Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Ver 4.0.1 Australia Telstra 3G To Jailbreak or not?

Default iPhone 4 Ver 4.0.1 Australia Telstra 3G To Jailbreak or not?
    Ok I have read numerous threads and I,m still a Noob...
    I have some questions....I have not seen a thorough walkthru for iPhone 4 Ver 4.0.1 (well I kinda have but still not sure)

1.Is JailbreakMe2.0 the best and only way to JB iPhone 4 Ver 4.0.1?
    2.When I do Jailbreak I know I get Cydia...what is the first thing I should do? Back up my SHSH Blobs...if Yes is it an automated process? Then do I "fix" PDF exploit next... And does FACE TIme and MMS now work?
    3. If I want to unjaibreak my phone after doing the above ...can I restore from iTunes with the latest backup I had prejailbreak?
    If yes...will iTunes also try and load the latest FW 4.1 to my phone after restoring? Or will it restore and keep intact Ver 4.0.1.? Or is it more difficult than a restore...
    Had more questions but dont want to hassle you.....Thanks in advance

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Jailbreakme is the only method to jailbreak iP4 on 4.0.1.

You couldve saved your SHSHs already without being jb. You do so with TinyUmbrella.

If you want to remove the jb, yes a restore will do that. Without SHSHs for a certain fw, iTunes will force it up to 4.1.

SHSHs have time frames, right now only 4.1 is being signed so that's the only SHSHs you can save. It's too late for 4.0.2 and below to be saved.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

francisford (2010-10-03)

So I can't save my SHSH blobs this means if I wish to re jailbreak I can't ..... @ 4.0.1

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by francisford View Post
    So I can't save my SHSH blobs this means if I wish to re jailbreak I can't ..... @ 4.0.1
    Your shsh blogs will be saved at the time of jailbreak when apple is signing the firmware, if you jailbreak your 4.0.1 and apple has stop signing 4.0.1 and is only signing 4.1, then you only have 4.1 shsh blogs. If your iphone crashes, you cannot restore to 4.0.1 anymore, you can only do it once and that is it.
    My suggestion is before the new jailbreak for 4.1 comes out, you should install minimum Cydia apps to avoid crashing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

francisford (2010-10-03)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Don't forget to back up your 4.1 SHSHs for future use. Too many people make the mistake of thinking the SHSHs aren't important and neglect to save them and regret it in the future.

So grab TinyUmbrella and save your 4.1 SHSHs while you still can.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

francisford (2010-10-03)

Thank you very much I am just starting to understand the situation ...hmm too bad I was not quick in understanding backing up the SHSH blobs 4.0.1 when I had the chance...Dead giveaway for a NOob I only got the iPhone4 about a month ago and seen JB's ....I have some real reasons to JB but was afraid as its my only work phone...did not wish to brick it.(which I know is unlikely).

So even if its not JB'd I can use tiny umbrella to back up the SHSH blobs and save it for a rainy day LOL...

Typical of Apple to adopt a micro sim card so if in the event of a total bricking I would not be able to take the sim out and place in a "normal" phone.. .But now seen micro sim adapters about...if I had know this would have JB'd sooner...

Thanks again Anniex423 I appreciate the advice!!

Thanks

Yes, you can use tiny umbrellla to save your 4.1 shsh blogs to Cydia without jailbreaking it for future restore when apple has stopped signing 4.1.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

francisford (2010-10-04)

I know this crazy but I am not desperate to Jb straight away... Should I wait for 4.1 jb?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by francisford View Post
    I know this crazy but I am not desperate to Jb straight away... Should I wait for 4.1 jb?
    Yes, once you have saved your 4.1 shsh , you can always restore to 4.1 when the jailbreak comes out.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

francisford (2010-10-05)