Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: downgrading firmware/baseband question

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default downgrading firmware/baseband question
    ok, so I'm on AT&T and I just upgraded to ios 4.1 on monday since it was jailbreakable and i don't have to worry about baseband. I saved my shsh files on cydia just in case though.

all was fine for me until my sister called today, and said she just bought a brand new iPhone 4, and wanted me to help her unlock it since she's on tmobile, I told her I couldn't unlock hers since it was on 4.1. and she can't downgrade. but I thought maybe if I downgrade mine, we can just trade.

so the question is.... if I downgrade my firmware does it downgrade my baseband too? because i read that on the iPhone 4, you can downgrade the baseband.

I'm just curious because I've searched and searched and all I could find was how to upgrade to 4.1 without upgrading the baseband, I could not find a single tutorial to downgrade the baseband.

no you cant downgrade baseband even by downgrading firmware if you had a 3g with bootloader 5.8 you could but other than that no you can not

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DevouredDreams For This Useful Post:

HDoan112 (2010-10-15)

it was possible for you to update to 4.1 without updating the baseband by using tinyumbrella, but its too late for that now. Tell your sister to hold on, a new unlock should be available probably in a month-ish.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thecrunked For This Useful Post:

HDoan112 (2010-10-15)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

All the more reason I would recommend that you never update the baseband, even if you're on AT&T! You never know if you might have to switch carriers or sell the phone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to z6joker9 For This Useful Post:

HDoan112 (2010-10-15)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    ok, thanks everyone. i knew i should've looked it up before updating it, but was too lazy and had a lot of hw to do, so i just updated it anyways. oh well, we all learn from our mistakes, and i still have my iphone so im still happy, lol