Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Limera1n on 4.2?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Limera1n on 4.2?
    Since limera1n says it can jailbreak beyond 4.1, and being a hardware exploit and all, will 4.2 be jailbreakable upon release or are we going to have to wait for limera1n to be updated for it?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You are going too fast, when 4.2 is released, i am sure they can find another jailbreak

just hope its quicker than like this long lol HOWWWWW LONG....
    I think GP will be ready for 4.2 hopefully they will launch it the day it comes out... maybe im just dreaming... 4.2 which one 11/11/11 at 11:11.11
    hopefully bleedy iphone 5 be out by then

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You are very creative

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Greenpois0n won't be released until next summer. There's no need to release it before. It can't do anything that limera1n can't also do.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

GP is probs more stable and gives less problems
    No I think GP will come 2 - 3 days after 4.2 is out... if apple doesnt patch that code aswell...

The problem of GP is that will only be available for 4th gen devices (a lot of people are gonna scream when they wont be able to jb after an upgrade).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Greenpois0n won't be released until next summer. There's no need to release it before. It can't do anything that limera1n can't also do.
    according to the chronic dev blog GP will be released as soon as they integrate the limera1n exploit into it (and of
    course remove the SHAtter
    exploit)

"Thanks to the irresponsible antics of geohot, we will have to delay the release of greenpois0n (new ETA = as soon as possible), so that we have time to clean up his little mess and integrate the exploit he uses in limera1n into greenpois0n. This way, we can save SHAtter for future devices that may still be vulnerable to it.

We know that this is not what some people want to hear, but due to geohot needing to feed his ego (as usual) and revealing his limera1n exploit, we do not have any other responsible options."

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dtox2008 View Post
    GP is probs more stable and gives less problems
    No I think GP will come 2 - 3 days after 4.2 is out... if apple doesnt patch that code aswell...
    Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    according to the chronic dev blog GP will be released as soon as they integrate the limera1n exploit into it (and of
    course remove the SHAtter
    exploit)

"Thanks to the irresponsible antics of geohot, we will have to delay the release of greenpois0n (new ETA = as soon as possible), so that we have time to clean up his little mess and integrate the exploit he uses in limera1n into greenpois0n. This way, we can save SHAtter for future devices that may still be vulnerable to it.

We know that this is not what some people want to hear, but due to geohot needing to feed his ego (as usual) and revealing his limera1n exploit, we do not have any other responsible options."
    When I said greenpois0n, I not so obviously, meant the underlying original exploit, SHAtter. SHAtter won't be released until next summer.

However, greenpois0n with the limera1n exploit will be released as soon as it's ready. There's no reason to hold off until after the release of 4.2 or any other date. The bootrom code is unpatchable and the 2nd exploit (Comex') will be patched in 4.2 anyway so a new exploit will need to be used there in any case.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

As I understand it, GP should edit the ispw before loading it to the phone. If your phone is jailbroken, it will accept a custom ispw. Not to mention that pwnagetool should be updated as well. Thus, a jailbroken 4.1 should be able to upgrade pretty much right away, while a never before jailbroken 4.2 iPhone should allow for at least a tethered jailbreak. Apple may fix the hole right away as well, meaning new in box iPhones may not be jailbreakable until the next exploit is release.

Thanks

I'm sure 4.2 will be jailbroken. Idk, as weird as it may seem, I want geohot to stay around. Cdev has talent, more than I ever will, but sh*t! A whole team working on a jailbreak for over a month that would only jailbreak a very small portion of iDevices, not to mention motivate Apple to patch the A4 exploit mere months after the i4 release? And geohot comes in and let's his nuts hang and makes a jailbreak in a freakin day? We need the guy around.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Y'all aren't quite getting it. Limera1n is an unpatchable bootrom exploit which means it will work on all compatible devices on all future firmwares. The catch is that if you only have a bootrom exploit then it's a tethered jailbreak. Comex provided a kernel patch (iBoot exploit) to untether Limera1n. In the next firmware update they will patch iBoot and we will then have a tethered jailbreak for 4.2 until another kernal patch is discovered and paired with Limera1n.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

modbo (2010-10-12)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Okay, so the day 4.2 is released, I can use the current version of lime rain, and it will jailbreak, just be tethered?

Thanks

So this will work with beta iPad firmware

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Metroidmen View Post
    Okay, so the day 4.2 is released, I can use the current version of lime rain, and it will jailbreak, just be tethered?
    No, not necessarily. It might by chance work, but it might have to have minor updates to handle 4.2. We just don't know. What I mean is that at the very least, a tethered jailbreak for 4.2 should arrive for existing devices very quickly.

In regards to iPad's beta firmware, geohot previously said that limera1n would not work on the beta firmwares (listed it as a known bug) but he has since removed that. I'm not sure if he just took known bugs off of his webpage or if he actually allows for beta's now. I would love to upgrade to the 4.2 betas on my idevices but from what I understand, firmwareumbrella does not protect against baseband updates on iP4 4.2 yet (and not at all on iPads) and I'm not ready to update my basebands, even though I am AT&T (old basebands improve the resell values later).

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Y'all aren't quite getting it. Limera1n is an unpatchable bootrom exploit which means it will work on all compatible devices on all future firmwares. The catch is that if you only have a bootrom exploit then it's a tethered jailbreak. Comex provided a kernel patch (iBoot exploit) to untether Limera1n. In the next firmware update they will patch iBoot and we will then have a tethered jailbreak for 4.2 until another kernal patch is discovered and paired with Limera1n.
    exactly what I was going to say minus the annoying orange.

There will always be a tethered jailbreak option now. The part that needs to be figured out with each firmware release is a patch to make it untethered.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rest_easy View Post
    exactly what I was going to say minus the annoying orange.
    Yep, pretty much what I said as well... but that's his posting style, and he posts a lot. I usually skip his posts.

I would not skip his post as that was orangeducative for me and any c0lour will do.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Just a little FYI I have installed Cydia using limera1n on an iphone 4 with 4.1 and ipod touch 4.1 firmwares with no issues, however, my iphone 4 running 4.2 firmware limera1n in its current state does NOT work. I take it through the process and the limera1n logo never appears on my iphone and the app is not installed. And since I know the question will be asked I am running 4.2 on my iphone and ipad through the proper channels....apple's developer program.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr33Rocks;
    Just a little FYI I have installed Cydia using limera1n on an iphone 4 with 4.1 and ipod touch 4.1 firmwares with no issues, however, my iphone 4 running 4.2 firmware limera1n in its current state does NOT work. I take it through the process and the limera1n logo never appears on my iphone and the app is not installed. And since I know the question will be asked I am running 4.2 on my iphone and ipad through the proper channels....apple's developer program.
    Are those the 4.2 beta firmware? Because it's been stated that lime rain does not work on the 4.2 beta.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast