Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Jailbreak/Unlock eventually not possible?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default iPhone Jailbreak/Unlock eventually not possible?
    I was just reading this today.
    GreenPois0n Will Only Jailbreak the iPhone 4, iPad and iPod Touch 4G

Basically, unlock for 4.1 is not currently possible. With Apple patching more and more security flaws by the update, it seems that we may eventually run out of tricks. Take for example

1. The iPhone 2G was incredibly easy to unlock and jailbreak

2. The iPhone 3G still allowed custom firmware and downgrading baseband. Apple begins ECID-SHSH signing process to prevent jailbreaking.

3. The iPhone 3GS started to make things a bit difficult. Apple modified the bootrom and we were stock with a phone which had to be "tethered" when you boot up the phone. Take a look at "blackra1n" and you'll see what I mean. Custom firmware no longer possible at this point.

4. The iPhone 4 jailbreak has taken the longest time to develop out of any iPhone. ECID SHSH signing times are reduced to an even smaller window at this point. The GreenPois0n jailbreak hasn't been released for a long time now, which means reduced frequency of jailbreak releases compared to before.

It seems to me like the battle is going more and more uphill. Eventually, that hill will become vertical and it will become impossible for us to Jailbreak. If this happens, we might lose a VERY big part of the iPhone functionality. Without the jailbreak, the iPhone is a tiger in a very tightly packed cage. Also, without future unlocks, we will be forced into using the iPhone with AT&T and similar exclusive carriers.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Not sure that I agree. The recent jailbreak tools allow us to jailbreak all current devices forever. Nothing that Apple can do about it. Don't really think that counts as them winning.

Even for the future, it's possible that SHAtter will work on next gen devices meaning that very shortly after iphone 5 is released, it too could be jailbroken forever.

@ point 3: custom firmwares will once again work on all current devices once pwnagetool incorporates the limera1n exploit.

@ point 4: no, it hasn't. The jailbreak for the i4 was released in half the time it took to jailbreak firmware 3.1.3 and signing times aren't dependent on the devices. They're dependent on how long a particular firmware version is out before a new one is released.
    Last edited by dhamien; 2010-10-15 at 04:59 PM.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

One solution is to stop upgrading the firmware. I was told by a wise person to just stick with what I have. I have the 3.1.3 3gs new bootrom. I JB and got mywi first thing. I have all the apps I need, and everything works perfectly. I guess the old adage--don't fix what ain't broke--is true here. Probably within the next 12 months, my wife will be getting an iphone 4.x or even 5.0. If a JB is available, I will do it for her. The most important app for me has been mywi.

jailbreak forever means we can upgrade through iTunes without any problems??

If I understand your question, then JB is not forever. Every time you upgrade the firmware,through iTunes or anywhere, you basically start over. You need to JB each new version and reload apps, contacts, etc. Since I have never needed to do this, then someone correct me if I'm wrong.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boochase View Post
    If I understand your question, then JB is not forever. Every time you upgrade the firmware,through iTunes or anywhere, you basically start over. You need to JB each new version and reload apps, contacts, etc. Since I have never needed to do this, then someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yes, you would need to re-jailbreak the phone each time you upgraded your firmware, but the ABILITY to jailbreak your device is permanent, no matter what the firmware is. In other words, if Apple releases a new firmware version, you can simply use SHAtter to jailbreak it, you wouldn't need to wait for a new jailbreak to be released. This applies to all current Apple devices that use the exploitable bootROM.
    That being said, while there is nothing they can do about the current devices, Apple will probably counter this vulnerability in the next round of devices that they release by updating the bootROM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by apw100 View Post
    Yes, you would need to re-jailbreak the phone each time you upgraded your firmware, but the ABILITY to jailbreak your device is permanent, no matter what the firmware is. In other words, if Apple releases a new firmware version, you can simply use SHAtter to jailbreak it, you wouldn't need to wait for a new jailbreak to be released. This applies to all current Apple devices that use the exploitable bootROM.
    That being said, while there is nothing they can do about the current devices, Apple will probably counter this vulnerability in the next round of devices that they release by updating the bootROM.
    Exactly. Though you mean the limera1n exploit and not SHAtter as SHAtter was the one that they held back. Otherwise spot on.

so are the last 2 posts saying that 4.2 will be jailbreakable using limerain? I understood everything in here until the last 2 posts lol.

Dumb question but what if you have jb'd a 3GS and it broke. You get a replacement. From apple. If the firmware is update 4.2- are we screwed even though (I) have my shsh blobs backed up on my pc?

Just looking for clarification. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SepticTank View Post
    Dumb question but what if you have jb'd a 3GS and it broke. You get a replacement. From apple. If the firmware is update 4.2- are we screwed even though (I) have my shsh blobs backed up on my pc?

Just looking for clarification. Thanks.

Every iphone is idevice specific, every ECID is unique, in case you are not sure what unique means, one and only one. It is like your car driving license, no one can have the same license number as yours.
    So the answer is , you are screwed with the replacement without prior shsh blogs being saved by Cydia.

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Every iphone is idevice specific, every ECID is unique, in case you are not sure what unique means, one and only one. It is like your car driving license, no one can have the same license number as yours.
    So the answer is , you are screwed with the replacement without prior shsh blogs being saved by Cydia.
    Yeow- that's what I was asking. I do have my blobs saved on cydia and on my pc. So then that signature would transfer to new phone? So does the shsh that was saved, replace what the new phone would come with?

Thanks for not kicking my butt on this question. Hahaha.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SepticTank View Post
    Yeow- that's what I was asking. I do have my blobs saved on cydia and on my pc. So then that signature would transfer to new phone? So does the shsh that was saved, replace what the new phone would come with?

Thanks for not kicking my butt on this question. Hahaha.

No, the SHSH you have can't be transferred. It fits only one device.

But to answer the other question, if you got a new 3GS in a month and it was on 4.2, then you would be able to get a tethered jailbreak guaranteed and it would be made untethered as soon as Comex added one of his kernel hacks to it (apparently he has several up his sleeve).