Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbroke 4 to 4.1 with baseband 1.59, must return phone to apple - HELP

I'm so happy to hear this. Thank god were not all screwed.

At least this issue saved me from returning my iPhone and losing the 1.59 baseband when I did not really have to. So far after my full restore my wifi 'seems' ok so far. Only time will tell.

Yes, I did reboot, several times throughout this process.

The original problem with the high pitched buzzing in the phone line is still present, but atleast I now have an iPhone 4 running 4.1 and a 02.10.04 baseband. Hopefully my Apple visit tomorrow will be a pleasant one that ends in a new iPhone.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

I'm glad I didn't have to wait around for help from the Tiny Umbrella guy. This is the email he just sent me:

The changing of the hosts file is part of the protection process. If you wanted to update your baseband all you needed to do was comment the gs.apple.com entries from your hosts file. I cannot see any good reason to update your baseband though. Incidentally, you didn't need to delete umbrella from your computer. That step was unnecessary.

I suppose I assumed the people using this would be a bit more knowledgeable about this stuff. Apparently the readme and my blog aren't enough to inform people.

What a ****.
    Last edited by blainesill; 2010-10-15 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sorry forgot to mention take TU out of "ect" folder as well so all you should of had was 5 files in "ect", I've been asleep since good news tho :-)

Delete 127.0.0.1 localhost as well
    Last edited by Greenrabbit; 2010-10-15 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenrabbit View Post
    Sorry forgot to mention take TU out of "ect" folder as well so all you should of had was 5 files in "ect", I've been asleep since good news tho :-)

Delete 127.0.0.1 localhost as well
    You should never delete the "127.0.0.1 localhost" line. This is the standard hostname given to the address of the loopback network interface of your computer. You should only delete lines in your host file that references "gs.apple.com", like:

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com (or)
    127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

FYI: there is a bug in the recent versions of TinyUmbrella which is responsible for all these problems. When you run Tiny Umbrella and save your SHSH blobs to Cydia and to your local computer, TinyUmbrella adds 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com to your host file. TinyUmbrella should remove this line when you exit, but doesn't. I have tweeted @notcom, the developer about this problem.

Update Oct 17, 2010:

OK, I have been told that not removing the reference to gs.apple.com in your hosts file is a feature and not a bug. It was implemented to help the people who aren't too knowledgable about the whole SHSH thing.
    Last edited by reddawg; 2010-10-18 at 02:40 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

Default nothing works for me
    I have updated from 4.01 to 4.1 using TU to preserve BB 1.59.
    But i donīt need to unlock and i have big problems with the reliability of the data connection.
    Iīm on 4.1 now and try to restore 4.1 again.
    My hostfile is clean. from the ect folder i deleted the TU file.
    I canīt flash at all. I always get "error"3194"
    But if i use TU i CAN restore my firmware but not the BB.
    I even tried that on another computer.

Is it possible that, now that 4.21 is out itīs not working anymore?
    Please help me, iīm lost.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Just point your hosts file towards cydia by adding the ip address and restore to stock 4.1 firmware to update your baseband. Don't start tss server. Try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Just point your hosts file towards cydia by adding the ip address and restore to stock 4.1 firmware to update your baseband. Don't start tss server. Try it out.
    I appreciate your help. I just tried it and ended up with Error 1004 again. So everything is lost again.
    This is my host file:

# For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # ::1 localhost

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    Last edited by nearlygod; 2011-01-05 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

did you reboot after making the changed before attempting the restore?

Thanks

Error 1004, kick out of recovery will get you to emergency screen but your BB is still 1.59.xx. You can only update your BB to 03.10.xx by restoring to 4.2.1 through apple server. Then downgrade back to 4.1 with the help of 4.1 shsh blob and jailbreak it to get untethered.

Error 1004, kick out of recovery will get you to emergency screen but your BB is still 1.59.xx. You can only update your BB to 03.10.xx by restoring to 4.2.1 through apple server. Then downgrade back to 4.1 with the help of 4.1 shsh blob and jailbreak it to get untethered.
    Thanks for explaining, but why is that?

If i restore to 4.21 and then downgrade to 4.1, once again i will have a baseband which doesnīt correspond with my os, right?

(yes, i did a reboot after changing the host file)

Thanks

Yes, but I think that's is the only way to update your baseband and you should be still good

13. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

nearlygod (2011-01-05)

Yes, but I think that's is the only way to update your baseband and you should be still good
    Hm, Iīm cautious. I have serios issues with the combination i am running. My data connection drops every hours or so and i have to reboot. Very anoying.
    I probably wait then for the 4.21 untethered JB. Another option would be to go back to 4.01, but setting all up again...worst case.
    Thanks for your help.

p.s. When iīve been with winmo i thought, when i get an iphone things would be easier. WRONG. Just many things arenīt possible anymore. Next phone is an Android for sure.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234