Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bricked or Not Bricked?

Default Bricked or Not Bricked?
    Currently can't get 3GS into DFU mode after jailbreaking/unlocking.

Restore mode (with iTunes graphic on iPhone screen) hasn't helped with PwnageTool or iTunes to write new firmware.

Here's how I got to this point:

- Apple 3.1.2 - with 5.12.1 baseband
    - jailbreakme.com - worked great
    - Used Cydia to run the blackra1n from last month and unlock
    - Everything seemed fine

- SETTINGS>GENERAL>RESET>ERASE ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS
    It started to wipe all my information and then halted and now can't boot. I can only get into a jailbroken recovery mode. DFU doesn't seem possible.

I've tried to load 3.1.2 and 4.0.1 using iTunes - error (doesn't verify w/Apple most likely)
    Tried to load 4.1 using iTunes - goes part of the way(progress bar on iPhone) but then reports a different error (hardware problems)

Tried PwnageTool 4.0.1 - says invalid ipsw when I point it to 4.0.1 apple ipsw file. I think an error occurs, but the message about the invalid ipsw isn't exactly what's stopping it.

Would love to try the DFU on this PwnageTool, however, it doens't seem like the baseband/jailbreaking I did allows for DFU.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

DFU : Hold Power + Home for 10 secs
    Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button for another 10 secs.

Default Yeah tried DFU - not happening
    So part of the reason I can't even DFU is because with USB attached to the phone, it doesn't stay off. Apple appears on screen after a few seconds even if I don't hit any buttons. No matter how long I hold power + home, it doesn't even reset a second time, just once and then restore screen. Releasing power button has no effect and so I just end up with the iTunes graphic or a black screen.

Thanks

Try using kick out of recovery from tiny umbrella.
    If that doesn't work, recovery mode is fine for restore.

Default Some Success
    So using TinyUmbrella I was able to backup a 4.1 SHSH. iTunes then failed 75% of the way when I tried a restore to 4.1. Error 29. The phone then rebooted and synced and everything with iTunes. Very unstable - 4.1 with 5.12.01 baseband. It's completely unstable and goes into recovery mode or DFU if I want it to.

So how would I get it to restore completely?

PwnageTool just says "Can't recognize .ipsw file" when I try to load 4.0.1 or 4.1 or 3.1.2.

My phone has 75% of an OS on it and I might still be unlocked from when I ran blackra1n on 3.1.2....

Thanks

Have you installed the latest Itunes which is 10.xx.x

10.x.x yes on XP and tried osx

Random Thanks Collector Richard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 549 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brickedornot View Post
    So using TinyUmbrella I was able to backup a 4.1 SHSH. iTunes then failed 75% of the way when I tried a restore to 4.1. Error 29. The phone then rebooted and synced and everything with iTunes. Very unstable - 4.1 with 5.12.01 baseband. It's completely unstable and goes into recovery mode or DFU if I want it to.

So how would I get it to restore completely?

PwnageTool just says "Can't recognize .ipsw file" when I try to load 4.0.1 or 4.1 or 3.1.2.

My phone has 75% of an OS on it and I might still be unlocked from when I ran blackra1n on 3.1.2....

The problem you have is that itunes is going through Cydia's server and thats why you only got tp 75%. of you want to do a full upgrade to 4.1 (remember you cant unlock)and then run limera1n to jailbreak you need to put a # infront of Cydia's host file (so it by passes it) then do a restore with itunes pointing it to you 4.1 firmware.

So your host file should look like #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

then restart you PC after editing your host file.

this will let apple do a full restore on your phone.

Remember to take the # away after so you can use tiny
    . I Am the Random Thanks Collector So Please Press the Thanks Button

Thanks

You do not need to edit your hosts file, Apple is still signing 4.1, if the progress bar stops at 75%, it is caused by some apps on your computer. If you have wifi sync installed, uninstall it and try again.

Random Thanks Collector Richard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 549 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    You do not need to edit your hosts file, Apple is still signing 4.1, if the progress bar stops at 75%, it is caused by some apps on your computer. If you have wifi sync installed, uninstall it and try again.
    It happened to me and editing the host file cured it ?

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Dont know if you noticed but the new Tiny that was released yesterday. Gives you the option of checking or unchecking to do a iTunes restore.

Which does exactly what i was saying to our friend that was having problems
    Last edited by Richard; 2010-10-17 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    . I Am the Random Thanks Collector So Please Press the Thanks Button