Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't upgrade iphone 4 from 4.0 to 4.1

Default Can't upgrade iphone 4 from 4.0 to 4.1
    Hey guys

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out with this problem.

I have a factory unlocked iPhone 4 that is running on 4.0 (not 4.01 or 4.02)
    I jailbroke it using jailbreakme.com

I am trying to upgrade it to 4.1, but I keep getting the error message
    "The iPhone 'iPhone' cannot be updated at this time because the iPhone software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable."

I'm pretty sure it's because the iPhone is jailbroken and fails at the verifying with Apple server part.

I'm NOT trying to restore a previous blob or whatever. I'm just trying to 4.1, and I don't really care if I lose the jailbreak.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

That message means either your internet isnt working or itunes for some reason cannot contact Apple. It doesnt have anything to do with the phone being jailbroken.

Check this thread, he had a similar problem and solved it in the last post: http://modmyi.com/forums/general/733...1-2-4-1-a.html

If you have used tiny umbrella you probably need to edit your hosts file to undo what it changes.

See here: iClarified - iPhone - How to Downgrade Your iPhone 3GS Using a Cydia Saved SHSH [Windows]

If you are on a mac I believe you edit /etc/hosts

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It's definitely an iTunes problem or your Internet. That kind of error happens even if you're trying to update officially to the newest fw. Make sure your Internet is working and make sure your iTunes is updated.

My guess is did you mod the HOST files before? If do, that may be the problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

I agree with Wing103, probably the hosts file has been altered, change it back or delete the ip address pointing towards Cydia so it can verify with Apple's Server.