Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Few questions regarding upgrading jailbreak

Default Few questions regarding upgrading jailbreak
    Hi guys,
    I'm running 4.0.1 on my 3GS (jailbroken my jailbreakme) and I am wanting to upgrade to 4.1.

Now I've been hearing about SHSH and downloading firmwares, but is this necessary if I don't need my phone unlocked? I am using Telus (which is a carrier in Canada that has iPhones), so I do not need to unlock to another carrier. I have read that I should do the SHSH with Tiny Umbrella before restoring if I don't want to upgrade my baseband, but is baseband important if you don't have an unlocked phone?

I'm thinking I can just restore on Itunes, download 4.1, restore from backup, then do Limer4in or greenp0ison.

Thanks, clarification would be appreciated.
    Last edited by chkw94; 2010-10-13 at 06:32 AM.

how are you on 4.0.2 and jb with jailbreakme?

Sorry typo, I have 4.0.1

Cydia should be backing up your SHSH files automatically, but you can check them with tinyumbrella and make sure they are there anyway. If you had a problem and needed to restore when you were at 4.1 and 4.2 was just released then you would only be able to restore to 4.2 if you had no SHSH. It's a longer story and that, but you might as well back them up anyway it doesn't take long (note if you haven't got them already then only 4.1 is available anyway - and 4.1.1 is on the horizon so good to get 4.1 as that is going to be an untethered jailbreak).

Once done, if you just upgrade to stock 4.1 in itunes you will be able to jailbreak using either greenpois0n or limera1n.

This is what I see on TinyUmbrella:
    iPhone3GS 4.1 (8B117)-3849263907597, which matches the one shown in the log.

So I have this in backup, so am I clear to use iTunes?

Yes go for it.

Would be worth checking if you can save other versions SHSH 4.0.2 for example, if you have it then you know Cydia is already backing them up for you automatically.

Enjoy!

It has 3.13, 4.0.1, but not 4.0.2.
    But I'm pretty sure it's backing them up automatically.
    So I don't need to do anything further with SHSH and TU?

Sounds like its doing it automatically, but it's obviously missed a couple. It's worth keep using TU to ensure you keep them all and store them locally.

Theres nothing to be done before you update as you can still only get 4.1 SHSH irrespective of what firmware you are on.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

chkw94 (2010-10-13)