Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: jailbreaking a jailbroken 3g

Default jailbreaking a jailbroken 3g
    Hi
    I have a 3g jailbroken and unlocked iphone and am looking to upgrade firmware from 3.1.3 to 4? (whatever will work best)
    can it be done without any problems and will i lose the chance to unlock again
    Also what programs would i use .
    Any help would be great me as i am new to iphone modding
    Cheers

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Get Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 and iReb, both from iH8sn0w.com

Download 4.1 stock firmware from felixbruns.de

Create a custom 4.1 firmware with Sn0wbreeze by using your stock 4.1 ipsw I told you to download.

When the custom fw is created, open iTunes and set your phone into DFU mode. When the phone is OFF, hold the home button and power button until the apple logo shows, then release the power button but continue to hold home. iTunes will detect phone in recovery mode so you can release home after it picks up.

Hold shift and click restore. Choose the custom 4.1 firmware you created.

If you run into any errors during the restore, simply run iReb to bypass and continue the restore.

Edit: run Sn0wbreeze in Expert Mode and select "activate" to hactivate the phone if you don't have an official carrier's SIM card.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-10-07 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Edit: run Sn0wbreeze in Expert Mode and select "activate" to hactivate the phone if you don't have an official carrier's SIM card.
    I've heard that this sometimes results in YouTube & push not working, even after installing some patches from Cydia. OP, if this happens to you, just don't check the "activate" box and then activate it manually with an AT&T SIM and then unlock with ultrasn0w.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It does cause problems. That's why I said if you don't have an official carrier's SIM. If you don't have the SIM, you can't get in so unless you're gonna go out and buy a SIM before jb, fine. But if not, activate it. At least have a mostly functional phone while you go get a SIM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    It does cause problems. That's why I said if you don't have an official carrier's SIM. If you don't have the SIM, you can't get in so unless you're gonna go out and buy a SIM before jb, fine. But if not, activate it. At least have a mostly functional phone while you go get a SIM.
    Oops, sorry, didn't see that last part of your past. My bad.