Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Shift Restore not working with iTunes 10??

Default Shift Restore not working with iTunes 10??
    Windows XP service pack 3 user here. Ever since upgrading to iTunes 10, I cannot get "shift+restore" to work to select an alternative ispw file. It always tries to upgrade and restore. Same thing with my 3G, 3GS or 4. Worked great before the update to iTunes 10.

I tried running iTunes as Administrator, same result.

Did Apple delete the shift+restore??? Anyone have any fix for this?

Here is the error I get.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

No, that is not true. We have no problem to do the shift + restore in Itunes 10. There is something in your computer which is causing the problem.
    Do you have fingerprints scanner installed? that will cause a problem

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Joe_G (2010-10-07), timhud (2010-10-07)

Say Yeow, I did just recently enable fingerprint scanning on my Toshiba computer! I will disable it later and post back up.

Thanks for the post!

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    No, that is not true. We have no problem to do the shift + restore in Itunes 10. There is something in your computer which is causing the problem.
    Do you have fingerprints scanner installed? that will cause a problem
    Well I'll be a monkeys uncle. That worked!!!

Who would think a fingerprint scanner would have anything to do with iTunes......but that fixed it! Thanks Yeow!!
    Last edited by Joe_G; 2010-10-07 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Wow, yeow!!!! Never, ever would have guessed that.

Amazing, you just know it all lol.

Perfect example of why you are one of popular vote.
    Last edited by Cer0; 2010-10-07 at 03:59 AM.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Thanks

Thanks, Cer0

I am having the same issue. Does it matter which shift? I am currently using hte left shift and it doesn't ask me to select a firmware.

Thanks

There is something in your pc causing it if a box doesn't open up. Perhaps fingerprint Software ?

I don't think I have the same issue as you, but I am pretty sure it is user error. I am on windows vista and I am running Itunes as an administrator, but the only box that pops up is the one asking which restore back up I would like to use. I will try the right shift this time...Any suggestions on what else I can do?

i am running windows xp on a desktop with no fingerprint hardware nor software.

i am having the same issue as the other users. its an ipod 30gb 5th gen. how do i solve

Any other suggestions? My comp doesn't have fingerprint ability so that ain't it. I try the shift+restore and it brings up a box to choose a file but there is nothing in the box to choose. Do I need to search out an ispw file online? I don't know what file is currently on it nor what baseband since the phone is somewhat bricked right now.

Quote Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
    Any other suggestions? My comp doesn't have fingerprint ability so that ain't it. I try the shift+restore and it brings up a box to choose a file but there is nothing in the box to choose. Do I need to search out an ispw file online? I don't know what file is currently on it nor what baseband since the phone is somewhat bricked right now.
    You can download the appropriate ipsw you need for your device here, then point the popup box there.

iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From

Yeah I have 3 previously downloaded ones on my comp and itunes gives me an error saying none of them match what's on the phone. So I don't know which one I need for this to work.

Yeah I have 3 previously downloaded ones on my comp and itunes gives me an error saying none of them match what's on the phone. So I don't know which one I need for this to work.
    Perhaps you're trying to select an older firmware than what is on your device (thought that should work if you use Tinyumbrella).

Since you can currently jailbreak the current ipsw, 4.3.1, you could try that.

Well I am lost on where to start since I can't access the device to see what firmware it has on it. The other catch is that since this phone id used on T-Mobile, I have to be careful how much is changed so it can still be used.

Well I am lost on where to start since I can't access the device to see what firmware it has on it. The other catch is that since this phone id used on T-Mobile, I have to be careful how much is changed so it can still be used.
    Oh, yes you have to be careful. If it's an iphone 4 you don't want to go later than 4.0.1.

Can you do shift-restore and access ipsw's now?

The shift+restore works but the ispw's that I had used before, itunes is telling me are not the correct ones for this phone. This is on a 3GS.

The shift+restore works but the ispw's that I had used before, itunes is telling me are not the correct ones for this phone. This is on a 3GS.
    Shoot, I'm no expert and this problem is above my pay grade.

You might need to download an older version of iTunes? I think however it's a pain to completely delete and reinstall iTunes.

Might want to throw up a specific thread for your problem as someone else might have that problem and be able to help, but they won't see the problem buried in this thread.

Tried doing the older version of itunes but that was a bust.

Thanks for the help though.

Tried doing the older version of itunes but that was a bust.

Thanks for the help though.
    Yes downgrading iTunes is a bear I think.

What precisely does the error message say? Did you try Google searching that?

"The iphone could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast