Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sorry for another jb noob Q

Default Sorry for another jb noob Q
    Ok- 8gig 3GS, (late July 2010 model), never jb'd it before, 4.1 and contract with AT&T.

Too many people asking different Qs and too many different answers for those Qs.

Is my phone able to be jb'd with limerain? And if I understand this all correctly-I don't need an unlock because I'm already with Att?

Also, do I need a program to save anything? I see tiny umbrella and others?

I truly appreciate the help and again-I'm sorry for bugging the gurus here.

Jon

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

no u dont need any programs.. tiny umbrella is to assist you to get back down to a older firmware if you backed up your shsh. you should be able to jail break your 4.1 firmware if thats what your on for you 3gs.. enjoy it and no you dont need to unlock. unlocking is so folks can use with a diff carrier like Tmobile etc..

Ok so no backing up anything like blobs is necessary?

Thanks a lot for your straight forward post! It is appreciated:...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Save your 4.1 shsh blogs to Cydia via Tiny Umbrella now so when Apple stops signing 4.1, you will be able to restore to 4.1 to take advantage of the limera1n jailbreak.

Thanks Yeow, guess I need to understand tiny umbrella now.

Thank you

Ok then, so before I jb- I need to dl tiny umbrella and follow the prompts to back up my shsh files. Then once jb'd- I back up the files on cydia once dl'd.

Do I have this correct?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Dp you know how to store your 4.1 shsh blogs to Cydia even without jailbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Dp you know how to store your 4.1 shsh blogs to Cydia even without jailbreaking.

Sadly no. I've looked up as much about the jb as I could but I'm in the dark with tiny umbrella. I'm "new" to iPhones and I'm trying my best to take a crash course in the proper way to jb and back files up.

Quote Originally Posted by SepticTank View Post
    Sadly no. I've looked up as much about the jb as I could but I'm in the dark with tiny umbrella. I'm "new" to iPhones and I'm trying my best to take a crash course in the proper way to jb and back files up.

Just dl'ed the latest tinyumbrella, connect your device, it'll show you're phone. Tick advanced options and under Request From: it should say Cydia. Click Save My SHSH, it'll now save them on your comp, and if you don't have them on cydia, it should put them there aswell. You'll now have your shsh on you comp aswell, there is a link in the log window where you can find them and copy them to where ever you want. When that's done, and you've jb'ed your phone, when you open cydia, check in the top of the startpage in cydia, it should say SHSH: 4.1, that means that cydia has you shsh blobs for 4.1

Quote Originally Posted by velle View Post
    Just dl'ed the latest tinyumbrella, connect your device, it'll show you're phone. Tick advanced options and under Request From: it should say Cydia. Click Save My SHSH, it'll now save them on your comp, and if you don't have them on cydia, it should put them there aswell. You'll now have your shsh on you comp aswell, there is a link in the log window where you can find them and copy them to where ever you want. When that's done, and you've jb'ed your phone, when you open cydia, check in the top of the startpage in cydia, it should say SHSH: 4.1, that means that cydia has you shsh blobs for 4.1
    Thanks a lot for the explanation! Looks like I'm about to take the plunge the right way.

Anything I should be aware of?

So dl tiny umbrella, follow prompts to save shsh files. Then dl limerain and follow the prompts.

Sounds easy enough!

Thanks to all respondents. Good to know there are many members here that dont hesitate to help out a novice.

Jon

Don't worry too much about tiny umbrella, when you get to a jailbroken phone and open cydia for the first time just make sure you hit "make my life easier" button and saurik's server will continue to save your SHSH automatically.

There's no patching limerain anyway so you don't really need them in the first place.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

SepticTank (2010-10-13)

DL tiny umbrella from where? I can't find it on Cydia, and this is the first time I'm JB'ing this phone (iphone 4, 4.1OS) and Cydia never offered to make my life easier like it did with my 3Gs.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I had a nice long informative post typed out on my iPhone, and I hit the cancel button by mistake.

Tinyumbrella is for the PC, not in Cydia.

Please don't tell people that saving shsh blobs isn't important since the jailbreak exploit is a bootrom. There could be any number of reasons to revert back to 4.1 later. Namely, the jailbreak exploit is bootrom, but Apple will soon patch the software exploit that untethers it. Thus, 4.2 or beyond might be jailbreakable in a tethered format only (requiring a computer connection to reboot with jailbreak each time).

Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    I had a nice long informative post typed out on my iPhone, and I hit the cancel button by mistake.

Tinyumbrella is for the PC, not in Cydia.

Please don't tell people that saving shsh blobs isn't important since the jailbreak exploit is a bootrom. There could be any number of reasons to revert back to 4.1 later. Namely, the jailbreak exploit is bootrom, but Apple will soon patch the software exploit that untethers it. Thus, 4.2 or beyond might be jailbreakable in a tethered format only (requiring a computer connection to reboot with jailbreak each time).

So I still should dl tiny umbrella to be safe and save shsh on my computer in case something were to happen with phone?

Also, I don't "have" to upgrade to 4.2, do I? Wish I had previously never did 4.0.1/.2 as it was useless. Well; I did upgrade to 4.1 eventually because it's a 3GS. So the latter sentence made no sense I suppose.

