Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G upgrading to 4,1?

Default iPhone 3G upgrading to 4.1 preserving baseband?
    Hey,

Sorry this might be a bit of a noob question but it's not something I've paid much attention to as I was staying away from 4.1 up until now.

If I have an iPhone 3G jailbroken on 3.1.3 with redsn0w, can I use snowbreeze to custom firmware restore to 4.1 and preserve the baseband so it can be unlocked?

Also I saw a thread where someone asked how to find out which jailbreak method was used on a phone, but I can't find the thread anymore. Anyone know the answer or can point me to that thread?

Thanks
    Last edited by bellyfrog; 2010-10-12 at 01:33 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bellyfrog View Post
    Hey,

Sorry this might be a bit of a noob question but it's not something I've paid much attention to as I was staying away from 4.1 up until now.

If I have an iPhone 3G jailbroken on 3.1.3 with redsn0w, can I use snowbreeze to custom firmware restore to 4.1 and preserve the baseband so it can be unlocked?

Thanks
    Yes. You may run into a few issues, but yes its possible.

So snowbreeze definately preserves the baseband of your iPhone?

I did know the answer to this a few days ago but my brain seems to have gone fuzzy from all the limera1n stuff going on xD

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yes it does preserve the baseband. Issues may occur if you don't have an official carrier's SIM to activate cuz then you have to hacktivate with Sn0wbreeze (by selecting activate in expert mode). Heard hacktivating will cause push and YouTube issues which most can be fixed with Cydia patches. Some problems might still exist. But for the most part it will work ok.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

bellyfrog (2010-10-12)

Hey anniex, thanks for the quick response.

Well I do have a drawer full of AT&T SIM cards and a phonebook sim too so that isn't a problem.

But what your saying is, when snowbreeze asks "do you want to activate the phone?" I should in fact say no and just use one of the sim cards to activate instead? I usually press yes to this but if I have an official carrier SIM it doesn't matter?

Thanks

EDIT - also do you have any idea about the finding out which jailbreak was used in the first place? I think I JB'ed this myself with redsn0w but I can't be sure, I have like 5 phones coming through here each week it's tough to keep track of which ones are JB with which method :S

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Well if you chose to activate with Sn0wbreeze then no AT&T SIM is necessary. What I was trying to say was to not choose activate in sn0wbreeze, then restore to the custom fw, then activate with AT&T SIM in iTunes.

From googling around it seems there is no way to find out which jailbreak was used in the first place...

So I guess my only option is to restore to a stock firmware using TinyUmbrella and start again?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

It really doesn't matter which jb was used before on a 3G. You can just shift+restore to the custom fw from where you are now. You'll just need iReb to bypass any errors you receive during the restore process.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Well if you chose to activate with Sn0wbreeze then no AT&T SIM is necessary. What I was trying to say was to not choose activate in sn0wbreeze, then restore to the custom fw, then activate with AT&T SIM in iTunes.
    ehhh, that's probably technically true. But there's a whole thread on the sn0wbreeze forum dedicated to folks (like myself) who were able to activate but not restore from a backup. The only way for us to restore from a backup was to choose not to let sn0wbreeze create the activation, but to patch the lockdownd file in usr/libexec. This is supposed to allow the user to activate, but I still needed to use my AT&T sim.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    It really doesn't matter which jb was used before on a 3G. You can just shift+restore to the custom fw from where you are now. You'll just need iReb to bypass any errors you receive during the restore process.
    Isn't there an issue with trying to custom firmware restore on a phone jailbroken with Spirit/Jailbreakme?

Or is that only on 3GS?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

that's why I said it doesn't matter on a 3G.

It only affects 3GS.