Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3gs 3.1.3 penaged to 4.1?

Default 3gs 3.1.3 penaged to 4.1?
    Have done some reading, but couldn't see anything concrete, an te SHAtter release looks like it's more geared to the iPhone 4/ new bootrom 3gs (I think)..anyways, just wondering what my options are...
    I have a 3gs, old bootrom, carrier unlocked, currently running 3.1.3 via pwnage tool*(and have been jailbroken since day one 3.x.x - pwnage or redsnow osx). Blobs all saved in cydia etc...what are my options to get to 4.1? I use a mac, but can boot into windows if needed also... Thanks in advance! *

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Since you can get hold of a pc, download Snowbreeze 2.0.2 and build your 4.1 custom firmware and do the shift + restore to Snowbreeze_4.1_.ipsw. It works flawlessly on the 3gs. If it is factory unlocked , then you should unchecked the activate iphone when creating CFW.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

sim888 (2010-10-02)

Thanks for the info...so it's basically like the pwnge tool then? Is it possible to build the custom FW in snowbreeze, but do the actual restoring on the mac instead?

Thanks

Oh yes, once built, it will be in ipsw format. You know what make .ipsw being recognize at is intended to be, ITunes. If you don't install iTunes and you put a file in .ipsw format, your pc does not know what it is.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

sim888 (2010-10-02)

yeah, my pc is more a server than anything else, no monitor/keyboard, so all will be done through vnc...so if i can do the restore through the mac, happy days - wasn't sure if snowbreeze did anything tricky, where the phone had to be plugged into to the same computer, itunes on the same computer etc etc... thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by sim888 View Post
    Have done some reading, but couldn't see anything concrete, an te SHAtter release looks like it's more geared to the iPhone 4/ new bootrom 3gs (I think)..anyways, just wondering what my options are...
    I have a 3gs, old bootrom, carrier unlocked, currently running 3.1.3 via pwnage tool*(and have been jailbroken since day one 3.x.x - pwnage or redsnow osx). Blobs all saved in cydia etc...what are my options to get to 4.1? I use a mac, but can boot into windows if needed also... Thanks in advance! *
    Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Since you can get hold of a pc, download Snowbreeze 2.0.2 and build your 4.1 custom firmware and do the shift + restore to Snowbreeze_4.1_.ipsw. It works flawlessly on the 3gs. If it is factory unlocked , then you should unchecked the activate iphone when creating CFW.
    im basically the same...3gs on 3.1.3 but with 5.12.01 baseband and jailbroken with spirit, and on cydia the shsh shows 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, and 4.0.2. can the snowbreeze create a custom for me? and is it gonna b jailbreakable? and what about my pics , contact, etc? will i have to load from backup after? and will itunes allow me to?
    Last edited by narts; 2010-10-02 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by narts View Post
    im basically the same...3gs on 3.1.3 but with 5.12.01 baseband and jailbroken with spirit, and on cydia the shsh shows 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, and 4.0.2. can the snowbreeze create a custom for me? and is it gonna b jailbreakable? and what about my pics , contact, etc? will i have to load from backup after? and will itunes allow me to?
    Since you don't have 3.1.2 shsh blogs, you will have to do it the hard way. Don't use Spriti2pwn from Cydia, it won't work.

out of curiosity, how come narts is in a different boat, in terms of going from 3.1.3 to 4.1 with a snowbreeze CVW?

Thanks

Nart uses Spirit and is not compatible with custom firmware if he has the oldbootrom, if you use the spirit2pwn from Cydia repo, it will screw it up. The only way to get around is to create a custom fw 3.1.3 and copy some files to the iphone thru Winscp and then copy the Spirit2pwn.zip files to the phone too, then execute some commands to make it compatible to restore to custom fw.

If you have 3.1.2 shsh blogs, you can restore to 3.1.2 and jailbreak with Redsn0w or Blackra1n in preparation for Snowbreeze custom restore.

aaah ok, so if i get this right (incase any mates want me to update their's - and me not wanting to f' it up of course!) If you JB'd with any of these; Blackra1n | redsn0w | pwnage tool (CFW) its ok to proceed with the snowbreeze CFW method?

For example, say the first time you JB'd was with 3.1.2 with redsnow or 3.1.3 via pwnage CFW, you wouldn't necessarily need the your blobs (unless you wanted to roll back of course!)?
    Comforting to me as i have 3.1 to 4.1 on file

Thanks

Remember only for oldbootrom.
    I would say if you want to flash ur baseband again at 3.1.2, then I would restore to it again, otherwise I would stay with custom firmware at all times. You can restore again and again without the need of shsh blogs.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

sim888 (2010-10-04)

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Nart uses Spirit and is not compatible with custom firmware if he has the oldbootrom, if you use the spirit2pwn from Cydia repo, it will screw it up.
    Yeow,

Would you mind explaining this further? Why does spirit2pwn screw up Nart's spirit jailbroken phone? Woowiz repo right?

I've done 6 phones with spirit2pwn now, each one went flawlessly.

Thanks

Ben

UPDATE: Just notice that you have done a typo. You mention old bootrom, but I see from narts other posts he actually has new bootrom - hence why he'll screw up his phone.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-10-04 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Westonben, really you applied Spirit2pwn right from the woowiz repo and it works on old bootrom. Good for you then.
    Many have bricked their iphones this way but luckily they could revived back by draining the battery completely. To be on the safe side, i always advise them to manually apply the spirit2pwn method, just a safer way to go if they are tech savvy.

Seriously done it at least 6 times. Not a problem. Probably if people are having problems it's because they don't have the right iPhone/jailbreak situation. I've also talked a lot of people through applying it and no one has had a problem.

I've had no experience with jbme2pwn though.

Thanks

Dhamien told me about the jbme2pwn too but I didn't advise anyone on that fearing it might brick their iphone and then blame me for screwing up.
    Hey, have you tried heywire, text like crazy for free, you do get a new number and you can text internationally for free. I have a number, if you do get one, text ...
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-04 at 09:40 PM.