Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why Jailreak Solution(s) Before Unlock????

Default Why Jailreak Solution(s) Before Unlock????
    Congrats to the people that released the Jailbreak solutions over the last couple of days.

I admit I am fairly new to the iPhone world (coming recently from the Blackberry side)and am not any longer really concerned with the unlock process as I recently purchased a Apple unlocked iPhone 4 that came with iOS 4.1. However, I would think that with all the people all over the world waiting to upgrade to iOS 4.1 and subsequent and need unlocked phones on various carriers, that the community would be more interested in helping all of them with an unlock so they could once again use their phones, before jailbreaking to what seems to me simply the ability to get Apps from Cydia instead of Apple. Don't get me wrong, I have used Apps from Cydia in the past and am not condeming it, just wondering why things are evolving as they are????

Is it because the developers of the Jailbreak are also the ones supplying most of the (pay for) Apps on Cydia? Again not against this, they did the work, they should reap the profits! But if this is the case, then are the jailbreak developers actually doing it for profit, not as much as a service to the iPhone community?

Again, not being critical but curious..................

R...

MuscleNerd tweeted this morning that a carrier unlock should be released to coincide with the release of 4.2

you have to been jailbroken to unlock. jailbreak comes first, then unlock.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Big Boss - Why Jailbreak?
    Unlocking is only one item on this long list.

Right. Jailbreak is the ability tl run unsigned apps. The unlock "app" is unsigned, Therefore u must be jailbroken to run the app.

Agree, and I knew that. I still wonder why as much effort doesn't SEEM to be put into the ability to have the unlock available at the same time as the jailbreak? It just seems to make sense; oh well at least all those that need an unlock for the latest iOS/firmware etc etc now know that a unlock will soon be released for all models and that has to be a good thing!

R...

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    Right. Jailbreak is the ability tl run unsigned apps. The unlock "app" is unsigned, Therefore u must be jailbroken to run the app.

having an unlock availible with a jailbreak would mean extra work, extra work would mean a later release date. why hold off a finished product that is in high demand to wait for an unlock that takes much extra time to produce.

also, not everybody needs the unlock, many people are smart enough to preserve an unlockable baseband like me I am running 4.1 on iphone 4 with 1.59 baseband

Quote Originally Posted by Ricktye View Post
    Agree, and I knew that. I still wonder why as much effort doesn't SEEM to be put into the ability to have the unlock available at the same time as the jailbreak? It just seems to make sense; oh well at least all those that need an unlock for the latest iOS/firmware etc etc now know that a unlock will soon be released for all models and that has to be a good thing!

R...
    unlocks are harder to find and are in less demand. If you really want an unlock, I suggest you start donating to the teams putting them out. Last I checked, they do all this for free.

Did you even bother to read the original post?????? I don't need an unlock, but 100s do much more than they need Cydia Apps via jailbreak.......

I also questioned if it was really being done for "free?" Not that they don't deserve those profits for making the jailbreak; again was just wondering if this is really the reason that they don't have as much interest in unlocking. Really I thought it would just stimulate conversations/thoughts, not start "put downs" and the like! Guess I was mistaken!

R...

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    unlocks are harder to find and are in less demand. If you really want an unlock, I suggest you start donating to the teams putting them out. Last I checked, they do all this for free.

Did you even bother to read the original post?????? I don't need an unlock, but 100s do much more than they need Cydia Apps via jailbreak.......

I also questioned if it was really being done for "free?" Not that they don't deserve those profits for making the jailbreak; again was just wondering if this is really the reason that they don't have as much interest in unlocking. Really I thought it would just stimulate conversations/thoughts, not start "put downs" and the like! Guess I was mistaken!

R...
    Take a chill pill. I wasn't really referring to you specifically when I said "you" Unlocks are a little harder to do. All this is being done for free w/ optional donations. people, If you NEED an unlock, then don't buy an effin' iphone unless you're sure that you can unlock it!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

R...
    Most of the people who do the jailbreaks don't have apps in Cydia so I don't think they're simply in it for the money.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.