Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading from 3.1.2 to iOS4

Default Upgrading from 3.1.2 to iOS4
    Im rather confused, and would appreciate it of someone could help me out. I currently have an iPhone 3GS on 3.1.2, jailbroken using Spirit on Windows 7. I would like to upgrade to the newest firmware, but am not sure how to do this. I would like to keep all my settings, apps and other stuff if possible, including all my jailbroken (Cydia) apps as well.*
    If so, how can I upgrade and which firmware is safe to upgrde to? I need the firmware jailbroken using Windows, and also require an untethered jailbreak, all without losing any of my stuff.*
    Can someone please advise me on this?
    Thanks so much.*

No problem.

Two questions before we start.

1. Do you have new or old bootrom?
    2. Which SHSH files do you have on store?

How to Check iPhone 3GS New Bootrom / Old Bootrom (iBoot) Version | Redmond Pie

I see from your earlier posts that you have the new bootrom. So custom firmware is out of the question. You also will not be able to get to the newest firmware. You're only option is an upgrade to 4.0 or 4.0.1 and JB with jailbreakme.com via safari.

First off, download tiny umbrella. Connect iphone and go through each version of the firmware for 3GS (in advanced options) and hit "Save SHSH".

Once you've confirmed you've got 4.0 or 4.0.1 then download the respective firmware from apple and start the TSS server in Tiny Umbrella. Put the phone in DFU mode, start itunes and do a shift+restore the standard firmware you just downloaded. Once upgraded, browse to jailbreakme.com in safari and unlock with ultrasnow in cydia.

In order to save your itunes apps, simply do a sync before you upgrade to perform a backup, and then hit "restore from backup" after you've done the upgrade to 4.0/4.0.1.

In order to save your cydia apps you'll need to write down a list of all the installed apps. When you've finished JB and unlock, you can go through all the apps you installed already and try to install them again. Some you may lose the licences for, but most pick it up from the IMEI number.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-10-06 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    No problem.

Two questions before we start.

1. Do you have new or old bootrom?
    2. Which SHSH files do you have on store?

How to Check iPhone 3GS New Bootrom / Old Bootrom (iBoot) Version | Redmond Pie

I see from your earlier posts that you have the new bootrom. So custom firmware is out of the question. You also will not be able to get to the newest firmware. You're only option is an upgrade to 4.0 or 4.0.1 and JB with jailbreakme.com via safari.

First off, download tiny umbrella. Connect iphone and go through each version of the firmware for 3GS (in advanced options) and hit "Save SHSH".

Once you've confirmed you've got 4.0 or 4.0.1 then download the respective firmware from apple and start the TSS server in Tiny Umbrella. Put the phone in DFU mode, start itunes and do a shift+restore the standard firmware you just downloaded. Once upgraded, browse to jailbreakme.com in safari and unlock with ultrasnow in cydia.

In order to save your itunes apps, simply do a sync before you upgrade to perform a backup, and then hit "restore from backup" after you've done the upgrade to 4.0/4.0.1.

In order to save your cydia apps you'll need to write down a list of all the installed apps. When you've finished JB and unlock, you can go through all the apps you installed already and try to install them again. Some you may lose the licences for, but most pick it up from the IMEI number.
    So to get this right, if I do choose to backup all settings and iTunes apps, that can be done through the regular iTunes backup. Any Cydia or jailbroken apps or tweaks (such as LockInfo, Safari Download Manager etc) downloaded not through iTunes has to be done manually. Is that correct?
    Am I also correct in saying that the SHSH blobs are not required for the actual upgrade or jailbreak, but just as a restore in case something goes wrong?

Correct on the first part, but you need SHSH files to get to 4.0.1. Go back to my post above and start instructions from "first off ........"