Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Request Walk-Through or How-To Guide for upgrading 3.1.2 to newer software

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Request Walk-Through or How-To Guide for upgrading 3.1.2 to newer software
    I am currently running a 3G on 3.1.2 software with a 5.11.07 band. I'm not sure how to get all the terms correct so please bare with me. I origianlly unlocked & Jailbroke the phone with Blackra!n & Cydia. Can someone assist me on updating the software to a newer version please? Anytime the phone ever crashes now (lieks to lock up on the apple logo), i just re-install & downgrade back to 3.1.2. Would i be able to do this is an issue comes about? If it helps I'm using Windows7 & i belive Itunes 9.2? I've hesistated to update itunes as well because i've read it messes up your unlocked iphone. Any help will be great! Thanks~

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If you require an unlock, your only option is to use Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 to create a custom firmware for 4.1.

Some basic steps:

1) download from iH8sn0w.com the Snowbreeze tool
    2) download a stock 4.1 ipsw (go to felixbruns.de)
    3) open Sn0wbreeze and select your 4.1 ipsw and create your custom firmware. If you have an official carrier's SIM, avoid selecting "activate" in expert mode. If you don't have a SIM to activate in iTunes with, you'll have to select "activate" in Sn0wbreeze.
    4) after the custom fw is built, it will be on your desktop.
    5) open iTunes
    6) set your phone to DFU mode
    7) hold shift and click restore and select your custom 4.1 ipsw. Make sure you don't accidentally select the stock one, or you'll lose the unlock.
    8) after the restore is finished, you can see the springboard
    9) go to Cydia and install ultrasn0w to unlock

Green Apple
    Thanks

it allows me to unlock and jailbreak. i should have fentioned both and not just one.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I'm sorry, I didn't understand that. What do you mean?

This is the exact situation i am also in. I just need to clarify some things.

Does the version of itunes matter?
    How exactly do you put the phone into DFU mode? And get it out.
    My jailbreak is a blackrain and I am on AT&T so do not need unlock. So what do i select as far as sim goes?
    My jailbreak is not tethered it is the older 3Gs broken 3.1.2
    I want to get up to a os 4 because alot of apps now demand it.

Thank you so much for this information

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    If you require an unlock, your only option is to use Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 to create a custom firmware for 4.1.

Some basic steps:

1) download from iH8sn0w.com the Snowbreeze tool
    2) download a stock 4.1 ipsw (go to felixbruns.de)
    3) open Sn0wbreeze and select your 4.1 ipsw and create your custom firmware. If you have an official carrier's SIM, avoid selecting "activate" in expert mode. If you don't have a SIM to activate in iTunes with, you'll have to select "activate" in Sn0wbreeze.
    4) after the custom fw is built, it will be on your desktop.
    5) open iTunes
    6) set your phone to DFU mode
    7) hold shift and click restore and select your custom 4.1 ipsw. Make sure you don't accidentally select the stock one, or you'll lose the unlock.
    8) after the restore is finished, you can see the springboard
    9) go to Cydia and install ultrasn0w to unlock

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

If you don't need an unlock , that is easy.
    Update Itunes to the latest and hit restore in Itunes which will take you to 4.1.
    Put your ATNT sim to activate.
    Now you can either use GreenPoison or Limera1n to jailbreak.

I thought if I let AT&T do that through iTunes that it will erase my current data and my basebamd will be updated. I am hesitant to upgrade the base.
    If I do that how do I get back all of my cydia and rock installed apps? I have alot of hours in themes and such.
    Tha ks for your quick reply.

Also is limera1n a tethered break or untethered?
    Last edited by Blastfurnace; 2010-10-14 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You said this in your earlier post : My jailbreak is a blackrain and I am on AT&T so do not need unlock. So what do i select as far as sim goes and now you said this : my basebamd will be updated. I am hesitant to upgrade the base
    I don't really know what you want now.
    Then go with Annie's post if you want to preserve your baseband.
    When you have finished jailbreaking it, you can log in to your Cydia account and install back the stuffs you bought.
    I wouldn't recommend pkgbackup, because you are going from 3.1.2 to 4.1, some of your stuffs from Cydia for 3.1.2 may not work on IOS 4.1.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-14 at 02:20 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I am currently running on a jailbroken 3g 3.1.2 on T-mobile. I jail-broke it with Blackra!n. My itunes is currently 9.0.3.

I know how to place in DFU & Press Shift+Resore and reinstall back to 3.1.2 when my phone locks up. My only fear is if i upgrade to anything higher, will it completely lock up to where i am unable to unlock it on the tmobile network???

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amandarenee View Post
    I am currently running on a jailbroken 3g 3.1.2 on T-mobile. I jail-broke it with Blackra!n. My itunes is currently 9.0.3.

I know how to place in DFU & Press Shift+Resore and reinstall back to 3.1.2 when my phone locks up. My only fear is if i upgrade to anything higher, will it completely lock up to where i am unable to unlock it on the tmobile network???
    If you follow my steps, this will upgrade you to 4.1 and preserve your baseband so you can unlock still

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    If you follow my steps, this will upgrade you to 4.1 and preserve your baseband so you can unlock still
    Great! It sounds almost like the same guide as Blackra!n. With that, I just put the phone in dfu mode, pressed Shift+Restore, located 3.1.2, then "let it rain" lol. Then i just installed it along w/ Cydia. Sounds simple enough but knowing me, i'll somehow manage to screw it up.

Is it safe to update itunes as well? Sorry..i've hesitated to update anything b/c of all the negatives online.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Well no it's not really like blackra1n at all. Its using a custom fw which restoring to it will auto jb the phone. You will be forced to update iTunes if you are going up to 4.1 I believe. If not I think you can stay on whatever version you have, but it won't hurt to upgrade it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

well here's hoping for the best!