Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: os upgrade with jailbreak available?

Default os upgrade with jailbreak available?
    hello. i have a 3gs and im on 3.1.3 firmaware with the new bootrom. i jailbroke it using spirit. i want to upgrade my os. itunes says there is 4.1 available but i dont want to upgrade to that because im not sure theres a jailbreak for it yet. can anyone help me and tell me what os i can upgrade to that has a jailbreak? and maybe instruct me and give me a download for that os? i also heard that the os 4.0 was slowing down the 3g iphones or something like that. if theres a new firmware that has no bugs in it and is jailbreakable, can anyone give me that link and how to jailbreak it using what jb. thanx.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

The lag for 3g has been fixed by ios 4.1. 3GS has no problem on IOS 4.xx, but for new bootrom, there is no jailbreak at iOS 4.1 yet. There is a jailbreak for iOS 4.0 and 4.0.1. You do need shsh blogs in order to restore to those version as Apple has stopped signing this firmware. If you the shsh blogs which can be checked on the front page of Cydia.
    Then edit your host file with Notepad and add only this line to the very bottom. It will look like this :

#74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
    #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    save it and reboot your pc.
    Now Do the Shift + Restore to 4.0.1 ipsw which you have to download as well.

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    The lag for 3g has been fixed by ios 4.1. 3GS has no problem on IOS 4.xx, but for new bootrom, there is no jailbreak at iOS 4.1 yet. There is a jailbreak for iOS 4.0 and 4.0.1. You do need shsh blogs in order to restore to those version as Apple has stopped signing this firmware. If you the shsh blogs which can be checked on the front page of Cydia.
    Then edit your host file with Notepad and add only this line to the very bottom. It will look like this :

#74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
    #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    save it and reboot your pc.
    Now Do the Shift + Restore to 4.0.1 ipsw which you have to download as well.

ok im kinda new to the ssh thing and i never did a firmware upgrade on my own. i only used to upgrade through itunes. can u or anyone guide me step by step? and also ive read somewhere that upgrading firmware if it was jailbroken by spirit, theres a certain jb or it cant jb'n or something like that. i want to make sure i cover all grounds befor attemptin to upgrade. beacause i went tru a big headache when i was on 3.1.2 n it was boot loopin. i paniced and restored only to find out it had to install 3.1.3 and i had a long wait till a jb was ,made for it. and the first spirit jb i lost my camera roll and had to restore again and download the patched up jb for spirit. that whole process took me about 6 hrs. so if anyone is kind enuff to guide me step by step, id really appreciate it. thanx

Quote Originally Posted by narts View Post
    ok im kinda new to the ssh thing and i never did a firmware upgrade on my own. i only used to upgrade through itunes. can u or anyone guide me step by step? and also ive read somewhere that upgrading firmware if it was jailbroken by spirit, theres a certain jb or it cant jb'n or something like that. i want to make sure i cover all grounds befor attemptin to upgrade. beacause i went tru a big headache when i was on 3.1.2 n it was boot loopin. i paniced and restored only to find out it had to install 3.1.3 and i had a long wait till a jb was ,made for it. and the first spirit jb i lost my camera roll and had to restore again and download the patched up jb for spirit. that whole process took me about 6 hrs. so if anyone is kind enuff to guide me step by step, id really appreciate it. thanx

ok on cydia, in green letters, it has shsh: ios 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2. now whats next?
    Last edited by narts; 2010-10-02 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost