Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS Hactivation on iOS4

Default iPhone 3GS Hactivation on iOS4
    I hope someone will be willing to help me out!
    I have an iPhone 3GS (old bootrom) from Rogers in Canada. I was using it in Kenya on iOS 4.0 jailbroken and unlocked on a Kenyan sim. My friend accidentally updated it but I stopped the update in time and therefore had to "restore" due to interrupting the update. I used my stored SHSH from Cydia to restore it to iOS 4 and then tried to use Greenp0ison to jailbreak it but it failed 4 times. Then I tried Limera1n and it says on the software that it is jailbroken however I am stuck at the "Emergency calls only" section (I am assuming that it needs to be hactivated too?). I do not have access to a Rogers SIM in Kenya and nor do I have access to what they call "Universal" sims. Would someone please help me out? I am sure there are answers to this posted somewhere but my internet connection is too slow for me to efficiently search for it! I hope someone will guide me to get back at iOS 4.0 or even 4.0.1.
    As long as I can bypass that "Emergency calls only" screen, I will access WIFI and then unlock it from Cydia using Ultrasn0w.
    Thank you (:

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Restore to 4.0 or 4.0.1 again and jailbreak with Limera1n. Greenpois0n only works on 4.1 so that's why you were having problems with it.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

aadil (2010-10-17)

Thanks but you probably didn't read my most important issue: I am stuck at the emergency screen after having restored to 4.0 and having used limera1n! I am assuming this happens because limera1n does not hacktivate the phone!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aadil View Post
    Thanks but you probably didn't read my most important issue: I am stuck at the emergency screen after having restored to 4.0 and having used limera1n! I am assuming this happens because limera1n does not hacktivate the phone!
    I think Limera1n does hactivate but Limera1n is not for 4.0, only 4.1

If you have shsh for 3.1.3 , then put your iphone into DFU mode and restore to it.
    Error 1015 pops up, use kick out of recovery from the feature of TU.
    Now run Redsn0w 0.9.4 to jailbreak but but to 3.1.2
    Once jailbroken, go download Snowbreeze 2.0.2 and download 4.1 ipsw
    Build your custom firmware of 4.1 , Easy mode is fine
    Now put your iphone into recovery mode again and Shift + Restore to custom firmware of 4.1 you just built, it is on your desktop named Snowbreeze_4.1.ipsw
    Now go to Cydia and install Ultrsn0w to unlock.
    Now you can happily use your iphone 3gs in Kenya.

Edit : Due to the fact that you don't have a valid sim card, you will only have two problems : Youtube not working and Syncing Problems , this is the price you have to pay for not having an official sim card.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-16 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

aadil (2010-10-16)

Guys he is saying he cannot activate it manually, he needs hacktivation.

Limera1n does work on 4.0/4.0.1/4.0.2/4.1 but I'm not sure about it's hacktivation status. I would try restore and re-jailbreak with limera1n and see if you get it hacktivated this time.

If that doesn't work you'll have to work out how to do a snowbreeze custom firmware restore. What's the lowest iOS you have SHSH blobs for?

If you can get back to 3.1.2 you can redsn0w and then hacktivate 4.0.1 on snowbreeze without issues. But people using the hacktivate option while upgrading to 4.1 have had issues. I think it can work but doesn't work for all.

Good luck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bellyfrog For This Useful Post:

aadil (2010-10-16)

Thanks

Thanks Bellyfrog, just edited it again to work without official sim. Cheers.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

aadil (2010-10-17)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    I think Limera1n does hactivate but Limera1n is not for 4.0, only 4.1[/COLOR]
    Limera1n works on all iOS 4 versions. It's greenpois0n that only works on 4.1

Thanks to everyone here for coming to my help and suggesting options.

I tried to restore it to 3.1.2. It gave me error 1015 on iTunes which I simply ignored. I then used Redsn0w 0.9.3 to try to jailbreak it. On my iPhone it said "Flashing NOR" and then it said "Installing Activation bundles" however at this point it hangs. Looks as though it is 90% complete but it hangs and then it does nothing, just stays at this point. All I need to do is somehow jailbreak into 3.1.2 successfully and then if I do so, I know my way around unless there is another way to get back onto 4.0 or 4.0.1 keeping in mind that I need hacktivation.
    Can someone tell me why the Redsn0w jailbreak is hanging while installing activation bundles or am I doing something wrong by ignoring the 1015 error?

I had EXACTLY the same problem. Your solution is to cook a 4.0 firmware with snowbreeze, which will hactivate for you. Restore to that, and then unlock with ultrasn0w.
    Quaerite et invenietis.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Amadomon For This Useful Post:

aadil (2010-10-17)

But for me to do that I need to have the phone already jailbroken at the 3.1.2 iOS. Which is where I am having the problem, it gets stuck while doing that!

@Amadomon
    Would you like to give me a step by step procedure on what to do once I try to jailbreak with Redsn0w and get stuck at the "Installing Activation Bundles" stage?

Ok so now I am on 3.1.2 jailbroken and hacktivated using Redsn0w 0.93. I now need to either go to 4.0 or 4.0.1 hacktivated. What are the next steps? At 3.1.2 I am NOT able to access internet (there are hardly any WIFI's in Kenya) and therefore have not been able to open Cydia so that it can "Rearrange". Is that a problem? Would someone kindly guide me to go to 4.0 or 4.0.1 hacktivated. I tried to use Snowbreeze 1.6.1 and it creadted custom firmware but I get an error from iTunes when trying to retore it.
    Last edited by aadil; 2010-10-16 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Limera1n is supposed to hactivate, that's why I earlier told you to restore and rejailbreak. Not sure why it's not working for you though.

Personally, I'd recommend not using snowbreeze. It has a pretty bad reputation. Supposedly the new update to pwnagetool should be released tomorrow so you could make a custom 4.1 firmware with that.

Just to have it completely clarified, when you jailbroke at 4.x earlier, did you do it while you were at the emergency screen? and when the jailbreak was done, you were still at the emergency screen?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

aadil (2010-10-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Restore to 3.1.2 again and when you get the 1015 error dont jailbreak at that point. First kick it out of recovery with tiny umbrella or recboot. Once at the emergency call screen, then use redsn0w to jailbreak. That is what i think dhamien was trying to get at.

Once jailbroken with redsn0w you will be able to restore a custom firmware on it. You can make a 4.1 custom with sn0wbreeze or wait until pwnage tool is released and make a custom 4.1 with that.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

aadil (2010-10-17)

Thanks

Thanks to everyone here for coming to my help and suggesting options.

I tried to restore it to 3.1.2. It gave me error 1015 on iTunes which I simply ignored. I then used Redsn0w 0.9.3 to try to jailbreak it. On my iPhone it said "Flashing NOR" and then it said "Installing Activation bundles" however at this point it hangs. Looks as though it is 90% complete but it hangs and then it does nothing, just stays at this point. All I need to do is somehow jailbreak into 3.1.2 successfully and then if I do so, I know my way around unless there is another way to get back onto 4.0 or 4.0.1 keeping in mind that I need hacktivation.
    Can someone tell me why the Redsn0w jailbreak is hanging while installing activation bundles or am I doing something wrong by ignoring the 1015 error?
    You don't ignore error 1015, use kick out of recovery from the feature of Tiny Umbrella and you will arrrive at Emergency Screen.
    Now from Emergency Screen, you can apply Redsn0w 0.9.4 to jailbreak your 3.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Limera1n works on all iOS 4 versions. It's greenpois0n that only works on 4.1
    Thank You, Dhamien.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-16 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

21. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

aadil (2010-10-17)

First of all thanks to all of you for replying and helping me out. I am back on iOS 4 hacktivated (:
    Dhamien, Limera1n worked for me. I guess I was using an old version but when I downloaded it again and tried it on iOS4, it hacktivated and worked just fine.
    I must say Sn0wbreeze gave me issues. When I was on 3.1.2 hacktivated with Redsn0w093, I tried to create a custom iOS4 firmware with Sn0wbreeze 1.6.1 and when I tried to restore it using iTunes, it gave me an unknown error (2)
    Anyway, what matters is that I am back on iOS4 hacktivated and waiting to go to iOS4.1 as soon as the Pwnage tool is released within hours.
    So thank you all for making suggestions and replying. I am truly grateful (:

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

First of all thanks to all of you for replying and helping me out. I am back on iOS 4 hacktivated (:
    Dhamien, Limera1n worked for me. I guess I was using an old version but when I downloaded it again and tried it on iOS4, it hacktivated and worked just fine.
    I must say Sn0wbreeze gave me issues. When I was on 3.1.2 hacktivated with Redsn0w093, I tried to create a custom iOS4 firmware with Sn0wbreeze 1.6.1 and when I tried to restore it using iTunes, it gave me an unknown error (2)
    Anyway, what matters is that I am back on iOS4 hacktivated and waiting to go to iOS4.1 as soon as the Pwnage tool is released within hours.
    Glad it worked out for you

Well snowbreeze only works most of the time on old bootrom 3GS you may have the new bootrom. But the most important thing is that you got everything sorted