Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: limera1n help

Default limera1n help
    I'm in 3GS model MC. I'm on 4.0.1 and jailbreaked using jabreakme.

I have a couple of cydia apps and use ********** to only test apps then buy them (yes I really do).

I want to upgrade to 4.1 and jailbreak using the new jailbreak medium.

How do I do this without losing any cydia apps, ********** apps, normal AppStore apps, contacts and the other data.

Thanks!

Sync with itunes. Then restore to 4.1 and when your iphone is restored select "Restore from backup of XXXX iphone". Because whenever you sync your iphone with itunes, it create a backup!

Use pkgbackup for your cydia apps.

Only do this if you don't rely on an unlock though.

Issues with 3GS have now been fixed with the latest update from geohot.
    Last edited by Chilling_Silence; 2010-10-10 at 11:57 AM.

Vancouver Island, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

hello i have a iphone 3gs new bootrom just updated to 4.1 and want to jailbreak with the new limera1n. i know this isnt a place to post a new thread but i was just wondering if anyone knows how to help me..

I got a fresh restore from apple on 4.1, plugged into itunes and hit make it ra1n

then it instructs me like usual to hold power + home, then release power and continue to hold home until it says "DFU mode on my computer" and it just never says DFU mode it will just stay at "release power button" no matter if i hold the home button for over a minute. then i have to do a full restore of my iphone becuase its like trapped in DFU mode..

can someone please help me this is stupid

thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Thelongamer View Post
    hello i have a iphone 3gs new bootrom just updated to 4.1 and want to jailbreak with the new limera1n. i know this isnt a place to post a new thread but i was just wondering if anyone knows how to help me..

I got a fresh restore from apple on 4.1, plugged into itunes and hit make it ra1n

then it instructs me like usual to hold power + home, then release power and continue to hold home until it says "DFU mode on my computer" and it just never says DFU mode it will just stay at "release power button" no matter if i hold the home button for over a minute. then i have to do a full restore of my iphone becuase its like trapped in DFU mode..

can someone please help me this is stupid

thanks,
    Try this,

Close limera1n first.

Turn your phone on and hold home+power for exactly 10sec, then release the power button and keep holding home for 30sec (This guarantees you are in DFU mode).

Then run limera1n and click make it rain and it should say "In DFU mode...wait"

Thanks

alright thanks, ill give it a try and reply in a sec here. I usually have a hard time getting my iphone into DFU mode, even though i know the procedure off by heart and its extremely easy..

alright tried that and just as i guessed, it didnt go into DFU mode.. this always happens. i dont understand ive tried over 6 times and every time itunes never recognizes it and instead of the sound that you get from your computer when you plug it in every time, i get tw, short noises that are low pitched.. im assuming this is my computer not even recognizing it at all! pleaase someone help me
    Last edited by Thelongamer; 2010-10-10 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

alright thanks, ill give it a try and reply in a sec here. I usually have a hard time getting my iphone into DFU mode, even though i know the procedure off by heart and its extremely easy..

alright tried that and just as i guessed, it didnt go into DFU mode.. this always happens. i dont understand ive tried over 6 times and every time itunes never recognizes it and instead of the sound that you get from your computer when you plug it in every time, i get tw, short noises that are low pitched.. im assuming this is my computer not even recognizing it at all! pleaase someone help me
    Try a different USB port, different USB cord, different PC.

Also you could try to uninstall iTunes and related software components in the following order:

1. iTunes
    2. QuickTime
    3. Apple Software Update
    4. Apple Mobile Device Support
    5. Bonjour
    6. Apple Application Support (iTunes 9 or later)

Then reinstall itunes again.

Also, what appears on the screen when you try go into DFU mode? Is it black?

Also, you could try downloading USBview and see what shows up when you try go into DFU mode, this should show if your iphone is actually being recognised by your PC.

Thanks

alright i figured it out, turns out the problem was the usb port? I changed it up and it worked so im successfully jailbroken on 4.1 3GS with limera1n. thanks for your help man.

alright i figured it out, turns out the problem was the usb port? I changed it up and it worked so im successfully jailbroken on 4.1 3GS with limera1n. thanks for your help man.
    Thanks button??

Would be much appreciated.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chilling_Silence For This Useful Post:

Thelongamer (2010-10-17)

Default Bricked my iP4 with limera1n
    Hello,

I have an iPhone 4, and was running 4.0.1 jailbroken from jailbreakme.com. I decided to try limera1n so I would be able to upgrade to 4.1, so I backed up my phone, backed up SHSH using Umbrella, then ran limera1n...and it worked, except I realized I'd forgotten to update to 4.1 before trying limera1n. So I went to iTunes and told it to update to 4.1. It put my phone into Recovery Mode, and when the progress bar gets to 2/3, it just freezes. I'm not sure what to do. I tried putting it to DFU, and that's no help. Same problem. I would love to be able to run 4.1 jailbroken, but would be content if I could simply get it back to the way it was before it was bricked. :-(

Please advise!

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by iamb4 View Post
    Hello,

I have an iPhone 4, and was running 4.0.1 jailbroken from jailbreakme.com. I decided to try limera1n so I would be able to upgrade to 4.1, so I backed up my phone, backed up SHSH using Umbrella, then ran limera1n...and it worked, except I realized I'd forgotten to update to 4.1 before trying limera1n. So I went to iTunes and told it to update to 4.1. It put my phone into Recovery Mode, and when the progress bar gets to 2/3, it just freezes. I'm not sure what to do. I tried putting it to DFU, and that's no help. Same problem. I would love to be able to run 4.1 jailbroken, but would be content if I could simply get it back to the way it was before it was bricked. :-(

Please advise!

Thanks.
    First, try deleting the firmware which has downloaded in itunes. It is located at "CUsers\XXXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates\XXXXX".

Then try restore again, letting it re download the firmware.

If that doesn't work,

Use the Control Panel to uninstall iTunes and related software components in the following order:

1. iTunes
    2. QuickTime
    3. Apple Software Update
    4. Apple Mobile Device Support
    5. Bonjour
    6. Apple Application Support (iTunes 9 or later)

Then reinstall itunes, delete the firmware downlaoded above and try again.

Lastly, try a different USB port, USB cord, and a different computer if possible.
    If I have helped in any way, please hit the "Thanks" button