jailbreak 3gs. But everytime I restart it gets locked again and I have to jailbreak it again. I want to now upgrade it to 4 but I'm afraid if I do so it will be locked again and I won't be able to jailbreak it.

Is there any solution to it that I upgrade it to 4 and jailbreak it too?

Thanks
    What program are you using for the jb? Something doesn't sound right as Limerain and Greenpoison are un-tethered. Meaning you can reboot or shut your phone off whenever you want.

You having no reboot doesn't make sense. Give us more info to help you solve that issue.

Jon

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SepticTank For This Useful Post:

Janealams (2010-10-23)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I think OP's on 3.1.2 with a tethered jb. OP wants to upgrade to iOS 4 and get an untethered jb.

@Janealams, do you need an unlock (like do you use another carrier that isn't AT&T)? If you don't need to unlock, go ahead and upgrade to 4.1 and jailbreak with Greenpois0n or Limera1n (doesn't matter which one, they both do the same thing).

If you do need an unlock, you'll need to download Sn0wbreeze from iH8sn0w.com and a stock 4.1 ipsw. Build a custom 4.1 ipsw with Sn0wbreeze then shift+restore to it in iTunes. Be sure not to restore to the stock fw or you'll lose unlockability. Make sure you're restoring to your custom firmware created by Sn0wbreeze.

Edit: oh yeah, you can go to Cydia to install Ultrasn0w to unlock. By the way, if you have an AT&T SIM (or whatever the official carrier of the phone is), in Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 expert mode, do not select "activate" in the features menu. You will want to use the SIM to activate manually in iTunes after restoring to avoid problems. If you don't have a SIM, that's ok too just go ahead and select activate in the menu. You might run into problems like Push or YouTube not working. You can fix YouTube by going to Cydia and adding repo "cydia.pushfix.info" and installing the YouTube fix.

Also, if you have Mac, PwnageTool will do the same thing as Sn0wbreeze (Sn0wbreeze is Windows only).

Ahh sorry, one last thing, you can find the stock 4.1 ipsw at felixbruns.de
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-10-23 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Janealams (2010-10-23)

Quote Originally Posted by SepticTank View Post
    What program are you using for the jb? Something doesn't sound right as Limerain and Greenpoison are un-tethered. Meaning you can reboot or shut your phone off whenever you want.

You having no reboot doesn't make sense. Give us more info to help you solve that issue.

Jon
    Im using blackrain its something like "Blackra1n for iTunes 9.1". Pardon my ignorance but I dont know much about whole jb process since this program was working for me and would jailbreak everytime my phone got locked i didnt try anyother cause I was afraid I might not be able to jailbreak it again.

The phone originally was with O2 (UK) but im not using O2 simcard anymore. Firmware is 3.1.2 (7D11) and its 32 GB 3gs.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    I think OP's on 3.1.2 with a tethered jb. OP wants to upgrade to iOS 4 and get an untethered jb.

@Janealams, do you need an unlock (like do you use another carrier that isn't AT&T)? If you don't need to unlock, go ahead and upgrade to 4.1 and jailbreak with Greenpois0n or Limera1n (doesn't matter which one, they both do the same thing).

If you do need an unlock, you'll need to download Sn0wbreeze from iH8sn0w.com and a stock 4.1 ipsw. Build a custom 4.1 ipsw with Sn0wbreeze then shift+restore to it in iTunes. Be sure not to restore to the stock fw or you'll lose unlockability. Make sure you're restoring to your custom firmware created by Sn0wbreeze.

Edit: oh yeah, you can go to Cydia to install Ultrasn0w to unlock. By the way, if you have an AT&T SIM (or whatever the official carrier of the phone is), in Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 expert mode, do not select "activate" in the features menu. You will want to use the SIM to activate manually in iTunes after restoring to avoid problems. If you don't have a SIM, that's ok too just go ahead and select activate in the menu. You might run into problems like Push or YouTube not working. You can fix YouTube by going to Cydia and adding repo "cydia.pushfix.info" and installing the YouTube fix.

Also, if you have Mac, PwnageTool will do the same thing as Sn0wbreeze (Sn0wbreeze is Windows only).

Ahh sorry, one last thing, you can find the stock 4.1 ipsw at felixbruns.de
    Thank you so much for such a detailed help.

I think I do need an unlock (btw how to be sure if you need or not) the phone was locked with O2 when I got it first I jailbroke it to use other carrier.

I have downloaded snowbreeze, greenpois0n and Linera1n downloading stock 4.1 ipsw. BTW just to confirm I was suppose to the secone one from the third (last) list right?

iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download
    Last edited by Janealams; 2010-10-23 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If your phone is locked to a carrier that you are NOT using, then yes you'll need an unlock. I made a mistake. I just realized your phone is running on a tethered jailbreak, meaning you have the new boot phone. You'll need a Mac to use PwnageTool for 4.1, cuz Sn0wbreeze won't work on a new boot phone.

If you have SHSHs, you can restore to 4.0 or 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 to jb with Limera1n.

Check for SHSHs by going and downloading TinyUmbrella (Google it, it's the first link). Then in Advanced Options, select "iPhone 3GS 4.0.1" (or 4.0.2, doesn't matter cuz either works). Then click "Save SHSH". in the log below, it should tell you if you have the SHSHs saved. If you do, you can then run the TSS server in TinyUmbrella and go ahead and restore to a stock 4.0.x ipsw.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-10-23 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost