Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbroke 4 to 4.1 with baseband 1.59, must return phone to apple - HELP

Quote Originally Posted by Greenrabbit View Post
    Go "c"drive/windows/system32/drivers/ect/host, make a backup of host file first, then go into your first host file open with notepad and scroll all the way to bottom and you will see 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com. Well you after delete this and upto 127.0.1 local host and depending what in your host file it should be only 2 lines to delete, and save. Then restore though iTunes and you should be back to normal iPhone again

How would one do this on a Mac?

ok maybe i missed something. i have a iphone 4 also on 4.02 at bb 1.59. is this not normal for the i4?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by helstar View Post
    ok maybe i missed something. i have a iphone 4 also on 4.02 at bb 1.59. is this not normal for the i4?
    yes that's normal, I don't think there was a baseband update until 4.1

Not to sure? Best way is goggle this " changing host file on mac" follow them on screen how they get to host file and then you can start deleting

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blainesill View Post
    How would one do this on a Mac?
    go to

/etc/hosts

then make the changes

6. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

helstar (2010-10-15)

To this end, I have constructed a server that duplicates the functionality exposed by Apple's signature server, except using "on file" results rather than live requests.
    All we need, then, is to make iTunes use it. Luckily, most operating systems also have the ability to locally define bypasses on specific hostnames through a file called hosts. Using this, we can redirect requests to Apple's signature server to Cydia.
    So, open the file CWindows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file.
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    Now, when iTunes thinks it is talking to Apple, it is talking to Cydia instead. Doing this will allow iTunes to access signatures already stored by Cydia's "on file" feature.
    This server will also act as a cache for any SHSH blobs it hasn't seen, acting as an intermediary to Apple's server. This effectively registers your device with the "on file" mechanism, which means you can now enjoy the protections of being able to downgrade your firmware in the future even if you aren't jailbroken.

so my next question is. right now i unlocked the phone since i was still at the 1.59. now if i use the tu to upgrade to 4.1 and also perserve the bb, the bb is permently locked at 1.59 and if i need to turn into apple they wont work on the phone since it has been jb?

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Did you preserve it with tiny umbrella first and then do another restore to 4.1 without TU.

Yes I downgrade to 4.0.1 from 4.1 1.59 the on another pc I upgrade it to 4.1 and 2.10

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Right before going restore but done kick out of recovery tell apple it crashed and thell restore it themselves and it updates the baseband.. Sources= personal experience

##
    # Host Database
    #
    # localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
    # when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
    ##
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
    ::1 localhost
    fe80::1%lo0 localhost
    127.0.0.1 obdev.at
    #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

So, I delete everything up to #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com?

Just clarifying before doing this. I'm not savvy with this sort of stuff.

No say you don't want to be jailbroken no more, so you just alter you host file and then update to latest FW in iTunes and that's it new baseband and FW back to normal iPhone

Have you made back of host file if so, then go ahead and delete up to "do not change this entry"
    Last edited by Greenrabbit; 2010-10-15 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You can delete any doubles, the rest mark with this #, to ignore.
    Save it and reboots
    Now when you restore to 4.1, it will verify with Apple.

Hopefully , this time it will update your baseband.

Well, I just edited the host file exactly as said, and I just got the 1004 error again.

:/

Just looked in host file.
    besides usual also had:
    # 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    # 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    I just deleted it all and replaced it with
    127.0.0.1 local host

Anyway, will reboot later and try it if I have to in the future. It is good to know it was such a silly mistake. But I don't understand why some of them were remmed out while others were not. It seems that Tiny Umbrella sometimes cleans itself up and sometimes does not.

This is going to cause alot of problems for people in the future.

I am currently doing a step by step to re-jailbreak my iPhone checking the WiFi connection inbetween at each step and all seems all ok now. (cross fingers) So the original reason I wanted to bring it into Apple is hopefully gone. Now restoring all my music/photos and apps.

Thanks everyone for you assistance in tracking this down.

Thanks

Did you mark everything like this :
    #fe80::1%lo0 localhost
    #127.0.0.1 obdev.at
    #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

Well, I just edited the host file exactly as said, and I just got the 1004 error again.

:/
    Nothing in there is pointing to Apple? Just remove all lines that mention Apple at all in the hosts file. It must be it.

There's nothing pointing to Apple at all. I removed everything up until "do not change this entry".

I don't know what to try next.

The TU creator tweeted back to me earlier, asking Windows or Mac, but I haven't heard back from him since.

There's nothing pointing to Apple at all. I removed everything up until "do not change this entry".

I don't know what to try next.

The TU creator tweeted back to me earlier, asking Windows or Mac, but I haven't heard back from him since.
    Maybe you still have something pointing to local host and have Tiny Umbrella running somehow. Look at task manager and see if anything weird or TU is running.
    Also maybe copy and past your whole hosts file into here.

This totally makes sense that this is the problem. Especially since someone else tried a new PC installation that just never ran TU and it worked.

I DID IT!

I completely removed TU from my computer, and it finally restored all the way. I didn't know that just having it on my computer was affecting things as well.

I've never been so happy to have a stock iPhone, haha.

THANK YOU to everyone who helped. This forum is a lifesaver. Well, atleast a phone saver.

Thanks

Did you reboot your pc after making changes

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast