Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Want to Upgrade to 4.2? Here's how to do it FREE

Default Want to Upgrade to 4.2? Here's how to do it FREE
    So, you wan't to upgrade to iOs 4.2 for whatever reason. Personally, I just bought my iPad and was stuck at 3.2.2. I figured why not give it a try. I paid for a dev to add my UDID and after a little waiting I got the confimation that I had been added. But after some research I found that Apple will let you update for free. Here's how..

First obtain the correct ISPW for your device. Then open iTunes and connect your iDevice. Instead of using option + restore (or shift + resore for windows) like you would normally. Click OPTION + UPDATE. Then select the appropriate fimware file.

Remember OPTION + UPDATE

No paypal, no waiting, and you dont have to add your apps again your device will be just like it was on the prior fimware.

Spread the word and have fun on 4.2

Please click "THANKS" below if this helps you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Your device will be unjailbroken and locked at 4.2 and you wished you had not done it

I couldn't jailbreak my iPad on 3.2.2 anyway could I? This is for people who are in the same situation I was. And as long as your shsh's are saved you can always downgrade. I'm loving 4.2 on my iPad.

Besides, the next JB is a bootrom exploit, so it can't be patched with a software update. The way I see it is it's totally safe for the person that wants to experiment.
    If I helped you in any way please click the THANKS! button below.

Even if you just want to click it for fun, go ahead, have fun.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You can downgrade with shsh blogs to use the iboot exploit and then do the JB but what if there is no new unlock for the iPad 3G, then you will be waiting for a new unlock again if the 4.2 has a BB change.

I just wanted to clarify a few things for anybody who might want to read this thread.

If you rely on an unlock don't use beta firmware. Of course you should already know this. If you know how to find and use the tools to unlock, you have enough common sense to know that you have to wait for the new tools to unlock again.

The iPad is unlocked out of the box. iPads don't rely on an unlock so if a jailbreak is not such a big deal and you want to test beta firmware it is safe to do.

You can downgrade at anytime to the current firmware. No need to have your SHSH BLOBS backed up. If you want to restore to a firmware Apple is not currently signing, you must have your SHSH BLOBS backed up. Tiny umbrella is an amazing tool. If you don't have it get it.

The exploit used in Greenpois0n and Limera1n is a BOOTROM expliot. This is only patchable by a hardware change. So if you own a device that uses this JB you are now able to Jailbreak forever.

iBoot exploits are patchable with software. An example of an iBoot exploit is Spirit. If you rely on a userland exploit, such as Jailbreakme or Spirit, don't update to beta firmware without your SHSH BLOBS backed up.

I personally have updated to 4.2 beta 3 and downgraded to 3.2.2 without a problem. This is no big deal for the average Jailbreaker. I tried 3.2.2 and jailbroke it and I didn't like it near as much as 4.2. I am actually now going back to 4.2, so I can confirm your device will not be locked at 4.2 forever.

I just wanted to contribute a little knowledge to the community. I hope all the information I have provided is 100% accurate. If it is not please let me know so I can make changes. I don't want anyone looking for help to read this and get bad information. I also want to thank everyone here for their contributions. I wouldn't know half of what I know now if it wasn't for others past experience.