Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help with 3G 3.1 Jailbreak/unlock

Default Help with 3G 3.1 Jailbreak/unlock
    Hi,

I have the opportunity of buying a 3G currently on 3.1 baseband 05.11.07 week 32 serial number. Now being a real noob and reading so much on downgrading basebands etc I have a few questions:

1. Which jailbreak tool do you recommend?

2. To jailbreak should I do this on 3.1 or should I first upgrade to 3.1.2 etc?

3. Seeing as I want to unlock the phone do I need to downgrade the baseband, if so which tool

4. After I have jailbroken and unlocked, should I upgrade to a later OS such as 4.0, if so what are the benefits

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to buy the phone but don't want to get stuck with it if I can't unlock and jailbreak.

For iphone 3G, I don't think these is any issue at all, you can jailbreak and unlock it even with latest firmware 4.1, it will be working perfectly. Just to remind to read guide before doing any further upgrading, in case you will loss the chance to unlock later. If you want to run 4.1, breezesn0w 2.0.2 will be best tool, and you will need official SIM to activate, use ultrasn0w to unlock it if you need to. Good luck!
    Last edited by ayangch; 2010-10-14 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

For 3G, if you want speed and performance, stay at 3.1.3.
    Do a shift + Restore to 3.1.3 and jailbreak with Spiritjb.com if your Itunes is still at 9.1 or lower.
    If you have updated your Itunes above 9.1, then you want to jailbreak with Redsn0w 0.9.4 but use 3.1.2 as the firmware to jailbreak.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Ipod-Junkie (2010-10-14)

Thanks for the info I upgraded to 3.1.3 and ran spiritjb which worked a treat. I then used ultrasn0w to unlock it. It worked and the phone is now unlocked.

Thanks again
    Last edited by Ipod-Junkie; 2010-10-14 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Poor grammer