Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 4.0.1 Restore Stuck/Taking Long Time

Default 4.0.1 Restore Stuck/Taking Long Time
    I have a 3GS on 3.1.2, and am trying to upgrade to iOS 4. I downloaded 4.0.1 as I would like to JB it with jailbreakme, and did a shift+restore to do this. The TSS server on tiny umbrella is running, and it now seems as though the update/restore is stuck. On iTunes, it still says 'Restoring iPhone Software', whilst on the iPhone itself, the progress bar has not moved for some time now (around 1 hour). I know that the restore/upgrade is not meant to take so long, so what should I do?
    Is it advisable to just unplug it, cancelling it, then start the process again in recovery mode, or is there a better option?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Yes, you can unplug and your iphone will go into recovery mode. You have to end Itunes too because it is frozen.
    There is something in your computer that is causing the halt. Do you have wifi sync installed ?

Try on another pc if you have one.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-10 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Yes, you can unplug and your iphone will go into recovery mode. You have to end Itunes too because it is frozen.
    There is something in your computer that is causing the halt. Do you have wifi sync installed ?

Try on another pc if you have one.
    I do have Wi-Fi Sync, which I have now just uninstalled. I also found this link that offered a solution in re-installing iTunes:

iPhone 4 stuck while restoring to 4.0.1 using TinyUmbrella

I shall try all this now and see if it works. I assume the latest iTunes is good enough and compatible with any JB stuff, and I dont need an older version for any reason. Is that correct?

Thanks

By the way, you can also use kick out of recovery to get your iphone back to your previous version, you are still good.

Yeah, i am pretty sure, once you uninstalled Wifi Sync, your restore will work like a charm. I experienced it myself.

You can install wifi sync back later if you want.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-10 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

SeaTan (2010-10-10)

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    By the way, you can also use kick out of recovery to get your iphone back to your previous version, you are still good.

Yeah, i am pretty sure, once you uninstalled Wifi Sync, your restore will work like a charm. I experienced it myself.

You can install wifi sync back later if you want.
    Thanks, it worked.

Thanks

No problem, have a nice day

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had the same problem, ended up connecting iPhone to a different PC to get it back before I realised wi-fi sync was causing the problem. Have now removed wi-fi sync from iPhone and PC.

im having this same problem. i dont have a wifi sync

Green Apple
    Thanks

I already remove the wifi sync, but when i open the activity monitor on my mac i still see it there.
    So the question is how do i comletely remove wifi sync ?