Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Going to new V4 phone from jailbroken/unlocked 3G

Default Going to new V4 phone from jailbroken/unlocked 3G
    I'm fed up with T-Mobile. I'm going back to ATT even though I hate them too.

I have 3 lines---all three with unlocked/jailbroken 3g phones. When I go back, I'm getting one new iPhone 4 and keeping two 3G phones. I know that the OS4 phone cannot be jailbroken yet. I have questions:

1) I have many apps downloaded outside the app store in iTunes. Will I be able to put them on the iPhone 4?

2) What do I do with the other two? When I sign-up, do I just get two free phones and then use those sim cards in the iPhone 3G's?

3) What do I do about data plans for the two 3G phone lines? The free phones don't have data. Do I just plug in the sim from ATT to the iPhones and it will work?

If I'm missing something--or there's a better way to do this--let me know.

Steve

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

iOS 4 can be jailbroken on all devices.

AT&T will likely find out you have iPhones on all lines and add the data plan to your lines. Might as well save yourself the trouble and just sign up for iPhone plans. Sell your 3G phones for $150-$200 a piece, then take that money and buy all new iPhones. Get the 3GS for $100 and the iPhone 4 for $200. So you can sign up for 3 lines with 2 iPhone 3GS and 1 iPhone 4.

If you want data for your lines, you have a choice of $15 for 200MB and $25 for 2GB.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-10-18 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks. My kids are happy with the 3G and I probably will keep them. I do want the iPhone 4 though.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Well, I was just suggesting getting the 3GS's just cuz it's a really good deal. If you're happy with the 3G phones, still get the two 3GS for $100 a piece and sell them for $250 each on Craigslist. You make $300.

Honestly, if you want data for the iPhones, the best thing to do is to just get the plans for the iPhones instead of doing the free phones thing. Cuz those plans don't match the iPhones and when AT&T finds out theyll just change it to a smartphone plan anyway. Might as well get a couple of iPhones cheap that way and sell them off if you don't want them. Saves you the trouble of having to figure out what you can or can't do with the lines or the phones.

I agree with annie about getting the 3GS, because u will have to sign a contract regardless of wether u get a phone or not, so might as well just get a phone for low price while u have the chance, and then u can sell it and make some money

Yeah and I'll buy the phones off you if they are on the old baseband or if you get them after the new ultrasn0w is released