Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Push Notifications fail

Default Push Notifications fail
    I've read numerous ways of resolving my issue by searching the site and many others.. but failed to find a solution to my problem. I know this is an iPhone forum and there's a forum for the iPad but the issue is the same despite the iDevice so i'm posting here in an effort of a quicker (and probably better) response.

so yeah, please help me

1. I got an iPad 16GB wifi fw3.22 jailbroken with l1merain
    2. I also got an iPhone 4 which has push notifications up and running, everything is ok..

3. both are on the same network.

4. push notifications wont work..

after a lot of researching I've found out that push notifications work ONLY if I change my wifi DNS server on the iDevice to 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 and so on.. but this wont be normal as it will last for about 15 minutes or so.. then it breaks them again..

on the other hand gmail push through the exchange server works ok both on iphone/ipad.. guess that's due to a different mechanism used.

tried installing push doctor.. nothing.

tried removing and reinstalling the push application.. nothing

any further ideas? its getting really frustrating.. and push nots are essential to my work..

thanks in advance.

anyone?
    Last edited by stocis; 2010-10-14 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Thanks is an acknowledgment

What about trying pushfix from pushfix.info

Sorry, can't be more help :-(

.........I'm not sure about compatibility either....
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-10-14 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

stocis (2010-10-14)

Ur right about the email, it doesn't use push notifications, it's something different. For ur wifi how is it set up? Dhcp off? and do push notifications work when u are connected to a different wifi network? And for ur iphone 4, it should be using cell data for push notifications so wifi is irrelevant..unless u don't have a data plan? In that case, cellular data needs to be disabled in settings

@Weston, pushfix works on FW less that 4.1, but I wouldn't use it unless u hacktivated, which is not even necessary on an iPad wifi..could work for iPhone though if u hacktivated
    Last edited by Waleed786; 2010-10-14 at 03:02 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Waleed786 For This Useful Post:

stocis (2010-10-14)

ok thanks for all your help for starters!

@westonben

tried pushfix.. nothing much didnt help at all.. nothing changed.

@waleed786

no data plan on the iphone.. plus i turned off the edge / 3g through sbsettings and removed all info so it wouldnt have any way of getting push through there and everything works fine

on the other hand you've asked about the wifi..
    my provider here in cyprus uses shared ip.
    due to that i got a secondary router which i've installed to be used as a splitter/second wifi.

the dhcp is off in the second wifi so the ip of it is 192.168.1.100 while the other one has the default 192.168.1.1 ipad/iphone/pc/laptops get all adresses in the range of 192.168.60-70 in whichever of the two wifi routers are connected and everything works fine (iphone)

even so though, whichever router the ipad is connected to the notifications stop to come after 10-15minutes of standby or even in homescreen.

trying to be more specific i'm testing all these with meebo and ipusher. both fail to push notifications after a small amount of time.

also i forgot to note that i restored network settings a couple of times and it didnt work.. it should be something with the router or ipad but i dont know what.. in any case iphone works so it must be something deeper than that.

thanks again for all the help you're giving in and i'm really open to suggestions..
    Thanks is an acknowledgment