Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Help - iPhone 3G with 3.1.2 to 4.1

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by adrift98 View Post
    Yeah, I did too. It took me a couple days to find a solution.



    Pretty much, yep. You need to download an application called iREB from the ih8sn0w website that you got sn0wbreeze from (its possible that its integrated into sn0wbreeze itself somehow, but that's not how I did it). Run iReb and it'll tell you what you need to do. After that, try the shift + restore option on iTunes.

    I still had problems after doing that though. I was able to hactivate and even unlock my 3G through Cydia and Ultrasn0w, but I wasn't able to restore my backup in iTunes. I ended up following instructions a poster came up with in ih8sn0w's forum. iH8sn0w's Forums • View topic - Hacktivation with 2.0.1, 3G & 3Gs iOS4.1 [SOLUTION] User valj has instructions half way down. I followed them as closely as I could and was able to jailbreak, unlock, and even restore my backup.

    I still have a couple (apparently common) issues though. Youtube won't connect, and apparently push notifications are jacked up. I don't use push notifications that much so that doesn't really matter to me, but I really want to get Youtube working again.
    Did you try Push Doctor?

    I've tried both mechanisms of hacktivation: through PwnageTool 4.0.1 and via the lockdownd method and still have the restoring backup "session start" issues. Argh. Still not clear whether its related to activation, PwnageTool itself or some Mac sync issue that's been around for a while as some claim.

    I guess if the next release of PwnageTool still doesn't fix that, I'll just suck it up and piece meal restore by using one of the iPhone Backup Extractor tools. Won't that be fun.

  2. #22
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Apple has sort of patched up the hole for hacitvation on IOS 4.1, you can hactivate it if you don't mind having syncing problems and YouTube not connecting. It is your choice.

  3. #23
    So far, the best thing we can do is to recook the customer firmware without select "activate phone", and get an official SIM card to activate your phone, then you can go without any issue (backup restore and YouTube problems will be gone)

  4. #24
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    lost in middle america
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Apple has sort of patched up the hole for hacitvation on IOS 4.1, you can hactivate it if you don't mind having syncing problems and YouTube not connecting. It is your choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by ayangch View Post
    So far, the best thing we can do is to recook the customer firmware without select "activate phone", and get an official SIM card to activate your phone, then you can go without any issue (backup restore and YouTube problems will be gone)
    Yep, this was the solution yeow202 offered me in another thread and it works. When I tried the sn0wbreeze solution the first time I did so with my T-Mobile sim inserted. I was able to activate, unlock, and restore my phone from a backup (by patching a file per the sn0wbreeze forum), but was having issues with Youtube and backing up my phone after the fact. Yeow202 mentioned using an AT&T sim to activate, and I did this by simply keeping the AT&T sim in during the whole sn0wbreeze process. After restoring with the sn0wbreeze cooked 4.1 my phone was still telling me that it was in the process of activation, but never seemed to do so. I was still able to unlock the phone using Ultrasn0w via Cydia, and once I restarted the phone with my T-Mobile sim in the phone seemed fully activated and unlocked. Later that day I took my phone to another PC I had backed my phone on and was able to restore without issue.

    Everything is apparently running perfectly now.
    Last edited by adrift98; 2010-10-15 at 03:14 PM.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by adrift98 View Post
    Yep, this was the solution yeow202 offered me in another thread and it works. When I tried the sn0wbreeze solution the first time I did so with my T-Mobile sim inserted. I was able to activate, unlock, and restore my phone from a backup (by patching a file per the sn0wbreeze forum), but was having issues with Youtube and backing up my phone after the fact. Yeow202 mentioned using an AT&T sim to activate, and I did this by simply keeping the AT&T sim in during the whole sn0wbreeze process. After restoring with the sn0wbreeze cooked 4.1 my phone was still telling me that it was in the process of activation, but never seemed to do so. I was still able to unlock the phone using Ultrasn0w via Cydia, and once I restarted the phone with my T-Mobile sim in the phone seemed fully activated and unlocked. Later that day I took my phone to another PC I had backed my phone on and was able to restore without issue.

    Everything is apparently running perfectly now.
    Are you referring to the lockdownd patch or something else?

    I've never been able to restore from a backup going to 4.1. Tried 3 it times already with varying hacktivation methods and get the "session cannot be started" problem each time. Tried on different Macs too.

    I guess I'll have to spring for an unactivated sim card and give that a try. At this point I may just wait for the 4.2 release.

  6. #26
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    lost in middle america
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eelpout View Post
    Are you referring to the lockdownd patch or something else?
    Yes. I've actually restored to 4.1 three times. Initially I just activated via sn0wbreeze. If I remember correctly, this seemed to work at first but I couldn't restore my phone from my backup. Not sure if I could even sync the iphone, and I probably had issues with Youtube and push notifications at this point.

    Then I restored using the lockdownd patch. From what I understand the lockdownd patch activates the phone without the need of hactivating via Sn0wbreeze. This allowed me to restore my phone from a backup, but Youtube was broken, and then, when I went to back my phone up on another computer I noticed I was unable to (received the "session cannot be started" error).

    Finally, I followed yeow's simple instructions by activating with an AT&T sim (actually, I sort of deviated by keeping my unactivated AT&T sim in during the whole process). After the restore and while the AT&T sim was still in the phone, it kept bugging me with a prompt telling me that it was "activating, this may take awhile" (or something to that effect). I ignored the prompt, unlocked the phone with Ultrasn0w, restarted with my active T-mobile sim, and bada-bing-bada-boom hactivated, jailbroken, unlocked iPhone running iOS 4.1 with through T-Mobile. Everything works, and is running better than ever.

    I've never been able to restore from a backup going to 4.1. Tried 3 it times already with varying hacktivation methods and get the "session cannot be started" problem each time. Tried on different Macs too.
    I have a Mac, but have been activating on PCs. I was having issues with one PC where I couldn't get iREB to run (think it had something to do with registration issues). Not sure if using a PC rather than a Mac would make a difference, but never know.

    I guess I'll have to spring for an unactivated sim card and give that a try. At this point I may just wait for the 4.2 release. :
    You don't have an unactived AT&T card? I'm thinking you could borrow a sim card from someone who had an AT&T phone and that would maybe do the trick...

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by adrift98 View Post

    You don't have an unactived AT&T card? I'm thinking you could borrow a sim card from someone who had an AT&T phone and that would maybe do the trick...
    Surprisingly no. My 3G, bought used, didn't come with one and I've just been able to hacktivate on T-Mobile. Everyone I know uses T-Mobile or Verizon.
    I ordered a card so will try it out when it arrives.

  8. #28
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    lost in middle america
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eelpout View Post
    Surprisingly no. My 3G, bought used, didn't come with one and I've just been able to hacktivate on T-Mobile. Everyone I know uses T-Mobile or Verizon.
    I ordered a card so will try it out when it arrives.
    Ah, that sucks. Well I hope everything works out for you.

  9. #29
    FYI. the new 4.1 PwnageTool was released by the Dev Team today and it addressed all my issues. No original sim necessary. Nice to finally be unlocked and on 4.1.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by eelpout View Post
    FYI. the new 4.1 PwnageTool was released by the Dev Team today and it addressed all my issues. No original sim necessary. Nice to finally be unlocked and on 4.1.
    Did you try it? Im having the same problem with backup and youtube after i jailbroke,activated, and unlocked using PwnageTool 4.0.1 with 4.1 bundle and sn0wbreez. Creating a new 4.1 custom firmware using PT 4.1 will solve these problems??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •