Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need some help with ipsw files on Mac for new PwnageTool!

Default Need some help with ipsw files on Mac for new PwnageTool!
    Hey guys,

I just got the new PwnageTool, this is my first time running Mac OS so I'm a bit newb in this department.

I downloaded the ipsw's from iclarified but in my MAC finder they just display as folders. (They seemed to download as iPhone2,1blabla.ipsw.zip)

If I try to run expert mode I cannot select "open" when the folder is selected and if I rename them to ".ipsw" it says "Wrong Firmware Bundle Selected". If I try to run simple mode it says "No ipsw's found".

How do I get PwnageTool to recognize these ipsws?

Thanks

Thanks

you need to redownload them using chrome or firefox, do not use safari to download an ipsw file...

I just figured that one out, I dragged the file out of the trash can and renamed it from .zip to .ipsw. PwnageTool recognized the file and started building the ipsw, but it's taking FOREVER (since I'm running it on vmware I guess)...

Does anyone have experience doing this and how long it takes to build the ipsw? I gotta have this done in 2 hours :S

EDIT - ok it finally finished the ipsw building, took about 45 minutes. Not looking forward to the restore process haha ^_^

EDIT 2 - also before I restore, does anyone know which button I would press on a windows keyboard to do the "shift+restore" on PwnageTool running via VMware? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to press shift or alt (in Mac OS I think you press "option+restore"? I don't want to accidentally restore to 4.1 :S

Is there any way to test this without using iTunes?
    Last edited by bellyfrog; 2010-10-21 at 12:50 AM.

Isn't the Pwnage tool just for macs? I didn't think there was a windows version?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stiverphoto View Post
    Isn't the Pwnage tool just for macs? I didn't think there was a windows version?

Yes, Pwnagetool is just for Mac, but that's just the tool to create the custom IPSW. An IPSW file is recognized by iTunes on Mac or Windows.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Quote Originally Posted by stiverphoto View Post
    That's correct but I'm using a program called VMware to load up Mac OS X on my PC. It's quite nifty but extremely complicated and pretty painfully slow to get things done. Took me several hours to get the stock IPSW's onto the Mac OS, another hour or so to update iTunes, 45 minutes to build each custom firmware in PwnageTool, and finally it only worked for me on my iPhone 3G (failed on my iPhone 3GS though I'm looking into why at the moment).

In summary, not for the faint hearted!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok I'm running vmware/mac os x 10.5 on my windows 7 laptop and completed every step within the vmware workstation, installed iTunes 10.0 mac version, ran pwnage tool 4.1.2 and built my custom ipsw, put my iPhone 3G into dfu mode with the black screen. iTunes sees the iPhone but I cannot get the shift button/click restore option to work. Am I supposed to press something other then the "shift key" when I click restore since I am using a windows PC to host the virtual mac os x machine? I can't believe I've gotten this far and I can't figure this out-- I'm kind of ashamed of myself Lol. Please help a brother out.. Thanks!
    Last edited by cyph; 2010-10-27 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks

i believe you will have to push the "alt" key while clicking restore in vmware instead of the shift key

Quote Originally Posted by cyph View Post
    Ok I'm running vmware/mac os x 10.5 on my windows 7 laptop and completed every step within the vmware workstation, installed iTunes 10.0 mac version, ran pwnage tool 4.1.2 and built my custom ipsw, put my iPhone 3G into dfu mode with the black screen. iTunes sees the iPhone but I cannot get the shift button/click restore option to work. Am I supposed to press something other then the "shift key" when I click restore since I am using a windows PC to host the virtual mac os x machine? I can't believe I've gotten this far and I can't figure this out-- I'm kind of ashamed of myself Lol. Please help a brother out.. Thanks!
    As I said in my post above, you don't have any key assigned to the "option" key in your Mac. Go to Applications > Utilities > Keyboard or something like that and you can set all the different keys (shift, control, caps, alt) to option. Then it will be fine.

However if your 3G isn't already pwned, it won't work anyway