Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 [4.0.1 Jailbreak] to iPhone 4 [4.1 Jailbreak]

Default iPhone 4 [4.0.1 Jailbreak] to iPhone 4 [4.1 Jailbreak]
    I am currently running 4.0.1 Jailbreak (Through JailbreakMe) on my iPhone 4. I wish to Jailbreak to firmware 4.1. How would I go about doing that? Also is it safe/wise to jailbreak my iphone using Limera1n at the moment?

Yes its out in RC1 now so its ok not Beta.

back up your iphone
    download firefox.
    go to - iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download
    download Iphone 4 4.1 Software.
    downtiny umbrella - The Firmware Umbrella on the right hand side.
    open tint umbrella click on Save my SHSH this will keep your baseband
    open Itunes
    Press Shift and Restore.
    locate the 4.1 file
    click Restore.
    May come up with a Error mine did. Open Tiny Umbrella click on Kick out of recovery.
    Download limera1n limera1n remember its windows only.

when the restore is done restore from backup.
    open limera1n.
    click on make it ra1n
    go to ur phone hold and press Power button PLUS HOME... then release the power button only holding Home keep pressing untill it says Exploiting.
    then when it says done.
    it will show a ra1n drop and turn off.
    turn on your phone.
    u will see a white icon called limera1n.
    open it
    download cydia
    after installed a cydia icon will appear.
    click on limera1n again
    press that red cross by uninstall then click uninstall.
    and job done. hope this helps

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dtox2008 For This Useful Post:

Greenrabbit (2010-10-12)

wow...jailbreakme was alot easier lol

Does anyone know of a video posted that shows this?
    Last edited by JN46R4; 2010-10-11 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

do you really have to do all that with tinyumbrella if you have your SSH blobs stored on cydia?? I was just planning on backing up my iphone and restoring to 4.1. Then rejailbreaking. My blobs were saved with the previous jailbreak

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JN46R4 View Post
    wow...jailbreakme was alot easier lol

Does anyone know of a video posted that shows this?
    Jailbreakme was super simple and the first jailbreak like it since the old 1.x days. Don't expect these! They aren't that great anyway since they are easily patched by Apple, and the addition of SHSH blobs means that it's not easy to downgrade anymore.

One note though, to add to the above... when running firmwareumbrella, after requesting SHSH but before you use iTunes to restore, you should click Start TSS server. This prevents the baseband update so that you can still unlock (iP4 only).

It's really easier than you think... it sounds hard because he listed every single step regardless of how small (you should thank him for it), but most of them are pretty easy to understand when you're doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by flabyboy View Post
    do you really have to do all that with tinyumbrella if you have your SSH blobs stored on cydia?? I was just planning on backing up my iphone and restoring to 4.1. Then rejailbreaking. My blobs were saved with the previous jailbreak
    Since Apple is signing 4.1, you can upgrade through iTunes as normal and then jailbreak with limera1n. But as I mentioned before, you WILL upgrade your baseband this way, which will cause you to lose the ability to software unlock (needed to use non-official carriers).
    Last edited by z6joker9; 2010-10-11 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to z6joker9 For This Useful Post:

Greenrabbit (2010-10-12), JN46R4 (2010-10-12)

Wait I live in Canada so I purchased my iPhone factory unlocked

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Then you pretty much just upgrade through iTunes and then run limera1n, which (mostly) walks you through the steps. You can use his detailed instructions above starting with "open limera1n".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to z6joker9 For This Useful Post:

JN46R4 (2010-10-12)

So basically all I have to do is:

1)back up your iphone (Which iTunes does automatically when you sync)
    2)go to - iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download (download Iphone 4 4.1 Software.)
    3)Open iTunes
    4)Press Shift and Restore and locate the 4.1 file and click Restore.
    5)Download limera1n
    6)When the restore is done restore from backup.
    7)Open limera1n and click on make it ra1n
    8)Go to ur phone hold and press Power button PLUS HOME... then release the power button only holding Home keep pressing untill it says Exploiting.
    9)it will show a ra1n drop and turn off.
    10)turn on your phone and u will see a white icon called limera1n.
    open it

Q's:

1)How do I do step 6 and what does it do
    2)So limera1n isn't a beta or anything right, like is the current version of limera1n good enough till the next important iOS update?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Actually you don't need to worry about the first few steps. Connect phone to PC and it will say there is a new version... simply let it update your phone. iTune will automatically backup your phone, download the new firmware, upgrade the firmware, and restore your phone's settings (minus jailbreak apps* and such). Then skip to download/open limera1n and follow the instructions. I promise it's quite easy from that step. The backup/restore part is the confusing part, but since you are unlocked you can just upgrade through iTune. (Note that this isn't always the case, but for limera1n on 4.1 with factory unlocked phone, it is).

The current limera1n version is Release Candidate 1b. It's very stable. There might be future versions to patch various odd bugs but you should be a straightforward jailbreak and thus unlikely to encounter any problems. I used Beta 4 on two phones with zero problems.

*if you want to backup your jailbreak apps, you'll need something like pkgbackup from Cydia. $5 but well worth it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to z6joker9 For This Useful Post:

JN46R4 (2010-10-12)

Ok so I can just just update throught iTunes even though I on Jailbreak 4.0.1

And how does pkgbackup work because I have some jailbreak games on and I might just buy it right now.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

pkgbackup makes a backup of your jailbroken apps, the layout (if you choose) and other random stuff. I don't think it can save the app data from jailbroken apps (since they don't have a unified place that they save their info) but will automatically reinstall all of your jailbroken apps after restoring (the backup it makes is carried over through itunes when itunes restores your phone). It's come a long way since it first came out so it *might* save your game's data. Some of my jailbreak app's preferences were retained somehow, I assume by pkgbackup, but others were not.

The alternative is to write down all of your sources and downloaded cydia apps and then reinstall them one by one in cydia after the update/jailbreak.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to z6joker9 For This Useful Post:

JN46R4 (2010-10-12)

Hi guys I'm in the same boat as jn46r4, I've ip4 which is factory unlock and fw 4.0.1Jailbroken with jailbreakme, I've already save shsh with "TU" so your saying baseband is mainly save by jailbreakers to keep them unlocked to other network carriers?. Lose that and your stuffed! To unlock, my I ask what are the main reasons for up grading Fw? Unless apple add a lot of nice treats in there, meaning is it ok to stay on 4.0.1 for sometime?. Thanks anyway dtox2008 & z6joker9 you have made me understand more as jailbreakme was my first jailbreak so I'm all new to this

^ Well the point of upgrading is if you want Gamecentre or take HDR pictures and have the ability to use apps only available to 4.1.

But once again I would like to know if I can just restore my iPhone to 4.1 even though its jailbroken 4.o.1 (JailbreakMe)...Like do I just connect my iPhone to iTunes and just update to 4.1 or could that just mess my iPhone?
    Last edited by JN46R4; 2010-10-12 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JN46R4 For This Useful Post:

Greenrabbit (2010-10-12)

Quote Originally Posted by dtox2008 View Post
    open limera1n.
    click on make it ra1n
    go to ur phone hold and press Power button PLUS HOME... then release the power button only holding Home keep pressing untill it says Exploiting.
    then when it says done.
    turn on your phone.
    open it
    download cydia
    click on limera1n again
    PLEASE HELP!!! Jailbreakme was the first jailbreak i had ever done so now i am at a loss. i did everything step by step. until the Bold portion... mine said Done, then gave the pop up box saying exploit was done and to turn on the phone. HOWEVER, during that time my phone showed the apple logo and was already rebooting. it started like nothing had ever happened. i did not get the limera1n icon either. i turned my phone back off then on again. the procedure showed it had completed but my iPhone is as if i had done nothing!

Why don't you just restore it again just in case and redo the jailbreak :S

Or it may be because some people have tried the beta version and have said the same thing you have, so try the RC1

But once again I would like to know if I can just restore my iPhone to 4.1 even though its jailbroken 4.o.1 (JailbreakMe)...Like do I just connect my iPhone to iTunes and just update to 4.1 or could that just mess my iPhone?
    Last edited by JN46R4; 2010-10-12 at 02:39 AM.

Why don't you just restore it again just in case and redo the jailbreak :S

Or it may be because some people have tried the beta version and have said the same thing you have, so try the RC1

i have! like 5 times. results are still the same! "try the RC1"??? HELP, SOMEONE!?

and yes, just hook it up and update. no problem

Quote Originally Posted by dtox2008 View Post
    Yes its out in RC1 now so its ok not Beta.

back up your iphone
    download firefox.
    go to - iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download
    download Iphone 4 4.1 Software.
    downtiny umbrella - The Firmware Umbrella on the right hand side.
    open tint umbrella click on Save my SHSH this will keep your baseband
    open Itunes
    Press Shift and Restore.
    locate the 4.1 file
    click Restore.
    May come up with a Error mine did. Open Tiny Umbrella click on Kick out of recovery.
    Download limera1n limera1n remember its windows only.

open limera1n.
    click on make it ra1n
    then when it says done.
    turn on your phone.
    open it
    download cydia
    click on limera1n again
    Hi there. I'm a newbie so sorry for the questions. Does my ip4 4.1 (never been JB) have to be previously JB in order to use tiny umbrella? I want to JB my phone but after reading numerous threads ppl are recommending to have their SHSH saved or know their ECID, which I have none saved since this is my first iph4 that has never been jailbroken. Thanks in advance.

What I know of you can save your shsh by TU even if you not jailbroken, just download TU what ever version you need and press advanced options and apple then press save shsh

Now that greenp0ison is released should I stick with limera1n or get greenp0ison? which one is better and why?....Srry for asking too much questions

???

Hey I just used LimeRa1n right now and followed all the steps, but the raindroplet did not appear and everything is still the same, even tried a reboot. Can anyone help?

Used greenpois0n and would just like to say.....YOU GUYS ROCK
    Last edited by JN46R4; 2010-10-13 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hey I just used LimeRa1n right now and followed all the steps, but the raindroplet did not appear and everything is still the same, even tried a reboot. Can anyone help?
    that was the exact problem I had. It was because I was trying to do it through Windows on my Mac using VMWare Fusion. there's no way it will work

I used a freinds PC and it worked with out a hitch. Just a few hours ago too. still downloading all my JB apps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast