Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How can you tell if an Iphone 3g has been jailbroken?

Default How can you tell if an Iphone 3g has been jailbroken?
    I think my dad has it hacked but not sure. I'm gonna get it he's getting an Iphone 4 so yeah.... anyways If it's jailbroken (I know it's on version 3.1. something dunno exactly.... So yeah if it's hacked what should I do? I want it on the 4.0 or whatever... I'm thinking of using this guide

How to Jailbreak 4.0 iPhone 3G/iPod Touch 2g on OS X/Windows

But not exactly sure here are my circumstances

Unsure of whether or not it's hacked, Want to update to latest jailbreak. Easiest way of doing this? I essentially want to mod the crap out of the phone ya know? Also could I use guides for the 3GS for the 3g? or are they completly different or what? So yeah I'm thinking of upgrading it to 4.0 then using that guide but I don't know how to upgrade or anything..... (has never had an Iphone before) so please.... Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Check and see if it has the Cydia App installed.

Quote Originally Posted by iGolf View Post
    Check and see if it has the Cydia App installed.
    It doesn't but my dad can thether it just fine withouht paying the fees and stuff. He had a friend jailbreak it years back.. but I duno if it's till like that.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Download snowbreeze 2.0.2 , download iReb 4.1 and download the stock 3g 4.1 ipsw
    Build your snowbreeze custom firmware of 4.1 ,uncheck the activat my iphone.
    Run Ireb 4.1 and then you will be asked to Do a shift + Restore to Snowbreeze_4.1.ipsw which is on your desktop.
    Put your official sim card in
    now you are already jailbroken at 4.1
    Unlock with Ultrasn0w.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

rubsnick (2010-10-21)

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Download snowbreeze 2.0.2 , download iReb 4.1 and download the stock 3g 4.1 ipsw
    Build your snowbreeze custom firmware of 4.1 ,uncheck the activat my iphone.
    Run Ireb 4.1 and then you will be asked to Do a shift + Restore to Snowbreeze_4.1.ipsw which is on your desktop.
    Put your official sim card in
    now you are already jailbroken at 4.1
    Unlock with Ultrasn0w.
    Alright so this is independent of if the 3g is hacked or whatever correct? and I don't think I need to unlock it since I'm with ATT.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

The pronlem with Redsn0w 0.9.6b1 is it can sometimes jailbreak and sometimes don't, buggy.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yes it's independent of whether the phone is already jailbroken or not. Just follow Yeow's steps and you can jailbreak the phone yourself.

Alright thanks people... one question when snow breeze ask for some type of DFU helper and plug in the phone do I do that or no? and My phone is on 3.0.1 (just found it out right now again) So yeah still the same procedure?

Still same procedure. You don't need DFU mode probably. Just let iTunes do it's thing with the shift+restore to custom firmware, use iREB to kick it out of the error.

If it still fails you might wanna use DFU instead of iTunes default recovery mode but it probably won't be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by bellyfrog View Post
    Still same procedure. You don't need DFU mode probably. Just let iTunes do it's thing with the shift+restore to custom firmware, use iREB to kick it out of the error.

If it still fails you might wanna use DFU instead of iTunes default recovery mode but it probably won't be necessary.
    THANKS EVERYONE! I'll be doing this tonight one last question.... I can't brick it permanently right?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Bricking isn't a huge concern in this case. The worst probably is you'll have to restore and do everything over again.

ALright did it all but my Iphone won't accept backgrounds it's stays black even after I set it up.... So yeah any ideas what might be wrong?
    Last edited by rubsnick; 2010-10-21 at 01:24 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

In your custom firmware you probably didnt select wallpaper. You'll have to make another custom firmware with wallpaper enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    In your custom firmware you probably didnt select wallpaper. You'll have to make another custom firmware with wallpaper enabled.
    I just want to make sure before I do it... what I mean by wallpaper is the image behind the apps. Not the homescreen one (the unlock screen I mean) But the one where I pick apps behind it there is just a black image.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Ok homescreen=springboard and unlock screen=lockscreen, youre talking about the springboard right? Cuz yeah you have to enable it in your custom firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Ok homescreen=springboard and unlock screen=lockscreen, youre talking about the springboard right? Cuz yeah you have to enable it in your custom firmware.
    Yeap I already did it. ^^ Thanks while I was at it I also enabled multi tasking so yay me!