Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why can't I option+restore?!

Default Why can't I option+restore?!
    Hey,

I'm holding option and clicking restore on iTunes 10.0.1 on Mac OSX Leopard but it is not asking me to browse for my ipsw, it is just opening the window to confirm you want to restore+update through apple servers...

Does anyone know what is going wrong?

Thanks

try the alt key instead of option

I got that bit working eventually, turns out none of the keys on my keyboard were assigned to "option", so I just edited every button (caps/shift/control/alt) and assigned them to option which worked.

Sadly iTunes still wouldn't let me restore the phone. Just gave me error 1600 and error 29. I have a feeling it has something to do with the phone disconnecting and reconnecting to USB in the virtual environment.

Ah well, I suppose I'll have to wait for sn0wbreeze. Trying to run PwnageTool in a virtual environment is just a MASSIVE headache, even though I have read plenty of success stories it took me 6 hours just to get to the point where iTunes gave me an error while restoring!

iPhone? More like MyPhone CONVBMW's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bellyfrog View Post
    Hey,

I'm holding option and clicking restore on iTunes 10.0.1 on Mac OSX Leopard but it is not asking me to browse for my ipsw, it is just opening the window to confirm you want to restore+update through apple servers...

Does anyone know what is going wrong?
    Try a different version of iTunes.

I think it may be because pwnagetool puts your phone into DFU and does something extra on top to make the restore go smoothly. Hopefully I'm wrong or PC owners won't be able to use pwnagetool created firmwares.

"DFU button: That “DFU” button in PwnageTool is more than it looks like. It guides you through the DFU process, but then also runs the appropriate exploit to convince your device and iTunes that all is legit. The DFU button in PwnageTool is not just your average DFU."
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-10-21 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

once you create the custom firmware you can copy it to your windows machine and restore from your windows environment, you don't have to use pwnagetool to do the actual restore, as long as it created the firmware bundle then you are good to go, at least with the old pwnagetool that is, guess I need to do a test restore unless someone can confirm that it does still work like that
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-10-21 at 08:48 AM.

The quote above comes from the dev team's blog site. It seems to me that missing the pwnagetool DFU will miss part of the exploit.

Thanks

you may be correct, waiting for sine replies in twitter to confirm
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-10-21 at 09:23 AM.

There are also guides out there saying that if you click that you have an official carrier contract in PT that it will update your baseband. I'm pretty sure this is BS. Pwnagetool will never update the baseband right? The question is just for activation purposes.

Redmondpie does come out with some [email protected] sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    once you create the custom firmware you can copy it to your windows machine and restore from your windows environment, you don't have to use pwnagetool to do the actual restore, as long as it created the firmware bundle then you are good to go, at least with the old pwnagetool that is, guess I need to do a test restore unless someone can confirm that it does still work like that
    Do you use vmware at all? Because I tried to figure out how to copy the file into windows but nothing I did worked. I tried setting a shared folder on my network but the mac doesn't detect the windows machine, I tried installing vmware tools for an hour and that didn't work, so I really have no idea how to copy files to/from the virtual mac os. If you can help with that it would be useful.

And I didn't put my phone into DFU using the specific PwnageTool method but I put it into DFU whilst plugged in to Pwnage and it flashed the successful message at me. I always do DFU from power on position because trying to 10 seconds hold power+home just ALWAYS puts me into recovery mode.

Any updates post them here Thanks guys

Thanks

i have messed with it a little but was way too slow for my liking so i used and old pc i had laying around to make a hackintosh (a little slower than i prefer but much better than vmware) but i never tried to copy between the 2 i just remember seeing the shared folder option in the setup