Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple doesnt recognize iphone 3g 3.1.2 as being qualified for restore

Default Apple doesnt recognize iphone 3g 3.1.2 as being qualified for restore
    Hi, simple question that has been bothering me. Why cant I upgrade my jailbroken/unlocked Iphone 3.1.2 to version 4.0 through Itunes?

Background Information:

Iphone 3g
    Jailbreak and unlocked using red sn0w
    Version: 3.1.2
    Modem Firmware: 04.26.08

Goal: upgrade my iphone to version 4.0 then jailbreak it using redsn0w and unlock it using Cydia.

Issue: When I try to restore my Jailbroken Iphone 3g to version 4.0 through Itunes it goes through some type of verification then gives me an error saying that my iphone is not able to or allowed to. As stated earlier, I have a jailbroken Iphone that was done with redsn0w. Does anyone recognize my problem in the upgrade and is the a solution?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You will need shsh blogs to restore to 4.0. Have you pointed your hosts file towards Cydia Server yet.

Don't restore to 4.0, it is very slow and you will hate it. Go for 4.1, but if you need unlock, then restore with custom firmware.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-16 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Freshumz (2010-10-16)

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    You will need shsh blogs to restore to 4.0. Have you pointed your hosts file towards Cydia Server yet.

Don't restore to 4.0, it is very slow and you will hate it. Go for 4.1, but if you need unlock, then restore with custom firmware.
    Thank you for the quick feedback, I really appreciate it. Im not too up to date with the recent modding of the Iphone so Im not quite sure what exactly you mean by shsh blogs. I will take your word for it and upgrade to 4.1 but will I be able to unlock my phone, and how exactly would I go about doing so?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

3G phones require SHSHs blobs which can be saved via Cydia or TinyUmbrella. If you have ever clicked "make my life easier" in Cydia, that saves the SHSHs.

That's irrevant tho, cuz you can simply go up to 4.1 since 4.0.x is super laggy on 3G phones.

If you need an unlock, you'll have to create a custom 4.1 fw with Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2.

If you don't need an unlock, simply upgrade to 4.1 and use Redsn0w 0.9.6b1 to jb.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Freshumz (2010-10-16)

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    3G phones require SHSHs blobs which can be saved via Cydia or TinyUmbrella. If you have ever clicked "make my life easier" in Cydia, that saves the SHSHs.

That's irrevant tho, cuz you can simply go up to 4.1 since 4.0.x is super laggy on 3G phones.

If you need an unlock, you'll have to create a custom 4.1 fw with Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2.

If you don't need an unlock, simply upgrade to 4.1 and use Redsn0w 0.9.6b1 to jb.

Thank you..so after I create a custom 4.1 firmware via Sn0wbreeze 2.02, do I run it through iTunes and select option + restore to upgrade? Then jailbreak it with redsn0w? I hope im not asking too many questions lol

Quote Originally Posted by Freshumz View Post
    Thank you..so after I create a custom 4.1 firmware via Sn0wbreeze 2.02, do I run it through iTunes and select option + restore to upgrade? Then jailbreak it with redsn0w? I hope im not asking too many questions lol
    Snowbreeze jailbreaks it for you

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DevouredDreams For This Useful Post:

Freshumz (2010-10-16)

Thanks

Alright , this is what you have to do :
    Download your Snowbreeze 2.0.2 from iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones
    Download your 3g 4.1 ipsw from here iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From
    Run Snowbreeze in Expert mode : Under General Uncheck activate my iphone.
    Build it and it will be placed on your desktop
    Update your Itunes to the latest version.
    Put your iphone into recovery mode.
    Do the Shift + Restore to the custom Firmware of 4.1 which you have built from Snowbreeze.
    Put your official sim card to activate
    Unlock with Ultrasn0w again.
    You are now jailbroken at 4.1 and unlocked.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Freshumz (2010-10-16)

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Download your Snowbreeze 2.0.2 from iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones
    Download your 3g 4.1 ipsw from here iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From
    Do the Shift + Restore to the custom Firmware of 4.1 which you have built from Snowbreeze.
    Unlock with Ultrasn0w again.
    You are now jailbroken at 4.1 and unlocked.
    Thank you very much. Feedback here is always great. I will do this and report my conclusion afterwards. Thanks again for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    I've done everything here an my phone is updated to 4.1 and the baseband stayed the same. I see the cydia app but it will not launch. When I select it, it shows a blank screen then back to the iphone apps page. Any suggestions?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Hmm. How long did you wait? Sometimes the very first run of Cydia is long as it's performing internal house-keeping chores.

Re-boot and try Cydia again a couple of times. Make sure WiFi is connected and active. Give it at least 10, may 20 minutes, then report back.

If it completely exits back to the springboard, you need to start over with the jb/unlock.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-22 at 10:05 AM.

There's nothing to wait for. Cydia fails to start.
    I select cydia then it goes to blank gray screen then almost instantly it goes back to home screen.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Something did not properly finish during the jb/restore. Your only choice it to start over. Usually, as soon as the jb/restore process is complete and the iPhone starts to reboot, I disconnect from computer, let the boot process complete, wait a bit more, reboot again, wait a bit more, then run Cydia. Install ultrasn0w, reboot, verify unlock. Reboot, add a few more critical Cydia addons (ssh, sbsettings), wait a bit, reboot again, verify new installs. Then I reconnect to computer, start iTunes, recognizes phone and asks set-up as new or backup. If same major version, let it restore from backup else new. Tried several combinations, this seems to work best for me.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-22 at 12:28 PM.

Which part is the jb/restore?
    The part where the screen turns green or the snowflake with the progress bar underneath? Both process seems to go fine. Then itune says the phone will reboot. After it reboots everything works fine except for cydia.

Tried it 4-5 times same results.
    With the snowbreeze custom firmware, I tried only unchecking "activate" and I tried unchecking everything with same results. Should I try it with the nor-ipsw option?

Thanks

What is your device again.

3g

Thanks

Do you want to restore to a custom firmware , i can give it to you

This is what you have to do : Download Redsn0w 0.9.6b2 and download the official 4.1 ipsw. Run redsn0w and browse to stock 4.1 ipsw, just check the box, Put iphone into DFU mode and it will say DFU done when completed.
    Once this is done, open up itunes, and do the shift + restore to the custom firmware of 4.1 which will be in your PM box.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-22 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hood_Lum View Post
    ...Then itune says the phone will reboot. After it reboots everything works fine except for cydia....
    When iTunes says the phone will reboot, the jb/restore process is complete.

The options are just options, I never change anything and don't recomment you do either.

I'm stumped. When the iPhone boots, Cydia is on the 2nd screen page and should work fine.

Did you set-up WiFi connection before starting Cydia?

^iYeow. Please educate me

Aside from the minor snowbreeze issues, why would Redsn0w work with a custom ipsw and PT/SB not?

Are you thinking the custom ipsw was not built correctly?
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-23 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

The way to use snowbreeze custom firmware is as follows , I have not done it but this is the way to go :
    Build your snowbreeze firmware. Put your iphone into manual DFU and then open up ireb4.1 RC2, click your device and follow the instructions, you will be taken to the next part of DFU which uses Geohot's exploit.
    Now you open up Itunes and do the shift + restore to cfw 4.1 cooked by Snowbreeze 2.1

The other method is :
    Redsn0w 0.9.6b2 to put into DFU mode , it opens up Geohot's exploit again, now you are vulnerable to anything : open up itunes and do the shift + restore to custom firmware cooked by Pwnage tools 4.1.2.
    Don't ask me why it always work, i found out this is the best method of all and guaranteed to work.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-23 at 07:02 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Mes (2010-11-23)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Thank you. I'll meditate on this