Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3gs erase content (Help)

Default Iphone 3gs erase content (Help)
    3GS on 3.1.3 – successfully Jailbroken via Spirit and successfully unlocked via Ultrasn0w. Fired up Cydia and clicked the "make my life easier" but – does that still work?

I used Erase All Content and Settings" and enter the reset to Apple Logo and won’t come out of it.
    Tried:
>Soft and hard reboot
>DFU mode

It does not show up on itunes, the apple logo sometime has the "status wheel, frozen, superimposed over the Apple Logo" on it and it then restarts.

It does not enter DFU mode all I want to do is upgrade it to 4.0

Can anyone point me to the right direction to get this fix. Its a 32gb Iphone 3gs.
    I also have itunes 9.2 (61)

Thanks
    Last edited by JoeRalat; 2010-10-14 at 12:22 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Update itunes to atleast 9.2 and if you have 4.0 shsh blogs.
    Run Notepad as Admin , open up hosts file and add this line :
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    save it and reboots your pc
    Put your iphone into recovery mode
    Now do the Shift + Restore 4.0 ipsw.

Erase all content and settings takes a LONG time to complete. Usually several hours.

Thanks, Yeah I seen that it may take some time, so I am letting it run over night to see if that will fix the problem, if not...I just want to do a restore.

yeow202.. I don't do this jailbraking stuff a lot...
    What is 4.0 shsh blogs is it a type of ipsw?

This part I am not sure of. I am the admin if my mac

Run Notepad as Admin , open up hosts file and add this line :
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    save it and reboots your pc

What host file?

Thanks again for the help

How long ago did you jailbreak the phone and click "Make my life easier" by the way?

Because unless you have SHSH blobs on file with Cydia, you are going to have to restore the phone to 4.1, thus upgrading your baseband and losing the ability to unlock.

Thanks

If you have jailbroken your 3.1.3 awhile ago and have click make my life easier, then you should have 4.0 shsh blogs. These blogs are needed for restore on 3gs when apple has stopped signing these firmware, without it, you can only restore to the latest version and no going back, meaning no downgrade.

I jailbroken my phone when the spirt version came out for the ipad...
    If it means I have to got to 4.1...then I will do it. I would like to unlock it..but right now I just want to make sure the phone is not bricked for good.

I never did any king of shsh blobs. If the phone does come back online after a few hours, do I have to still upgrade to 4.1?

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    If you have jailbroken your 3.1.3 awhile ago and have click make my life easier, then you should have 4.0 shsh blogs. These blogs are needed for restore on 3gs when apple has stopped signing these firmware, without it, you can only restore to the latest version and no going back, meaning no downgrade.

Yeah, I click make my life easier..(Again I haven't jailbroken often) the shsh blog should be on my mac? Is so where. Like I said, I be happy to go to 4.0 or even 4.1..I just the phone to work.
    Last edited by JoeRalat; 2010-10-14 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Joe:

If you clicked "Make my life easier" you DO have SHSH blobs. But the question is which ones. Give us a rough time window of when you jailbroke and clicked "make my life easier" and we can determine if you have SHSH blobs available for pre-4.1

When Spirit came out for iPad doesn't help much because I don't know when that was. But I am guessing it was several months back in which case you should have at least 4.0/4.0.1/4.0.2 blobs saved.

In which case you just need to do what yeow said. Once the phone is back to a useable state, modify your hosts file to point to Cydia, download a stock firmware of 4.0/4.0.1/4.0.2 and SHIFT + Restore to that version.

Then you will be on whichever pre-4.1 firmware you haveSHSH blobs for and can jailbreak using limera1n or jailbreakme depending which firmware you end up on.

EDIT - The SHSH blobs are not on your computer. They are stored on Saurik (the Cydia developer) web server. That is why you edit your host file, to point iTunes to his server instead of Apples server.

Ok, its lot more clearer...I did the jailbreaking 2-3 months ago.

The last part that I do not get it to edit the host... I know I use note pad to edit and add that line..but what host file.

Thanks

Thanks

Here if you use a pc : Cwindows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRalat View Post
    Ok, its lot more clearer...I did the jailbreaking 2-3 months ago.

The last part that I do not get it to edit the host... I know I use note pad to edit and add that line..but what host file.

Thanks
    Are you on a PC or a Mac?

If PC, it's in C: \Windows\System32\drivers\etc

hosts file

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Also in the majority if circumstances reset will brick a jailbroken phone until you restore so I would restore if I was you

On a mac hosts is in private\etc\hosts

Thanks again for the help...I wanted to do a restore after the erase all content...because I was thinking it was bricked..I did not know it would take that long...I may just restore it...

Thanks again

If you can restore it I'd just do that.

You'll have to download a stock firmware I'd suggest 4.0 for starters. Kinda depends what iOS you'd prefer to be on. You can download them here:

iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From

Make sure to get the correct one for your phone (3GS).

After editing the hosts file to point to Cydia, just Shift + Restore in iTunes and select the IPSW you downloaded. If you have SHSH blobs backed up it should restore fine. If you get an iTunes 3xxx error that means you didn't have SHSH blobs available. You can try 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 if that happens.

Good luck

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bellyfrog For This Useful Post:

JoeRalat (2010-10-14)

The issue I have is itunes doesn't see the iphone and I can't get it into recovery mode. I keep getting the apple logo and it goes shows the status wheel..then it restart back up... and does that over again. I hope that it will go back to normal and I can just do a restore to 4.0.

Is it normal for it to stay on the logo then do the status wheel and restart back to the apple logo? From 4pm to 12:00am its still doing that.

Thanks

you will probably have to put the phone in DFU mode to get iTunes to recognize it, look a couple of posts up where yeow202 gave you directions on what to do to restore, should fix you up

Ok...I got it to go into recover mode, but in I tunes it says "The iphone "Iphone" could not be restored.This device isn't eligible for the requested build" So I have to go to 4.1?

Thanks

If you have edited your hosts file, you can try and shift + restore to 4.0.1 and see if it will restore. This is just a quicker way of restoring, but you can actually check with tiny umbrella if you have any shsh. Try alt/ option + restore to 4.0.1 first

I think you have only a Mac

I am on my iPhone now. To check with TU
    If your iPhone is in Recovery, kick it out from the feature of TU
    Your iPhone must be bootable,
    Having your iPhone plug in
    Click advance tab
    Device/ version select your device, 4.0.1 shsh
    Request: Cydia
    Click save shsh
    Wait.. If answer is Yes, then you can restore to 4.0.1
    Start TSS server
    Alt/ option+ restore to 4.0.1