Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Quick question, 3gs jb on 3.1.3 looking to get on 4.1

Smile Quick question, 3gs jb on 3.1.3 looking to get on 4.1
    quick question just to make sure

I have an iphone 3gs on 3.1 and i have a few game saves and contacts and app settings/saves that i want to keep so i am wondering what can i do to not lose them once i upgrade to 4.1

Also will i be able to go back to 3.1.3 if i dont like 4.1? I do have blobs and shsh on file i believe.

thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

If you don't have shsh blogs , then once you updated to 4.1, you can't go back.
    What jailbreak is used on your OS 3.1.3 ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

vse (2010-10-15)

Aptbackup saves what Cydia files you have installed
    Appbackup saves AppStore game backup files

Install and open Both of these, create the saves, the GUI is easy to figure out, then backup, which will save you if you have to restore
    To restore these back simply only install these 2 files and click restore inside the apps and your good

PS Aptbackup can take longer then 10 min so make sure auto lock is off and maybe plugged in
    Appbackup is usually less then 2-3min

Please thank me if I've helped on site

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BenderRodriguez For This Useful Post:

vse (2010-10-15)

i used blackrain if i remember correctly, i was just worried about settings like finance apps i use to keep track of my spending and such, if i had a way to save the info i put it for weeks and such.

also i was reading about tiny umbrella so i can use that to make sure of what i have, also another question what is the biggest loss regarding apps and tools that you lose from going 3.1.3 to 4.1 or what does 4.1 gives you that 3.1.3 doesnt

Thanks

Folder options, multitask, more optons on email handlings, gamecenter. If those stuffs are important, you can stay with 3.1.3 for now.
    Is your Blackra1n jailbreak tethered or untethered ?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

vse (2010-10-16)

untethered and it could have been spirit jb and not blackrain, i remember doing jb twice on my 2 iphones but at different times so i dont remember exactly which was first but both are untethered (i can restart and such no problem)

Thanks

If you don't need unlock, then you can try and hit the upgrade option in itunes to 4.1 and use Greenpoison to jailbreak.
    This way , all your settings will be intact except the jailbroken stuffs is removed.
    If the above update do give you problems,then you will have to hit restore to get a clean fresh OS on your iphone and proceed with GreenPoison again but you will lose everything.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

vse (2010-10-16)

alright thanks man, im going to do a back then fresh install and use appbackup probably, one of the reasons that attracted me to 4.1 was it seems you can watch animes with the player without too much problems and having subtitles and such something i have a lot of issues with right now considering i have to convert and everything and that there isnt a simple tool that would convert .mkv anime with subs to mp4 or something.

Thanks

Do you know you can install CineXplayer on a 3gs, then simply drop your avi files into itunes and then watch it on your 3gs. No conversion is needed.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

vse (2010-10-16)

ya i know for avi files but not for .mkv files with subtitles

Thanks

What kind of application do you use to be able to watch mkv files with Subtitles ?

right now i dont, the only one that came close was yxplayer so i usually have to convert them with handbrake or something to get it in mp4. But i heard with os4 u can so its one of the reasons i been considering to do it.

Thanks

Xplayer works pretty good but i don't really like to go through all the hassles of converting it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

vse (2010-10-16)

ya that's my problem i wish there was like a player who just played the format