Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Thanks in advance

Default Thanks in advance
    I have a iphone 3G on the 3.0 firmware. It is currently jailbroken and I am using it with t-mobile. I would like to update to at least 3.1.3 (or if recommended) 4.0...etc. I am using a PC but have access to a mac (if that is the only way to upgrade the JB). A step-by-step process on how to upgrade the firmware while maintaining the jailbreak and unlock (or at least get back on t-mobile) would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jrhino

3. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

jrhino (2010-10-21)

thanks j3st3r3. I am curious, in the instructions it says to first update to the 4.0 firmware with itunes . The problem is now that itunes only has the 4.1 update, should I update by holding down the "shift" key, selecting the 4.0 firmware ipsw and then follow the rest of the instructions? Or should I by-pass the first step altogether and proceed with JB'ing with redsn0w? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    jrhino

Thanks

since you are using a 3g i would personally recommend going to 4.1 and avoiding the 4.0.x firmwares all together, create or download a custom 4.1 firmware that is activated since you need to unlock and use the shift+restore in iTunes to select the custom firmware and restore to that, then install ultrasn0w from cydia and unlock the phone

6. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

jrhino (2010-10-21)

I thought 3g 4.1 could not be jail broken? Hmm have to look again but I thought thats what a read in the .pdf guide, sticky in this forum at the top! Time to read some more. I would love to jailbreak my 3g 4.1 iphone.

Thanks

4.1 is definitely jailbreakable, all devices are (except of course the iPhone 2g) using either limera1n, greenpois0n, or pwnagetool 4.1

9. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

jrhino (2010-10-21)

j3st3r3,
    Thank you for all of our help so far. Because I am new to most of this and don't want a bricked phone, do you have any instructions on how to jailbreak on 4.1 for a 3g phone? Remember I am using a PC. You mentioned above that I would have to download a "custom 4.1 firmware file that is activated." I am not sure how to identify a "custom file that is activated" versus a normal ipsw. I am also confused on whether I can use redsn0w to do the jailbreak and then ultrasnow to unlock. You also mentioned that one would need to use "limra1n, greenpoison, or pwnagetool 4.1"? Just a litte clarification. Lastly, if by doing all of this, would I need to put my iphone in DFCU mode first, then do the shift-restore thing in iTunes?

Thanks

use google to search "custom 3G 4.1 ipsw activated", once restored you will already be jailbroken, just install ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock, I'm honestly not sure about having to put the phone in dfu, i dont think it would hurt you to put it in dfu and restore though

12. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

jrhino (2010-10-21)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

iPod Touch 2G support has been added for Greenpois0n.

@jrhino, what you wanna do is maintain your unlock since you use T-Mo. Your jb tool is Sn0wbreeze. You can go to iH8sn0w.com and download the latest version. You can go to felixbruns.de and download the 4.1 ipsw for iPhone 3G.

Next, you will open Sn0wbreeze and create a custom firmware with the 4.1 ipsw I told you to download. Follow the instructions on Sn0wbreeze, pretty straight forward. You'll want to access it in Expert Mode (you'll see the choice show up). Then in the submenu (can't remember what it's called) you can select "activate" (you'll want to activate since you wanna hactivate cuz you probably don't have an AT&T SIM) and also select whatever else you want (like wallpaper, multitask). Then continue to build the custom firmware.

After finishing that, you can then set your phone into DFU mode and go to iTunes and hold shift and click "restore". Select the custom fw you made (MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE CUSTOM FW CUZ IF YOU SELECT THE STOCK ONE YOU USED TO CREATE THE CUSTOM, YOU'LL LOSE YOUR UNLOCKABILITY).

Let iTunes restore to the custom fw. If you run into any errors, simply use iReb (from ih8sn0w.com) to bypass.

You should then be jb after the restore. You'll wanna go to Cydia and install Ultrasn0w to unlock again.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

jrhino (2010-10-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

^ that would be the easiest and safest way rather then trying to Google for a custom firmware, I just don't trust them, imho, but many people do use them.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ^ that would be the easiest and safest way rather then trying to Google for a custom firmware, I just don't trust them, imho, but many people do use them.
    Yup, exactly why I make my own (back on my 3G). I've had screwed up ones back in the 2.x days when Pwnage was the only custom fw tool and I dont have a Mac.

Thank you for all of your support. I will start this process and let you know if I run into any problems.

Anniex423, This worked perfectly. I have a 3G iphone on the 4.1 firmware. The only problem I had was when I went to restore, itunes threw an error. So I did have to use the iReb that I downloaded from ih8sn0w.com. But this was super easy even for a noob like me. Thanks for everything.

Thank,
    jrhino

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

^ you don't get much better then Annie for J/B info. Gal has it together for sure.
    Glad to hear it all worked out for you. Enjoy.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ^ you don't get much better then Annie for J/B info. Gal has it together for sure.
    Glad to hear it all worked out for you. Enjoy.
    Oh stop it, B

Quote Originally Posted by jrhino View Post
    Anniex423, This worked perfectly. I have a 3G iphone on the 4.1 firmware. The only problem I had was when I went to restore, itunes threw an error. So I did have to use the iReb that I downloaded from ih8sn0w.com. But this was super easy even for a noob like me. Thanks for everything.

Thank,
    jrhino
    Really glad you got it running. Spread the joy!!
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-10-23 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost