Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GreenPois0n will NOT work on 3GS?!

Default GreenPois0n will NOT work on 3GS?!
    So after weeks and weeks of "this exploit will jailbreak >>> ALL <<< iOS devices for life!" Musclenerd tweets today that GreenPois0n is ONLY for 4th gen devices aka iTouch 4G, iPhone 4 and iPad...

So 4.0.2 3GS users are just going to be stuck then? Damn this is such a let down. I have a 4.0.2 sitting here for 2 weeks now, didn't bother getting a refund as GP was supposed to jailbreak it. Now it's a paperweight. Argh!

Source:

chpwn chpwn
    by MuscleNerd
    Please remember that SHAtter and greenpoison are /only/ possible on the fourth-gen devices: iPad, iPhone 4, and iPod touch 4G.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yes it's only for devices that have the A4 chip. It jailbreaks all iOS 4 on the new devices.

Yes but that's not what has been said for the past month while everyone has been waiting for it. Kinda silly that they didn't reveal this information earlier.

At the moment there is NO jailbreak for 4.0.2 being worked on, so any 3GS user on 4.0.2 or above is stuck indefinately.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I too was at first under the impression it would be for all devices, but logically speaking the devs did say it was an exploit for the A4 chip. This means any device that doesn't have the A4 chip is not included. Even we on MMi misinterpretted and looked over this fact and assumed it was for all devices. The devs did report that it was only for the newer devices, they just didn't outright say "only for iPhone 4, iPad, iTV, and iPod Touch 4G". They just said it's an exploit for the A4 chip.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Actually I beleive it was said a few times that it was an exploit for the A4.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Yes it's only for devices that have the A4 chip. It jailbreaks all iOS 4 on the new devices.
    This is mostly supposition. Educated supposition, but supposition nonetheless.

SHAtter's start (a large 0xA1 control message forcing a reboot) I imagine still works on the 8920/22s (3GS/iPT3G, respectively). However, the actual exploit resulting in unsigned code execution shockingly isn't there on the 3GS/iPT3G (odds are it's like the iPT2G exploit in relation to the newer devices, the hole is there, its application is such a payload can't be run through there).

One of four things could happen.

1) The bootroms of the new 3GS/iPT3G have probably been fully dumped. An entirely new, 24Kpwn-style exploit is found breaking the chain of trust in normal boot (thereby ensuring permanent untethered status until a hardware revision).

2) A new iBoot-level exploit is found, providing a tethered jailbreak for one firmware revision. (Also possible that an iBoot-level paired with a new bootrom exploit will provide an untethered exploit for one firmware).

3) A new library-based exploit is harnessed, like Star (Jailbreakme.com) and is possibly untethered. I think this option for the next 3GS jailbreak is the most likely myself; I think Comex is close to another userland break (but have no proof or reason to believe this other than instinct).

4) SHAtter or another USB/DFU mode exploit is harnessed/found for the 3GS/iPT3G. (Also possible for untethered jailbreaks in conjunction with some or all of the other options).

Hang in there, I know it's frustrating having to wait for so long having so many new jailbreaks dangled in front of you but are unable to touch them.

EDIT: There's a fifth option (rather a combination of options one and two), but it's a very, very long shot. Geohot's last unreleased exploit was a bootrom and iBoot combination that not only jailbroke an iPT3G untethered (http://wikee.iphwn.org/howto:video) but also dumped the SecuROM on the iPad in April of this year (03203A4E...011F, blog post with original keys is hidden).

Because of the nature of the videos posted and verified by the Dev Team (the video is on the official Dev-Team member-administrated blog next to Comex's initial Spirit proof, and this is George after all), I think there's yet another exploit or three to be found (or if someone can pry them from George, good luck)!
    Last edited by Orby; 2010-10-08 at 05:55 AM.

Thanks

I could have sworn I saw something on someones twitter a little while ago that Comex was working on a userland jailbreak for the other devices. But now I can't find it.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Isn't that just a rumor tho?

Well according to his twitter today Comex said that he is currently NOT working on a 3GS 4.0.2 or above jailbreak

I guess I overlooked any mention that it was for the A4 chip to be honest. I only really read their twitters for updates to the progress.

However I'm sure I saw quotes on the "Dev Team Blog" and the "Chronic Dev Blog" that said "all iOS devices". Maybe I'm mistaken.

Well it's more frustrating because I could have got a refund on this phone 2 weeks ago however I decided to wait as I was under the impression 4.0.2 3GS would be pwned by SHAtter. My own fault for not researching deeper I guess

Thanks

He's currently NOT working on a new untethered break, this is truth (https://twitter.com/comex/status/26692450979).

However, he has been working on a userland exploit to make SHAtter run untethered on iPad/i4/iPT4G, and now will probably focus full-bore on another userland JB. This is corroborated by Musclenerd (https://twitter.com/MuscleNerd/status/26714851506), he refers to the next jailbreak as a certainty as opposed to a possibility...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

Cer0 (2010-10-08)

Right your own jb if your going to complain bout free work. Ungreatful

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Please learn the English language before ******** about the things other members say.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

OP isn't being ungrateful (that would be how you spell it) he's just saying he didn't know some things about the new jb. This is a place to learn.

I've seen people mix up "their" "they're" and "there" but never "right" and "write" -.-

Thanks

Also he did say
    Quote Originally Posted by bellyfrog View Post
    My own fault for not researching deeper I guess

Back to topic please.

Also thanks Orbyorb for the info.
    Last edited by Cer0; 2010-10-08 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yes apologies if the tone of my post sounded annoyed at the developers. I have nothing but respect for the people who dedicate time and effort to this process.

It was more just disappointment and also the fact most people here didn't seem aware of this, since even the helpful posters with large post counts have been telling people on 3GS 4.0.2/4.1 they just have to wait for greenpois0n. So I thought it would be useful to bring this up for everyones awareness.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Yeah, I have heard about shatter works only on A4 chips so 3GS is excluded out.
    My spare 3GS will worth even more after the my 4.2 JB with Cfw
    Last edited by iYeow; 2011-01-15 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yeah I'm really dissapointed ipt 3g isn't jailbroken too :/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Don't worry, the JB will come , it is just a matter of time

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    I could have sworn I saw something on someones twitter a little while ago that Comex was working on a userland jailbreak for the other devices. But now I can't find it.
    Some dev did say that. I read it today. Though it was said at the same time that it wouldn't be out before 4.2 was released.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.