Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Greenposi0n jailbreak forever

Banned
    Thanks

Default Greenposi0n jailbreak forever
    Would some please explain how this greenposion jailbreak works. Apparently a hardware exploit, but how is jailbreaking and hardware related?

Thanks

something to do with the A4 chip I think from What I can understand
    Like you know the 3G always jailbreakable no matter what I take it that it will be like that...

A hardware exploit means apple can not close the hole with a firmware update. They would have to redesign the phone. So when a new firmware comes out the dev team just has to tweak the greenp0ison app the hole to gain root access is always there just like they do with pwnagetool. With a software exploit like jailbreakme apple patches the hole once the dev team releases it and they have to start over with an all new exploit and jailbreak.

iPhone? More like MyPhone CaptBojank's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think it is specific to just the a4 chip since it will be able to JB the 3GS and 3rd gen iPod touch.

Whatever it is, you can be sure the hole will be closed in the next hardware revision.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    --= Fortes fortuna adiuvat =--

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It is a tool which utilizes an exploit that takes advantage of a vulnerability found in the idevices' bootROM. Because the bootROM cannot be changed(hence the term "ROM"), Apple will not be able to simply patch the vulnerability with a firmware upgrade. In other words, all currently manufactured devices that use that bootROM would remain jailbreakable forever and there is nothing Apple could do about it.
    p0sixninja and geohot both discovered the same vulnerability, but while working seperately.
    p0sixninja and the rest of the Chronic Dev Team are working on the Green Pois0n jailbreak while the Dev Team are working on a similar tool called SHAtter.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apw100 For This Useful Post:

CaptBojank (2010-10-06), nliszka (2010-10-06)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by apw100 View Post
    It is a tool which utilizes an exploit that takes advantage of a vulnerability found in the idevices' bootROM. Because the bootROM cannot be changed(hence the term "ROM"), Apple will not be able to simply patch the vulnerability with a firmware upgrade. In other words, all currently manufactured devices that use that bootROM would remain jailbreakable forever and there is nothing Apple could do about it.
    p0sixninja and geohot both discovered the same vulnerability, but while working seperately.
    p0sixninja and the rest of the Chronic Dev Team are working on the Green Pois0n jailbreak while the Dev Team are working on a similar tool called SHAtter.
    All good, just a small note. Dev Team aren't actually doing any new tool. Greenpois0n and SHAtter are the same and they're by Chronic.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

I herd geohot is moving onto the Playstations and not the iphones. I thought greenp0ison was the code name for SHAtter.
    Either way one of them is Due out soon. Hopefully all will be good and hopefully Untethered fingers crossed wohoo..

Banned
    Thanks

So whats an untethered jailbreak?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dtox2008 View Post
    I herd geohot is moving onto the Playstations and not the iphones. I thought greenp0ison was the code name for SHAtter.
    Either way one of them is Due out soon. Hopefully all will be good and hopefully Untethered fingers crossed wohoo..
    Geohot already went into the PS3 scene then left it. SHAtter is the name of the exploit.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    All good, just a small note. Dev Team aren't actually doing any new tool. Greenpois0n and SHAtter are the same and they're by Chronic.
    the dev team is working on a pwnage tool update and i bet it will come out before greenpoisi0n the chronic dev has always been really slow in there work

Quote Originally Posted by onlinegamesnz View Post
    So whats an untethered jailbreak?
    Untethered is where you dont have to plug it up to a computer to boot it everytime you turn it off

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

No knock on any of the Dev teams, but we really need to have some fresh faces enter the jailbreaking scene.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plcrules View Post
    the dev team is working on a pwnage tool update and i bet it will come out before greenpoisi0n the chronic dev has always been really slow in there work
    Wow.. You need to educate yourself! The exploit used by pwnage tool and redsn0w and sn0wbreeze was given go the dev team by a Chronic member.. Pod2g. Thanks bai

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

dhamien (2010-10-07)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Logan80 View Post
    No knock on any of the Dev teams, but we really need to have some fresh faces enter the jailbreaking scene.
    Why?
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bchilton9 View Post
    A hardware exploit means apple can not close the hole with a firmware update. They would have to redesign the phone. So when a new firmware comes out the dev team just has to tweak the greenp0ison app the hole to gain root access is always there just like they do with pwnagetool. With a software exploit like jailbreakme apple patches the hole once the dev team releases it and they have to start over with an all new exploit and jailbreak.
    So being hardware related. Could this void your warranty?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Any jailbreak will void your warranty. But you can always restore to wipe the jailbreak if needed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onlinegamesnz View Post
    So being hardware related. Could this void your warranty?
    Any JB can void your warranty. Even though it's legal now, Apple still can say you voided it.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbeezy81 View Post
    Any JB can void your warranty. Even though it's legal now, Apple still can say you voided it.
    But what if i restore? Is there any trace?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Not enough trace that it will affect your warranty. If you ever need a replacement just restore and you will be fine.