Results 1 to 10 of 10

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Nightmare purchase from Ebay.....no wifi service on firmware 05.13.04

  1. #1
    Default Nightmare purchase from Ebay.....no wifi service on firmware 05.13.04
    Okay, before anyone gets on to me about purchasing from Ebay, Yes, we might be stupid but I'm sure this is a common problem that still needs addressing.

    And even if you are covered by Ebay buying and selling resolutions, it's still a long and arduous process and you are still without a phone until it's resolved. But anyway getting on with the problem with this phone.

    It was advertised as a 3G 16GB jailbroken and unlocked phone with intermittent wifi problems.

    I asked the seller about the wifi problems to which the response was that he wasn't sure why.

    Okay, my problem right there was thinking that the wifi 'intermittent' problem was perhaps down to his ISP provider and network coverage etc. I thought because I'd never had a problem with wireless that it could be something that could be overcome.

    So the phone arrives and it immediately sees my phone subscriber and there's Cydia and all sorts installed.....and I think yeah. Great phone, great condition etc.

    Only I could not get that wifi going no matter what I did. I read and read all sorts of resolutions. I also tried jailbreaking it again to 4.00, 4.01. and then down to 3.12. Only 3.12 was successful using Blackra1n. I also tried Redsnow, without any success. I guess I must've mucked up somewhere.

    On my other laptop, iTunes even recognised a previous backup from months ago, and I kept my fingers crossed that it would work (this was on the 3.12 version), but I ended up with my music, contacts and photos, but still with no wifi and also with no service.

    I've raised an issue with Ebay to return the damned thing, but I'm stuck with it until 10th October.

    And still without a workable phone or an internet provider.

    So if anyone in the world can provide me with a solution to this no wireless service, I'd be eternally grateful.

    If I haven't mentioned it before, the firmware is:

    05.13.04

    Thanks in advance for any light on this
    Last edited by muzicstar; 2010-09-30 at 11:01 PM.

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life jkmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,433
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 254 Times in 245 Posts

    So just to clarify: you bought the phone knowing that it had wifi problems and now you want to return it because it has wifi problems? Sorry it sounds to me that you got exactly what the seller advertised. Even with out wifi it's still usable as a cell phone.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    So just to clarify: you bought the phone knowing that it had wifi problems and now you want to return it because it has wifi problems? Sorry it sounds to me that you got exactly what the seller advertised. Even with out wifi it's still usable as a cell phone.

    No it is not useable as anything other than an ornament.

  4. #4
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Unfortunately, the seller told you that it had a wifi problem and wasn't sure why. You risked it by buying it, convincing yourself it could be overcome. From what you're describing, it's a hardware issue. The seller has no obligation to refund you.

    We can't help you in regards to fixing the issue cuz it definitely sounds like hardware. And when you say "firmware" it usually means 3.1.x or 4.0.x etc, 5.13.05 is the baseband (or MODEM firmware).

  5. #5
    So resell it eBay wow that was hard
    And say as is no returns accepted mail insurance included, you could go a step further and say it got damaged in shipping but I didn't say that as it's mail fraud

  6. #6
    Exactly. Sorry dude but the seller did nothing wrong he advertised the phone and sold it as is and you bought it. Nothing you can do.

    Just because it doesn't have wifi doesn't mean it's an ornament. Still usable as a phone/ipod and I would imagine 3G internet will work too.

    If you can't unlock the phone because of wireless issue, you can use Cyder2 to install ultrasn0w. Guide here: How to Unlock iPhone 3G/3GS with iOS 4 using ultrasn0w 0.9.3 without WiFi with Cyder [Guide] | iThinkDifferent

    Also I got a phone where the wifi wasn't working just a couple of days ago. I'm not sure exactly which fix sorted out the problem because I was doing them all at once but in the end it worked. I did this in this order:

    * Turn wifi on and off
    * Turn aeroplane mode on and off
    * Turn 3G internet off
    * Turn Data roaming off
    * Turn Bluetooth off
    * Reset Network Settings
    * Rebooted the phone

    After the reboot, the wifi was working again. Good luck dude.

  7. #7
    yeah. don't buy stuff and just "figure" that the problem's one thing, when it could be totally different.

  8. #8
    Livin the iPhone Life jkmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,433
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 254 Times in 245 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by muzicstar View Post
    No it is not useable as anything other than an ornament.
    It's very usable. Use either sn0wbreeze or pwnagetool to create a custom firmware. Have it include ultrasn0w as part of the package, and select to have the phone hacktivated. Then restore to that firmware. 5.13.04 is unlockable. Once the restore has finished pop in your sim. You'll have a phone that works on the cell network, just no wifi.

  9. #9
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    You probably got it dirt cheap with wifi problem, use it as an ipod.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by bellyfrog View Post
    Exactly. Sorry dude but the seller did nothing wrong he advertised the phone and sold it as is and you bought it. Nothing you can do.

    Just because it doesn't have wifi doesn't mean it's an ornament. Still usable as a phone/ipod and I would imagine 3G internet will work too.

    If you can't unlock the phone because of wireless issue, you can use Cyder2 to install ultrasn0w. Guide here: How to Unlock iPhone 3G/3GS with iOS 4 using ultrasn0w 0.9.3 without WiFi with Cyder [Guide] | iThinkDifferent

    Also I got a phone where the wifi wasn't working just a couple of days ago. I'm not sure exactly which fix sorted out the problem because I was doing them all at once but in the end it worked. I did this in this order:

    * Turn wifi on and off
    * Turn aeroplane mode on and off
    * Turn 3G internet off
    * Turn Data roaming off
    * Turn Bluetooth off
    * Reset Network Settings
    * Rebooted the phone

    After the reboot, the wifi was working again. Good luck dude.
    Thanks very much for offering some kind of solution. I've tried all the bulleted points and it's the same. That's why I tried going down to 3.12 and Itunes recognises a previous backup, but still no wifi. I will try your other suggestion too with ultrasnow.
    Last edited by muzicstar; 2010-10-01 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •