Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help - iPhone 3G with 3.1.2 to 4.1

Default Help - iPhone 3G with 3.1.2 to 4.1
    I understand that 4.1 is now the latest OS I can put on a jailbroken/unlocked 3G. Is that correct? Right now I have 3.1.2.

Since my 3G is already jailbroken/unlocked with 3.1.2, how can I upgrade to the latest version?

Thanks in advance

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ekimzulad For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (2010-10-05)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

If your 3.1.2 is either jailbroken by Redsn0w or Blackra1n, then you can use Snowbreeze 2.0.2 to create a custom firmware of 4.1 which will be placed on your desktop and then do the Shift + Restore to it. Unlock again with Ultrasn0w.

You have to update Itunes to the latest as well.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-04 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks, did all that, got 1604 error, so I used iREB, like someone suggested. Then it looked like it loaded the new software, but then when it was done I got an error about my SIM being unsupported.

Any suggestions?

I forgot to mention, that after the custom 4.1 was restored (i assume), I don't know how to unlock it again with Ultrasn0w, since I can no longer get to Cydia or any of my apps. I can only make an emergency call.
    Last edited by ekimzulad; 2010-10-04 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ekimzulad View Post
    Thanks, did all that, got 1604 error, so I used iREB, like someone suggested. Then it looked like it loaded the new software, but then when it was done I got an error about my SIM being unsupported.

Any suggestions?

I forgot to mention, that after the custom 4.1 was restored (i assume), I don't know how to unlock it again with Ultrasn0w, since I can no longer get to Cydia or any of my apps. I can only make an emergency call.
    When you made the custom firmware, did you make sure the "Activate Phone" box was selected?

Quote Originally Posted by dotFIVE View Post
    When you made the custom firmware, did you make sure the "Activate Phone" box was selected?
    Yes

Ok, here's where I'm at. I created another custom firmware and tried again. This time I was able to boot past the Emergency calls only, and get to Cydia.

From there I downloaded Ultrasnow and unlocked my phone again. Now it recognized T-mobile again, so I can make calls.

The problem is I can't restore my backup in iTunes, I get a "backup session failed" message.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by ekimzulad; 2010-10-05 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Setup up as a new iPhone is all you can do

Ok, somehow I tried it again and it was able to synch. But all it really synched are my mp3's. It didn't synch any of my apps.

Any suggestions now? So basically it looks like 2 things are working: 1) syching to itunes 2) cannot connect to youtube

Thanks

add this repo to your source cydia.pushfix.info and install Push doctor to fix youtube

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    add this repo to your source cydia.pushfix.info and install Push doctor to fix youtube
    Can't find "Push Doctor" in Cydia, but I found 3 You Tube Fixes (1, 2, 3). I installed all those and it still doesn't work.

Found Push Doctor, but it didn't help the YouTube problem
    Last edited by ekimzulad; 2010-10-05 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Add this Smart-mobile.com/cydia and find push fix

I don't understand why your youtube is not working, I use Snowbreeze too and my youtube works.

I have a problem myself too, i uninstalled infinitedock forgot to put the Cydia icon back from dock to springboard, now my Cydia icon dissappeared, urghhh, now I have to restore again.

Quote Originally Posted by ekimzulad View Post
    Can't find "Push Doctor" in Cydia, but I found 3 You Tube Fixes (1, 2, 3). I installed all those and it still doesn't work.

Found Push Doctor, but it didn't help the YouTube problem
    If all of these don't work, I found a solution :
    When creating Snowbreeze, go Expert Mode and uncheck activate, you have to use a valid sim to activate it and then install Ultrasnow to unlock, your youtube and syncing problem will be gone.
    Apple has made it hard to hactivate on IOS 4.1.
    So now you have to create another one and restore again, sorry guys, I just found this out.
    Don't blame Snowbreeze, it is not Snowbreeze's fault, without them, we wouldn't be able to jailbreak 4.1 today.I

In fact , please donate some money to Snowbreeze for their hardwork.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-05 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 737 Posts

"Restore from Backup Session Failed"

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Setup up as a new iPhone is all you can do
    That is NOT all you can do..

and I'm hoping that some of the other members here can help..

I've been reading about a program called iPhone Backup Extractor.

Saying that as long as you have the Backup (which is failing)

It can still read the backup file and extract the info..
    But I'm not as to sure as where to load the info it extracts to get it back into iTunes & your iPhone.

I'm also reading that there might be a way to edit the info.plist file so that it just works?

Anyone care to shed some light on this for me?
    My latest theme - -

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Setting up as new isn't all you can do but it's the best thing you can do. It's not a good idea to restore from back up as it could carry over previous jb data which could cause problems.

I also believe 3.1.2 backup won't restore to 4.x and vice versa. It can be forced, I know that, but I don't recommend it.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-10-08 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Setting up as new isn't all you can do but it's the best thing you can do. It's not a good idea to restore from back up as it could carry over previous jb data which could cause problems.

I also believe 3.1.2 backup won't restore to 4.x and vice versa. It can be forced, I know that, but I don't recommend it.

Thanx for the quick reply...

but this is the only backup I have of contacts, so the entire backup isn't exactly necessary...

But extracting the contacts from the backup is.

How can it be forced?
    My latest theme - -

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

If you force the restore, it will restore everything. Not just the contacts. All I can really tell you is that if you didn't sync your contacts to a 3rd party like Microsoft Outlook or Google Contacts for example, you can't just pull your contacts from your restore backup.

I'm inclined to say you'll have to enter them again manually and back them up to a 3rd party contacts manager for future use. I can't remember what thread but someone here on MMi did write up a little guide on forcing 3.x backup to 4.x. I guess search for it if you really want to restore from back up.

Thanks

Well, I found sometimes searching on your own will heed better results...

Here's a little screenie of what this simple program CAN do for you..

Re-Incubate Labs iPhone Backup Extractor

So, now that I have an extract .vcf file of my contacts & a whole folder for all the pictures that were also in the backup.. as well as the option to extract calendar dates as well, which outlook will import and I will then be able to sync with iTunes..

Your Welcome.
    My latest theme - -

OK - I'm trying to follow these instructions and have one question. I'm currently JB on 3.1.3 with Blackra1n. I've downloaded Snowbreeze 2.0.2. Do I download a 4.1 IPSW that is custom and activated and use with Snowbreeze or should I restore to an apple 4.1 firmware (to get back to "stock") and then proceed with the JB? I don't want this old JB data problem to occur...will I loose my Cydia apps I have already installed?

Thanks

Instructions can be found here.

Jailbreak with sn0w 2.0 Guide
    My latest theme - -

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

The whole point of Sn0wbreeze is to create your own custom fw.

So you'll need a stock 4.1 ipsw so that you can use it in Sn0wbreeze to create your custom fw that you'll restore with later.

OK - having same problem is OP. Created my custome FW and selected "Activate". Did shift restore in iTunes and got the same error: The iphone could not be restored. Error 1604.

Snowbreeze states at end of creating the custome FW that you must enter Recovery mode. But the instructions don't say that - is that the problem and reason for 1604?
    Last edited by i007; 2010-10-11 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by i007 View Post
    OK - having same problem is OP. Created my custome FW and selected "Activate". Did shift restore in iTunes and got the same error: The iphone could not be restored. Error 1604.
    Yeah, I did too. It took me a couple days to find a solution.

Snowbreeze states at end of creating the custome FW that you must enter Recovery mode. But the instructions don't say that - is that the problem and reason for 1604?
    Pretty much, yep. You need to download an application called iREB from the ih8sn0w website that you got sn0wbreeze from (its possible that its integrated into sn0wbreeze itself somehow, but that's not how I did it). Run iReb and it'll tell you what you need to do. After that, try the shift + restore option on iTunes.

I still had problems after doing that though. I was able to hactivate and even unlock my 3G through Cydia and Ultrasn0w, but I wasn't able to restore my backup in iTunes. I ended up following instructions a poster came up with in ih8sn0w's forum. iH8sn0w's Forums • View topic - Hacktivation with 2.0.1, 3G & 3Gs iOS4.1 [SOLUTION] User valj has instructions half way down. I followed them as closely as I could and was able to jailbreak, unlock, and even restore my backup.

I still have a couple (apparently common) issues though. Youtube won't connect, and apparently push notifications are jacked up. I don't use push notifications that much so that doesn't really matter to me, but I really want to get Youtube working again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast