Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: my iphone 3g's home button doesn't work properly, and i can't enter DFU Mode to unlock

Default my iphone 3g's home button doesn't work properly, and i can't enter DFU Mode to unlock
    Hi, after having some problems I decided to update my sim locked iphone 3G to 3.1.3 - wish I hadn't. Now it's stuck at `connect to itunes - insert legit sim` screen, wants me to use an AT&T sim card. I tried using sn0wbreeze but it requires iPhone on DFU mode, and I can't get it on DFU Mode. Home - Power buttons don't work properly, I almost always need to press them two times to get them to work.

So is there any jailbreak app that doesn't require DFU Mode and can run when iphone isn't activated? Is there anything I can do myself? I don't want to hand my iPhone as 90% of them copies and then sells IMEI codes (long story).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

If you are at 3.1.3, you can run redsn0w 0.9.4 to jailbreak, point to 3.1.2. You only need to turn it off and the rest Redsn0w will take over.

redsn0w asks for my current firmware - which is 3.1.3. and it says `unable to recognize specified ipsw`

Thanks

Browse to 3.1.2 not 3.1.3, you have to download 3.1.2 yourself too.

ok i selected 3.1.2 but it still wanted me to get my iphone under DFU mode - which I can't

Thanks

Hmmm, I did mine with Redsn0w and the instructions was to turn it off and Redsn0w will kick in.

Where is your Home Button ? Don't know how it looks like when it is broken ..
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-13 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm pretty sure redsn0w does require DFU mode. What about spirit? I've never used it so I don't know what it requires.

Another option would be to try putting the phone into DFU using a different method. It still requires home+power but theres a chance it will work.

From phone being turned >ON< hold Home + Power until the screen goes black, wait 2 seconds and release Power but continue holding home. If you do it with the iPhone plugged into your computer, you will know if it worked because your screen will be blank but you will hear the "USB connected ding" sound when it enters DFU.

Best of luck

EDIT - Oh and I think jailbreakme works on 3.1.3 and that definitely does not require DFU Just browse safari to www.jailbreakme.com and voila

EDIT 2 - Ah right you don't have a SIM. Do you have a friend on AT&T you could borrow a SIM from? Or buy one from eBay or something. That's probably going to be your only option if you can't get your phone into DFU.
    Last edited by bellyfrog; 2010-10-13 at 10:38 PM.

OK i do the method you mentioned - screen goes blank for 30 secs while i'm holding the home button. after that even if i press home screen doesn't come but the device is still not in DFU mode and after like 20 secs it just goes back to normal recovery mode.

edit: disregard that its just home button jamming

damn this sucks
    Last edited by erichk; 2010-10-13 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks

Use Spiritjb.com

spirit requirements:

An activated device: one not stuck on the Connect to iTunes or Emergency Call screen.

Thanks

Yeah, you need a sim to do that.

No Home button and No valid sim , this is like giving you two equations but 3 unknowns to solve
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-14 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Where do you live? Are you in the USA? If so you must know someone with an AT&T SIM card.

If not you are pretty much stuck. You need to get a SIM or fix the home/power buttons at a mobile phone repair store.

right thanks

what will happen when i activate the phone? will i have access to home screen?

because i need guaranteed ways to unlock 3.1.3 without DFU mode... otherwise i'll have to pay like 50$ for service to downgrade it to 3.1.2 and then unlock.

also i live in turkey - i'll try to find universal activation sim card.

Thanks

If you can activate, you will get to Home Screen. Your universal sim might lead you another problem.

Can't understand how are you going to use this phone without a Home button.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-14 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Not sure if you've tried fixing your home button yourself, but a few tips I've read on other forums include simple things like blowing out the cable slot below the home button with compressed air. Others have found that holding their iphone in both hands and sort of giving it a slight twist helps too... has something to do with the internals not sitting quite right.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Just downgrade to 3.1.2 yourself then use blackra1n. You will have to put it in recovery first to downgrade. There are a few programs capable of doing that (recboot is one).