Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading 3GS

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Upgrading 3GS
    I currently own a JB + Unlocked 16GB 3GS running 3.1.3 with baseband 5.12.01

I have been attempting to update to 4.0.1, but have failed miserably.

When I open Cydia it shows on the top SHSH 4.1, whatever that means. However, I keep hearing about all this SHSH stuff, so I figured I'd throw it out there.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is either restore the phone to 3.1.3 [Do a complete wipe of the device, start fresh], but honestly, I'd really rather update to 4.0.1 and then proceed with JB and unlock.

Any help would be appreciated...

The only way to do an update if you only have SHSH blobs from 4.1 is to do a custom firmware update.

Depending what method you used to jailbreak you either need to use spirit2pwn or jbme2pwn and then use snowbreeze/pwnagetool to cook up the custom firmware or if your 3.1.3 is jailbroken with redsn0w you can just go straight to the snowbreeze restore process.

I think you need to be on the old bootrom to do this though. Use f0recast to check, at iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones

Guide for snowbreeze 4.0 jailbreak here: Jailbreak iOS 4 with Sn0wbreeze [Custom Firmware Windows] | Redmond Pie

(Not sure if 4.0.1 is possible)

Quote Originally Posted by bellyfrog View Post
    The only way to do an update if you only have SHSH blobs from 4.1 is to do a custom firmware update.

Depending what method you used to jailbreak you either need to use spirit2pwn or jbme2pwn and then use snowbreeze/pwnagetool to cook up the custom firmware or if your 3.1.3 is jailbroken with redsn0w you can just go straight to the snowbreeze restore process.

I think you need to be on the old bootrom to do this though. Use f0recast to check, at iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones

Guide for snowbreeze 4.0 jailbreak here: Jailbreak iOS 4 with Sn0wbreeze [Custom Firmware Windows] | Redmond Pie

(Not sure if 4.0.1 is possible)
    i have a 3gs 3.1.3 with baseband 5.12.01 jb'd with spirit. i want to upgrade but also be able to jb it. any suggestions?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well here is what forecast said:

Baseband: 5.12.01
    Bootloader: 6.4
    Model: MB716

Jailbreakable: Yes with Spirit or JBme
    Unlockable: Already unlocked

I jailbroke 3.1.3 with jailbreakme.com

Which iOS 4 version would I have to cook up a custom FW for? 4.1?

And P.S. Wouldn't a custom FW still make iTunes check back to base to allow the update?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You won't need SHSHs blobs to restore to a custom fw. You'll need the blobs only if you need to downgrade and jb with a non-userland jb to access capability to utilize custom firmwares. This only applies to old boot iPhone 3GS. New boot phones cannot use custom firmwares.

If you jb with jailbreakme on 3.1.3, you'll need to install jbme2pwn. Then you can create a custom firmware for 4.1 with Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 to shift+restore to.

You'll need the old boot to do this. If you have the new boot, don't you dare install jbme2pwn or else you'll permanently brick your phone. You'll brick it and never be able to use it again.

How to Check iPhone 3GS New Bootrom / Old Bootrom (iBoot) Version | Redmond Pie

Check your bootrom version here, 359.3 is old boot and 359.3.2 is new boot.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-10-02 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

When I ran Sn0wbreeze, it told me to download spirit2pwn or something of the sort, which I did. It said to use the other one only if I was on 3.1.2, which I'm not.

I'm trying to cook up a 4.0.1 FW because I am a little afraid of 4.1. I had a 3GS with the 4.1 FW and it had the new baseband, which was not unlockable. And I require the unlock.

This is all such a hassle, lol.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

If you use Sn0wbreeze the baseband is preserved and still unlockable

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Soooo, now my 3GS won't turn on. It is stuck in DFU mode...

Any ideas?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yes, did you check the boot version? Cuz you know you can brick your phone if you don't have the old boot.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes, turns out I had the new bootrom. I tried everything I could find on the net to fix it, and nothing worked. I had no other choice but to restore to 4.1 through iTunes which = new baseband.

At least it works now. But, where can I go from here? I can't JB or unlock, I think...

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

That's why I told you to check your bootrom first.

Consider yourself lucky. There have been people installing spirit2pwn on new boot 3GS and they have permanent bricks, like unusable phones.

You can't jb or unlock right now, but I'm glad your phone survived at least.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

neuroticdave (2010-10-03)

How does one check the bootrom? I check some website regarding this and the method I read didn't work. I'm thinking that I have the old bootrom since I was able to unlock my phone with blackra1n when it first came out a year ago.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

What is your first 5 serial number starting from the left?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Curious D (2010-10-04)

Thanks for the help.

Thanks

Cool, since your iphone has been jailbroken by blackra1n, you meet the requirement to use custom firmware. This is what you have to do.
    Download Snowbreeze 2.0.2 and download the 3gs 4.1 ipsw
    Build your custom firmware and it will be placed on your desktop.
    Put your iphone into recvoery mode first.
    Do the Shift + Restore to custom firmware of 4.1 ipsw.
    Once restored , you are already jailbroken
    Unlock again with Ultrasn0w.
    Done.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Curious D (2010-10-04)

Thanks. That's what I thought. I'm really interested in jailbreaking only. I have already jailbroken with Sn0wbreeze 3.1.3. I have run into a few problems with this jailbreak and I was wondering if you might look at this thread:

http://modmyi.com/forums/other-metho...ing-4-1-a.html

I don't want to hijack this thread for my questions. Thanks for the help.

Thanks

I have replied to your other post, you are good to use Snowbreeze.