Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Already unlocked iPhone4 - does baseband matter.

Default Already unlocked iPhone4 - does baseband matter.
    Hello,

I purchased an unlocked iPhone 4 from Apple directly (in Canada). It's currently on iOS 4.0.2 with a baseband of 01.59.00.

My question is - since the phone was never locked to begin with and is suppose to remain unlocked, does it matter whether my baseband gets updated or not?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

No, you have the factory unlocked, you can just restore to 4.1 with your sim card to activate and then jailbreak with GP or Limera1n.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

tempus. (2010-10-14)

Thanks for the nearly instantaneous reply (I remembered to hit the thanks button).

Just to try and understand things a little bit better:
    So the state of the phone being factory-unlocked sits outside of both the iOS and the baseband. i.e. the phone is hardwired to take sim cards from any carrier regardless of the baseband.

Thanks

Yes, once factory unlocked, it is always unlocked. Just remember when you do a restore, always put in your sim card to activate it first before you do the jailbreak. The reason is in future, there are some jailbreak which will hactivate it for you and if you let it do that, then you will not get signal after the jailbreak.

Green Apple
    Thanks

In other words, when jailbreaking, never check anything that says hacktivate or activate because you won't need to and also because if you hacktivate the newest baseband you won't get signal. I'm jealous of you my friend.

iPhone? More like MyPhone alpawa's Avatar
    Thanks

Factory unlocked iPhone 4 on iOS 4.1... I want to jailbreak for all the goodies in cydia... if I got this right, using limera1n does not affect the unlock and does not cause any problems down the road for instance if I want to restore using itunes or updating to 4.2 in november...I'm I right?

Thanks

you are correct, a factory unlocked phone will never lose it's unlock, doesn't matter which version of iTunes you use or what you use to jailbreak

9. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

alpawa (2010-10-15)

Default 4.0.1 to 4.1 JB question
    I have an iphone 4, 4.0.1, BB-01.59.00 - already JB and unlocked/hactivated. through ?ultrasnow.

1. should i upgrade to 4.1
    2. if i do, exactly what order do I do things, including the TSS thing (and where are there detailed instructions for preserving the BB)

greatly appreciate someone's help.

Thanks

preserving the baseband is as easy as starting the TSS server, starting iTunes, then clicking shift+restore (pc) or option+restore (Mac) and selecting the 4.1 ipsw, as far as updating it's your personal preference
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-10-15 at 08:35 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

bmarkoff (2010-10-15)

Default TSS questions
    I am not a complete newbie, as I have done JB a few times, burned custom ROMS on old windows mobile phones, BUT I am nervous about the TSS thing and preserving the BB. is there a more definitive place I can read about the detailed instructions and what to expect? I dont want to brick my phone.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I just thought of something regarding what I read a couple days ago. Aren't the Canadian unlocked phones only unlocked to Canadian carriers? Of course that's good for Canadian users, but if someone from the US bought one from Canada, it wouldn't work for AT&T right? Or did I misread the article...

iPhone? More like MyPhone alpawa's Avatar
    Thanks

Factory unlocked iPhones are unlocked, period! I have a canadian one an live in Guatemala. No prob!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Nvm I re-read it. In Canada, if bought with a contract it is locked to the carrier. If bought full retail price, it stays unlocked.

Thanks

If bought with a contract , it is still factory unlocked, if you don't fulfill the contract, you only get a penalty fee , if you don't pay, you will bad credit ratings on your social number.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

:/ these articles confuse me

If you look at the iPhone4 price in Canada, there are actually 3 "classes":
    1. Direct from Apple Store $659 for 16gb.
    2. No contract from Rogers/Bell/Telus $649
    3. With 3 year contract $159

I'm not absolutely sure about the price of point #2... when I was first looking I recall there was a bigger difference (~$50). Essentially, when I asked Apple and Rogers I was told the "no contract" phone from the phone companies is LOCKED. You can terminate your service without penalty, but you can't take your phone with you.

Check for yourself to be sure. And remember, anytime a Bell, Rogers or Telus seems to be giving you a deal - be very careful.

Thanks

Currently Canadian Iphone 4 is out of stock, you will have to wait about one and a half months.

Hi I know a bit about JB, but confused with all this baseband stuff. Basically I've got an iPhone 4 it's on 4.1 and jailbroken and it's locked onto one network Vodafone UK originally which I'm using so there's no need for me to use ultrasnow or whatever. So what I'm saying is if and when the new 4.2 jailbreak is released do I just upgrade to it and then jailbreak it and it should be fine shouldn't it? I mean I'm using the same sim that the iPhone is locked to so is there any need for me to worry about all these baseband features or what?

Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ob_14 View Post
    Hi I know a bit about JB, but confused with all this baseband stuff. Basically I've got an iPhone 4 it's on 4.1 and jailbroken and it's locked onto one network Vodafone UK originally which I'm using so there's no need for me to use ultrasnow or whatever. So what I'm saying is if and when the new 4.2 jailbreak is released do I just upgrade to it and then jailbreak it and it should be fine shouldn't it? I mean I'm using the same sim that the iPhone is locked to so is there any need for me to worry about all these baseband features or what?

Thanks.
    No, you don't have to worry about the baseband. You can restore to 4.2.1 and be able to use your official carrier.
    The new jailbreak is tethered so you might want to wait till untether is out.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

ob_14 (2010-12-01)

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    No, you don't have to worry about the baseband. You can restore to 4.2.1 and be able to use your official carrier.
    The new jailbreak is tethered so you might want to wait till untether is out.
    Yeah I mean I haven't upgraded yet I'm still waiting for the Jailbreak to come out for 4.2 untethered so.