I believe I've been schooled well enough to plunge and keep learning now. Please-I looked up shsh blobs and didn't find it's definition. Is it a security shell?

Quote Originally Posted by SepticTank View Post
    So I still should dl tiny umbrella to be safe and save shsh on my computer in case something were to happen with phone?

Also, I don't "have" to upgrade to 4.2, do I? Wish I had previously never did 4.0.1/.2 as it was useless. Well; I did upgrade to 4.1 eventually because it's a 3GS. So the latter sentence made no sense I suppose.

I believe I've been schooled well enough to plunge and keep learning now. Please-I looked up shsh blobs and didn't find it's definition. Is it a security shell?

Didn't say it wasn't important. Just don't worry too much especially since it matters not whether you back them up now or later. 4.2 is supposed to out in november so theres plenty of time! Cydia will do it for him and also Pwnagetool is likely going to updated such that SHSH will not be necessary, so don't be a drama queen!

I'm going to assume you didn't mean to quote me and call ME a drama queen? Hahahaha. Thanks for your information but can I get a definition of shsh blobs?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    Didn't say it wasn't important. Just don't worry too much especially since it matters not whether you back them up now or later. 4.2 is supposed to out in november so theres plenty of time! Cydia will do it for him and also Pwnagetool is likely going to updated such that SHSH will not be necessary, so don't be a drama queen!
    I'm not being a drama queen... I'm guessing you haven't been around long enough to see whole groups of people crying about not backing up their SHSH's... that's drama.

Always back them up immediately and locally. You never know. Cydia could disappear tomorrow. Cydia could stop backing up your SHSH's due to some odd error. Apple could release 4.1.1 to patch the untethered part of the jailbreak today.

And you still need your SHSH to use pwnagetool... not to mention how many people "accidently" update via iTunes and can not get back, regardless of their current jailbreak status.

Septic: To simplify it, the SHSH is a signature... a unique per device/per firmware code that Apple has to send your phone (actually iTunes I believe) before it can load a specific firmware. Apple typically only provides the signature for the newest firmware. Thus, you save them during these windows of time so that you can go back to a previous firmware should the circumstance arise. Otherwise you are stuck only ever being able to load the newest firmware at the time, which may not yet be jailbreakable.
    Last edited by z6joker9; 2010-10-11 at 07:54 PM.

I'm not being a drama queen... I'm guessing you haven't been around long enough to see whole groups of people crying about not backing up their SHSH's... that's drama.

Always back them up immediately and locally. You never know. Cydia could disappear tomorrow. Cydia could stop backing up your SHSH's due to some odd error. Apple could release 4.1.1 to patch the untethered part of the jailbreak today.

And you still need your SHSH to use pwnagetool... not to mention how many people "accidently" update via iTunes and can not get back, regardless of their current jailbreak status.

Septic: To simplify it, the SHSH is a signature... a unique per device/per firmware code that Apple has to send your phone (actually iTunes I believe) before it can load a specific firmware. Apple typically only provides the signature for the newest firmware. Thus, you save them during these windows of time so that you can go back to a previous firmware should the circumstance arise. Otherwise you are stuck only ever being able to load the newest firmware at the time, which may not yet be jailbreakable.
    Thank you very much for the explanation!!! Learning all I can here.

So step 1: download tinyumbrella and back up my firmware signatures (shsh blobs) on my PC.

Step 2: download limerain program and follow prompts (while iTunes is up and phone is plugged in).

Step 3: enter Cydia app and Make Life Easier. Then backup shsh blobs to Cydia.

I will follow the new guide on this site then.

Thanks for everyones input-you guys really are an awesome resource (and friendly to noobs also).

Jon

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yes the steps are right, you're good to go!

None of the following is really important, but it's neat to know: In step 3 you don't have to backup shsh blobs to Cydia. That is automatic if you click Make Life Easier (assuming you bring up Cydia on that device at least once during the signing time for that firmware).

Also, requesting your SHSH blobs through firmwareumbrella (using default options) automatically backs up your blobs on Cydia. It's because umbrella asks the Cydia server for the blobs... if Cydia does not have them, it requests the blobs from Apple. Thus, Apple sends them to Cydia which sends them to you/umbrella. Thus they automatically get saved on your PC and Cydia when using umbrella. It's a really neat feature saurik (cydia) and semaphore (umbrella) put together!
    Last edited by z6joker9; 2010-10-11 at 10:27 PM.

Yes the steps are right, you're good to go!

None of the following is really important, but it's neat to know: In step 3 you don't have to backup shsh blobs to Cydia. That is automatic if you click Make Life Easier (assuming you bring up Cydia on that device at least once during the signing time for that firmware).

Also, requesting your SHSH blobs through firmwareumbrella (using default options) automatically backups up your blobs on Cydia. It's because umbrella asks the Cydia server for the blobs... if Cydia does not have them, it requests the blobs from Apple. Thus, Apple sends them to Cydia which sends them to you/umbrella. Thus they automatically get saved on your PC and Cydia when using umbrella. It's a really neat feature saurik (cydia) and semaphore (umbrella) put together!
    Now that's great info!

Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast