Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Noob needs help

Default Noob needs help
    I want to unlock my Iphone 3GS (new bootrom), firmware 4.1, baseband 05.14.02 and have alot of questions that need answering:

1) I should use tinyumbrella first to back up SHSH blobs right?

2)I can use limerain?

3) Would I need to use ultrasnow to unlock? as o2 are going to unlock my phone...

4) Should I wait for pwnage tool regardless of whether or not I need ultrasnow?

5) I can uninstall limerain after installing cydia and the phone will still be jailbroken?

6) After installing cydia what precautions do I need to take with regards to security? like installing myterminal to change default passwords...

7) Any precations before jailbreaking, like create a backup, switch off 3G etc?

8)Ermm...if I restore from a backup..my phone would be back to normal? or if I then updated from itunes it would be unjailbroken??

Many thanks. Need alot of answers to unconfuse myself

lol...

9) What can I do with my SHSH blobs?
    Last edited by HelpMeMod; 2010-10-13 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by HelpMeMod View Post
    I want to unlock my Iphone 3GS (new bootrom), firmware 4.1, baseband 05.14.02 and have alot of questions that need answering:

2)I can use limerain?

3) Would I need to use ultrasnow to unlock? as o2 are going to unlock my phone...

4) Should I wait for pwnage tool regardless of whether or not I need ultrasnow?

5) I can uninstall limerain after installing cydia and the phone will still be jailbroken?

6) After installing cydia what precautions do I need to take with regards to security? like installing myterminal to change default passwords...

7) Any precations before jailbreaking, like create a backup, switch off 3G etc?

8)Ermm...if I restore from a backup..my phone would be back to normal? or if I then updated from itunes it would be unjailbroken??

I am pretty sure there is no unlock for your baseband. You will have to wait until one is released.

But i can still jailbreak?

But i can still jailbreak?
    Yes

Would i still be able to use an o2 sim? and could you maybe answer some of my other questions with regards to jailbreaking?

Thanks..

No unlock yet.

EDIT: only for a PC so far.

You can use limera1n or greenpoison to jb. You can find the latest version on this site.

First download tinyumbrella and follow easy prompts to backup your shsh blobs. No worries about your baseband as you have a 3GS.

Make sure you follow the make it rain steps (easy) and then open cydia. It will then have your shsh blobs saved there to (in cydia).

The one precaution that sticks out would that you read carefully about the cydia apps you want. Make double sure they are updated to the 4.1 firmware.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SepticTank For This Useful Post:

HelpMeMod (2010-10-13)

Yh thanks.

But, if O2 unlock my phone, I dont need ultrasnow?

And I can use SHSH blobs to restore my firmware? then itunes backup for apps etc?

Yh thanks.

But, if O2 unlock my phone, I dont need ultrasnow?

And I can use SHSH blobs to restore my firmware? then itunes backup for apps etc?
    It's my understanding that there is NO unlock yet for your particular phone. You must wait for that and hopefully not that much longer.

Yes about your shsh question. You use tinyumbrella to save them in a host file on you computer. When you jb-cydia recognizes this and they are saved on cydia as well. The tinyumbrella program will even tell you what steps/processes have been run.

About the apps-ALL APPLE STORE APPs will get backed up. Cydia apps are backed up through them. Do a search for any of these and you will have no problem finding what you need.

Jon

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You can try calling O2 to see if they'll unlock your phone officially for a price. I believe Europe carriers can do so, just not sure which ones do it. As long as you're a customer to that carrier they'll do it. Then you won't need ultrasn0w.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

HelpMeMod (2010-10-13)

Thanks for all the help!

After I jailbreak, if i switch my phone off and back on, will it still work? and if new firmware comes out..will it then become tethered? and what would I do after I switch it off?

Also, how exactly would I restore my phone back to 4.1 and make it unjailbroken?
    Either update my firmware or restore the phone from a backup?
    Last edited by HelpMeMod; 2010-10-13 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

The jb isn't tethered. You restore your phone to 4.1 by holding shift and clicking restore to a stock 4.1 firmware that you download.

Random Thanks Collector Richard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 549 Posts

Yes you should do this first
    2)I can use limerain? Yes Use Limerain RC1 from Limera1n.com

3) Would I need to use ultrasnow to unlock? as o2 are going to unlock my phone...No Unlock yet for your baseband but if 02 are going to ulock for you then no need for unlock as any sim will work after they unlock it for you, And you will be fine to run your 02 card untill they do unlock it

4) Should I wait for pwnage tool regardless of whether or not I need ultrasnow? No Just run Limera1n

5) I can uninstall limerain after installing cydia and the phone will still be jailbroken?Yes but no need to ?

6) After installing cydia what precautions do I need to take with regards to security? like installing myterminal to change default passwords...I would get used to Cydia and what it can do before you even start messing with the Root files

7) Any precations before jailbreaking, like create a backup, switch off 3G etc? Back up your phone in itunes (make sure you have the latest itunes installed. Back up before Jailbreak or you will loose all you contacts and e.mail stuff

8)Ermm...if I restore from a backup..my phone would be back to normal? or if I then updated from itunes it would be unjailbroken?? No it would still be Jailbroken as long as you Restore and dont Update. Restore just puts you personal stuff back on

lol...

9) What can I do with my SHSH blobs?
    They are there so you can go back to previous firmwears, You dont need them unless everything goes wrong and you need to restore back to a previous baseband, So just back them up and keep them

Good luck and enjoy the Jailbreak
    . I Am the Random Thanks Collector So Please Press the Thanks Button

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

HelpMeMod (2010-10-13)

Thanks.

No more questions, now know what needs to be done