Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS (3.1.3) stuck in recovery mode /itunes 1604 error - can anyone help plz?

Default 3GS (3.1.3) stuck in recovery mode /itunes 1604 error - can anyone help plz?
    Hi,

unfortunately I'm stuck with a 3GS in recovery mode, following situation:

-3GS firmware is 3.1.3
    -no shsh backup for 3.1.2
    -shsh backed up on sauriks server for 3.1.3
    -Baseband: 05.11.07 - 6.4_M3S2
    -Bootrom Version: 359.3.2

When I got the 3GS it was already unlocked and jailbreaked before but I don't know how it was done in the first place. I guess it was originally a french iphone with simlock but I am not sure about this. Furthermore I don't have the original simcard. It was working fine for a while but suddenly (don't know what happened maybe a friend of mine who was using it messed sth up) the iphone said that no sim card was installed. After backing up shsh on sauriks server I tried to reinstall custom 3.1.3 firmware made with pwnage tool 3.1.5 which resulted in various itunes errors (16xx), meaning that the custom firmware was not installed.

After reading different guides on this topic I tried blackra1n (ok, stupid hint and stupid me *sigh)...resulting in the iphone being in recovery mode now, with no way to get out of this recovery loop so far.
    If I try to restore the 3.1.3 custom firmware or the original 3.1.3 firmware now I'm getting 1604 errors which cannot be fixed by iReb since the phone is a 3GS....

So this is where I'm stuck at the moment, googling up and down for hours now and no solution yet (at least none that fits to my problem ^^)...

So can anybody here please point me into the right direction what to do now? Any hint would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

johnny_flash

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Wait until Sunday. A new pwnagetool update will be released. That'll allow you to make a custom firmware that will update your firmware to 4.1 without updating your baseband.

The reason the custom firmware you've made now doesn't work is that your phone has the new bootrom. The new pwnagetool will use a new exploit that allows CFWs even on new bootrom phones.

If you want it working right now, you can also just restore to stock 3.1.3 using the stored SHSHs. Search for a guide on how to do that.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

johnny_flash (2010-10-13)

dhamien, thanks a lot for the quick answer..so there seems to be hope !

Waiting until Sunday should not be such a big problem.I already supposed that the new bootroom version (359.3.2) is part of the problem I'm having right now.

Another thing: I already tried restoring to stock fw 3.1.3 with the saved SHSH (with modified etc/hosts on osx) pointing to sauriks server --> error 1604 in itunes. Second try in this line was with tiny umbrella with local SHSH server on port 80 --> error 1604! Did I miss something here ? Is it possible that the SHSH saved from the already jailbrocken/unlocked CFW 3.1.3 doesn't match to stock FW 3.1.3?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_flash View Post
    dhamien, thanks a lot for the quick answer..so there seems to be hope !

Waiting until Sunday should not be such a big problem.I already supposed that the new bootroom version (359.3.2) is part of the problem I'm having right now.

Another thing: I already tried restoring to stock fw 3.1.3 with the saved SHSH (with modified etc/hosts on osx) pointing to sauriks server --> error 1604 in itunes. Second try in this line was with tiny umbrella with local SHSH server on port 80 --> error 1604! Did I miss something here ? Is it possible that the SHSH saved from the already jailbrocken/unlocked CFW 3.1.3 doesn't match to stock FW 3.1.3?
    No, they're not based on the firmware you have on your phone and whether if you're jailbroken or not. They simply fit one device on one firmware version.

Try restoring while in DFU mode. Also, redownload the stock firmware file. Mostly, 160x errors are due to restoring using custom firmwares.

By the way, when did you backup the SHSH? They're not dependent on which firmware is installed currently. All that matters is what Apple is signing so you'll need to have pushed the button in Cydia all the way back in June as that was the time when Apple stopped signing 3.1.3

By the way, when did you backup the SHSH? They're not dependent on which firmware is installed currently. All that matters is what Apple is signing so you'll need to have pushed the button in Cydia all the way back in June as that was the time when Apple stopped signing 3.1.3
    Thanks for clarifying this! Now I know why the restore of 3.1.3 won't work. I thought the signing would be based on what firmware is currently installed on the phone not on what apple is currently signing, the guides I read were not that clear at this point. Since I backed up the SHSH 2 days ago (I didn't have the phone in June) it is based on what Apple is currently signing...

Ok, thanks for your information and your patience..there's obviously no other option than to wait till sunday in my case...

Default Problem solved!
    Problem solved, thanks to PwnageTool 4.1! The 3GS is up and running and unlocked again via ultrasn0w...

Kudos and maximum respect to the guys of iphone DEV-TEAM!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_flash View Post
    Problem solved, thanks to PwnageTool 4.1! The 3GS is up and running and unlocked again via ultrasn0w...

Kudos and maximum respect to the guys of iphone DEV-TEAM!
    Good to hear