Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Are there any upgrade options for 3GS new bootrom no shsh?

Default Are there any upgrade options for 3GS new bootrom no shsh?
    Hey,

I just got a new bootrom 3GS today. Running 3.1.2. Never jailbroken.

I seem to remember some version of snowbreeze works on new bootrom 3GS but I can't recall which. Might be wrong.

So is there any way to get up to iOS 4 on this phone without updating the baseband?

Thanks

EDIT - I found a link to a guide stating you can do a 4.1 custom firmware restore with snowbreeze 2.0 on new bootrom 3GS jailbroken on 3.1.2 here http://ijafri.com/2010/09/23/snowbre...bootrom-guide/

However it would be great if someone could confirm this because I'm sure I've read conflicting reports on whether snowbreeze works on new bootrom or not. Since this phone is on 3.1.2 never jailbroken I can easily do a redsn0w jailbreak and custom firmware up to 4.1 if it's supported.

Thanks.
    Last edited by bellyfrog; 2010-10-18 at 01:31 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

There are conditions for iPhone 3GS to use Sn0wbreeze. One of those conditions is to have the old bootrom. I'm pretty sure new boot phones cannot use Sn0wbreeze.

Edit: I don't know how accurate that guide is, considering it says to go to 4.1 and lists the iPhone 2G which only goes to 3.1.3. I could be wrong tho...

It doesn't hurt to try and shift+restore to a custom 4.1 fw made with Sn0wbreeze tho. The worst that could happen is your phone rejects it and iTunes won't restore to it. I just don't believe it will work.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-10-18 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I don't understand why there are so many blogs saying new bootrom is possible though :S

According to several blogs if you select the option to use iBooty this will work on an iPhone 3GS New Bootrom.

I am willing to try but I need to know the conditions that my phone will be in if it fails.

Will I be forced to restore to 4.1 official if the snowbreeze jailbreak fails? Or will I just remain on 3.1.2? That's the important thing really.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

It won't be forced to 4.1 Official if you don't hit upgrade. Doing the shift+restore will put your phone into Recovery mode. If the restore fails, all you have to do is kick it out of recovery with Recboot. It'll still be on 3.1.2.

As for the iBooty thing, I have no idea what that is but will look into it. I don't know if that has the ability to screw your phone up, but a standard shift+restore won't hurt your phone.

Edit: did some reading. Looks like if you do succeed with it, the jailbreak will be tethered.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-10-18 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

bellyfrog (2010-10-18)

Ok, well the iBooty method is what's supposed to enable snowbreeze to work for new bootrom I think so a standard shift+restore probably won't work.

Downloading ipsw's at the moment to try it out. I'll do a standard shift+restore first to see if I get anywhere and if not I'll try the iBooty method.

If you happen to find out that info about iBooty post it ASAP so I know what I'm getting myself into! If not I'll just take the plunge and report back with the results

Thanks

EDIT - damn these apple servers are so random! Download 4.1 @ 800kb/s in 5 minutes but 3.1.2 takes over an hour... Why?!?!
    Last edited by bellyfrog; 2010-10-18 at 02:12 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Well, I don't know how iBooty works and I can't find info on how it works unless I try it myself which I don't need to...so I won't lol.

I don't know what state your phone can possibly be left in now.

All I know is, you're gonna end up with a tethered jb and honestly, I think that sucks

I think redsn0w for 3.1.2 is untethered IIRC they made an update to make it untethered?

Well, I'm wondering... If I can get onto custom firmware 4.1, there might be some sneaky way to do a limera1n or Greenpois0n jailbreak on the custom firmware to get it untethered

That would be interesting ^_^

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bellyfrog View Post
    I think redsn0w for 3.1.2 is untethered IIRC they made an update to make it untethered?

Well, I'm wondering... If I can get onto custom firmware 4.1, there might be some sneaky way to do a limera1n or Greenpois0n jailbreak on the custom firmware to get it untethered

That would be interesting ^_^
    That won't work. Your best bet is just to wait until the new pwnagetool update is released. It'll do custom firmwares and work for new bootrom 3GS.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Redsn0w is never tethered.

I don't know how sneaky you can get to do that haha.

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    That won't work. Your best bet is just to wait until the new pwnagetool update is released. It'll do custom firmwares and work for new bootrom 3GS.
    Is there any ETA for that? I don't have access to a Mac so I'll have to wait for them to port that into sn0wbreeze too.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bellyfrog View Post
    Is there any ETA for that? I don't have access to a Mac so I'll have to wait for them to port that into sn0wbreeze too.
    Actually, judging by MuscleNerd's twitter, it should've been out today. Though it's not out yet. Not sure what's the hold up, but I would guess that it'll be out within days.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

bellyfrog (2010-10-18)

Ok excellent. Thanks a lot for the help both of you. I'll leave it unjailbroken for now and just wait for this release and see what the deal is

Thanks again!