Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PwnageTool clarification needed.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default PwnageTool clarification needed.
    Hello MMi,

I need some clarification on the usage of PwnageTool 4.1 as reading around the forums has thrown me into an abashed state of mind.

1. I have a 3G[S] NEW bootroom running iOS 4.0.1 with jailbreakme and 5.13.04 baseband unlocked with ultrasn0w.

2. Is it possible to use pwnagetool on my NEW bootrom 3gs to install a custom firmware? IIRC, it can only be used on the old boots.

3. Will using pwnagetool result in a wiping of my iPhone? I have some very important contacts and apps on my phone (which I use to track drug interactions between patients) so if need be, please help me out on how to backup all this.

4. Does the pwnagetool 4.1 include hacktivation? I'm overseas for another 2 years at least!

Reguards
    Dr.Xanax

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Pwnage tools 4.1 works for new and old bootroms of 3GS . Every restore will wipe out everything so back it with pkgbackup via iTunes. It does hactivation . Not sure about any bugs tho..

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

For the contact, make sure you have a google account set up as a MS exchange account. Even if you don't use the gmail portion, it can sync contacts. Backing up your phone in iTunes will save your contacts and apps too. Once you create a custom firmware with pwnage and restore in iTunes, you can then restore from a backup (which you made right before you restored the firmware). So yes, you'll lose the apps and contacts until you restore the backup in iTunes.

It's a little confusing because there are two different restores. Restoring the firmware is the first, which you MUST use the custom firmware you made if you want to keep the unlock. Restoring the backup of your iPhone is the second, and this does not affect the firmware or the baseband. Once you've jailbroken and everything, itunes will ask if you want to set up the iPhone as a new iPhone or restore it from a backup. This is where you pick the backup you made right before the firmware restore.

The older pwnage only worked on the old bootrom. The one just released handles both.

Hope I didn't confuse you more!