Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Clean JB / Cydia install- Security concerns???

Default Clean JB / Cydia install- Security concerns???
    I have recently JB'ed by 3GS with GreenPois0n.

I used the Loader to install Cydia.

The only reason I have JB'ed is to edit the PLIST file to disable homescreen wallpapers and Multitasking on my 3GS- which I've now done.

My question is.......

Is my JB'ed phone at risk from virus's, worms, et; now that it has been JB'ed? I have read about changing the root password- which I can look into and do if needed. But bearing in mind I have not installed any packages into Cydia (and don't think I ever will be)- do I need to do anything? Does the risk come only if I was to install "OpenSHH"? (which I haven't)

Many thanks for all help and advice

Regards,
    Ian

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You can install ssh but you have to change the password to protect your device being hacked into. If you changed your password, you are good to go.

To answer your question, no. You aren't at risk in the same way you would be on your computer.

Granted, people can hack in but it isn't easy. openSSH is very safe and nothing to worry about. Go ahead and change your password (it is usually alpine).

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a way for me to change the password "without" installing anything else onto my phone??? ie is there a windows prog I can connect to the phone to do this I have "Iphone Browser")

Cheers,
    Ian

Not really. Why are you so concerned with cydia packages?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to akward silence For This Useful Post:

IDN101 (2010-10-14)

False don't change it, no ones gunna hack your iPhone and if they do just restore, they can only hack in if your on the same wifi and there pinging every ip address

Most ppl that change it forget what they changed it to plus it messes up resale value and it saves it on backup so if you restore because you forgot the password your screwed

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BenderRodriguez For This Useful Post:

IDN101 (2010-10-14)

It can happen, and I've done it.

I went into a coworkers's phone and deleted this game he played instead of working. I had to...my boss gave me a bonus for it. :P

10. The Following User Says Thank You to akward silence For This Useful Post:

IDN101 (2010-10-14)

Thanks for all the help guys.

Ian

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

When you install open ssh, you have to install mobileterminal too, to generate the keys before you can ssh into your iphone.
    To change your password, you type : passwd

A restore will clean up everything. So don't worry about forgeting the password when you try to sell your iphone.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-15 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost